Help With TV Wiring? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #1

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Help With TV Wiring?

My wiring on my tow vehicle (2014 Dodge Grand Caravan) is no longer working. I just got back from my mechanic and he tried to fix it. He replaced the 7 pin connector and still no running lights. He checked the trailer connection with another tow vehicle and everything worked as it was suppose to, so the problem is not in the trailer. He found a black wire that he could not see where it went to (any ideas?). Thank you for any feed help. Don.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Carefully check the fuses first. On Dodges, it can be hard to figure out which one does what. First, make sure none of them are burned out.

If you find a bad one, replace it an try the lights again. If they still don't work, see if the fuse you just replaced is burned out again. Then you'll be getting closer to finding an overload or short. If this happens, look for voltage in the seven pin with a volt/ohm meter and a new fuse. This will help you determine if there is a short in the TV or an overload in the trailer.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Your vehicle may have a powered light converter that requires power to it, although probably not if the turn lights work. I mention this because my son had one installed in his Toyota minivan and for it to work a fuse had to be installed in a specific location in a small fuse box on the right kick panel. The installer failed to put in that fuse. The only way I found the problem was by looking at the wiring installation video that I found on etrailers' web site. The video showed just where that fuse was. So maybe look on etrailer for their video and also you tube. I've found useful repair videos on you tube, info that I never would have figured out otherwise.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:36 PM   #4

Name: Ethan
Trailer: 2019 Parkliner
New York
Hi Kardon . We have that van too. Not saying your problem is this but. I went though two small electrical boxes(power converters) that are needed to run trailer lights . Those came from e-trailer. The power converter we are using now is NAPA 755-1841. This has been a good power converter.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Find amechanic that knows what he is doing. There is no reason a competent mechanic couldn't triubleshoot his way throughthis and fix it.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I agree find a better mechanic this is not rocket science ( 7 wires) also get a meter learn how to use it and save yourself a lot of headaches & time as wiring issues will always crop up
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #7

Maine
Thank you all for your feedback. I went out and bought a meter today. For some reason there are only 4 wires running from the Dodge to the connector. This stuff makes me crazy. Don.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:13 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. I went out and bought a meter today. For some reason there are only 4 wires running from the Dodge to the connector. This stuff makes me crazy. Don.
Obviously your vehicle did not come with an original tow package installation that can handle trailer brakes if it only has 4 wires. A 7 pin fitting has that many wires because it provides backup lights and wiring for the trailer brakes. But for a small 13 foot trailer without brakes you only need 4 wires. They don't normally put backup lights in as part of that setup. You can get an adapter that goes from a 7 pin fitting to a 4 pin.

Regular mechanics handle mechanical problems. You might instead want to take it to an automotive electrical shop or a place that installs towing packages.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Obviously your vehicle did not come with an original tow package installation that can handle trailer brakes if it only has 4 wires.

That depends. Just behind the driver side rear wheel on my RAV4 is a 4-pin connection that comes from the front of the vehicle. Wires from that 4-pin run up into the space where the driver side brake and running lights are. There is a converter there and the wires from that run to 7-pin connection at the receiver.

That's the way it was wired by the installer the Toyota dealer used and that's the way it was wired at a hitch shop when I had it replaced recently.
I know nothing about wiring so don't ask any questions.
I have a brake controller, electric brakes and everything works.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:38 AM   #10

Maine
We do have a brake controller and there seems to be wires not connected to the 7 pin. Everything has always worked before. Don.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #11

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Karen & Don

This sounds very similar to a problem I had with my 2017 Jeep Patriot with Factory tow package. Call your Dodge dealer and ask if you need a separate isolating sensing package to operate your trailer lights. The sensing module connects to your tail lights connectors and senses what is happening and applies the voltage to operate your trailer brake, flashers etc.
Very simple to install and hardest part was running the wiring back to the battery for power for the sensing unit. Get in touch with e-trailer and they can help you select the proper unit.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #12

Maine
Thanks all for your suggestions. I went out today and got the wiring fixed. Seems like there was some corrosion in a small section of the wiring. Don.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
Find amechanic that knows what he is doing. There is no reason a competent mechanic couldn't triubleshoot his way throughthis and fix it.

Absolutely
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #14

Nevada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
My wiring on my tow vehicle (2014 Dodge Grand Caravan) is no longer working. . . . He found a black wire that he could not see where it went to (any ideas?). . .
That sound suspiciously like a missing ground wire. An open ground can cause bizarre symptoms. You should have a connection diagram for the 7 pin trailer connector make sure the wire connected to the ground terminal on your vehicle is solidly connected to the chassis of the vehicle.

If you cannot see where this black wire is connected, you can measure it with your new multimeter. Use the Ohms scale and measure between the wire and the vehicle chassis. Be sure to find a spot on the chassis that is free from rust and paint. If the black wire is grounded, it should measure only a few Ohms.

This is pretty basic electricity. I agree if this is confusing your mechanic, you need to find a new one.
egfasdsdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Absolutely
That is the absolute BEST answer.
You went to the Wrong Person to get it fixed.

Anyone that knows wiring will solve this for you.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote