Help setting up a charging system for a Li battery in my 4Runner. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2024, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Help setting up a charging system for a Li battery in my 4Runner.

I bought a 12 volt, 100 Ah LiFePO4 battery recently. It is an LiTime mini and is pretty light-weight and portable. I have a 20 amp charger for that, that I can use to charge that when I have access to shore power, however, I would like to also set up something to charge the Li battery while I am driving. I plan to bring the battery into my 4Runner and keep it on the floor right behind the drivers seat. I am thinking I will get a Victron Orion tr-smart dc-dc charger, either the 12-12-18 or the 12-12 30 amp. I would love to get some advice about fusing and wire gauge and other set-up related issues.

I think what I am supposed to do is put some sort of fuse at the tow vehicle battery and then run some cables from there into the cab of the 4Runner. I am thinking I would have an SB50 Anderson PP connector somewhere close to where the wires come into the cab of the 4Runner (2008) and then I can just connect to that when I want to charge the Li battery.

Questions I have include:
1) Is 8 awg gauge wire be okay for the wire from the TV battery to the SB50 connector inside the 4Runner? The distance is pretty short so I am hoping that voltage drop wonít be a problem. I read that 8 awg is the largest diameter that fits into the inputs of the Orion tr-smart. Does that seem like a large enough diameter in terms of ampacityÖ?
2) How would I fuse that? I have read a little couple about midi or MRBF, but I donít really know that much about fuse types. What is the best type of fuse for this? What size of fuse should I use?
3) I am not sure where to locate the tr-smart. I am thinking somewhere inside the 4Runner between the Li battery I am charging and the SB50 which is connected to the TV alternator. Does it matter where that is located?
4) Regarding the wiring, should I bring in two wires or just one wire and try to use a common ground? What is the preference there? Does that relate to whether I get an isolated or non-isolated dc-dc charger?

Probably there are other things I should ask as well. Expert advice will be most welcome and appreciated!
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:09 PM   #2

Name: Phil
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Wisconsin
Modular battery system

I used the victron 12/12/18 charger. The instructions were pretty clear for wiring. I used a 60 amp fuse near the positive of the starter battery and ran 8 awg to the victron dc/dc charger which is mounted near the house (lithium) battery box. I used SB50 Anderson connectors on my battery box for incoming (red) and outgoing (grey) power. The battery box is portable so it contains everything needed when removed from my truck . Inside the box, beyond the battery, I used a 50 amp circuit breaker then 12 v fuse panel for power outlets, USB charging etc. the grey SB50 leaves the box enroute to another fuse box that powers the Maxx air fan, water pump, lights etc. I ran Black and Red power cables together and did not rely on common ground. In the future, I might mount a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter to the outside of the battery box. Photos to be downloaded.
Rx2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:14 PM   #3

Name: Phil
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Wisconsin
Modular . ......

Modular battery box photos.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20240619_174117856.jpg   PXL_20240619_174002943.jpg  

PXL_20240619_173921932.jpg   PXL_20240619_175326378.jpg  

Rx2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags