Help with 13’ Scamp 12v issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2023, 10:22 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Help with 13’ Scamp 12v issue

Hey all,

We recently pulled our scamp out for the first trip of the year. The battery had died so I replaced it and was excited to test all of the lights and fan, but once the new battery was connected nothing happened.

The electric set up in our ‘86 13’ scamp is very basic. The 12v system is powered by a deep cycle marine battery, which is hooked up to a solar controller/panel for charging.

The battery directly powers 3 led lights throughout the interior, our rooftop fan, and one 12v plug.

After placing the battery and discovering nothing worked, I replaced the inline fuse and fuses in the box and still no luck. For a next step I used a low voltage meter to test all wire connections and it seems that there is voltage throughout the full system.

I’m pretty new to all of this stuff but am puzzled as to what should be my next step.

I let the old battery sit for too long without a charge over the winter and it was toast. However when on the trickle charger the interior led lights worked, given that the scamp has just sat in the carport for a few months since then, I wasn’t expecting any issues when swapping for the new battery. There has been no change to any of the electrical system in the meantime.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dgates88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Make sure the positive and negative terminal connections are correct.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:29 PM   #3

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Dan, look behind the fuse box and see if there is a plug that is either loose or disconnected. My 13 foot Scamp has that come loose or out occasionally because the 25 foot electric cord used for shore power knocks it out of its socket. Don.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:19 PM   #4

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Hey @lynn and @kardon, thank you both for the suggestions I went through and redid/tightened all connections and found a loose ground but the main culprit was finding that the positive/negative cables coming into the trailer had been mislabeled. I had replaced the battery a few years ago and didn’t remember this being the case, but as soon as I switched that everything worked like a charm! Embarrassing to overlook such an obvious thing.

I appreciate the feedback and overall was worthwhile to go over the full electrical system for any future issues.
dgates88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp