Help with wiring P4045 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #21

Name: Mark
Trailer: starcraft
Ohio
Not harsh at all. Different people do have different skill levels. To be fair, I considerd a sparkplug change a 4 out of 10(on most vehicles) and don't even rate changing a bulb I have always been pretty good at this kind of stuff, as long as I have complete or detailed directions. After having to ask several questions that should have been covered in the instruction booklet, it makes it seem much more difficult. If I had to do it over again and do it correctly with what I know now, it would take me less than 30 minutes. The longest time spent cutting the hole a little larger to fit this and testing the lines to see what goes where. I may still seperate a few of the lights from the fantastic fan as I have plenty of fuses.

Thanks for the use of your wisdom/experience/Skills I really do appreciate it!!
MPohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller
Quote: Last questions (for now).
1.) How do/where do I hook up Tow vehicle's wires coming in from the harness(Being a TC I only have 2) They both worked fine before my new project

Answers (WAG's Only)
1. A&B The charge line can connect directly to the battery or to the (+) terminal in the 4045, but be sure that it is fuse/circuit breaker protected close to the TV's battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPohio View Post
I use my tow vehicle's 7prong harness for my running lights and to charge the battery. They have two sets of fuses on the F150.
I think you may have misinterpreted some of Bob's advise in regards to a fuse close to the battery. The fuses on the F150 are protecting the truck not the trailer. Most trailers have an inline fuse right at the battery to protect the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #23

Ohio
Good point Carol. I did indeed misunderstand him. A lot of people don't run the 12v charger through their harness to the battery, they run a wire directly from the battery or alternator and need a fuse for that. I attached my TV wire directly to the pd4045 unit where my battery 12v attaches. Would I still need a fuse doing it that way, if so what amp fuse would you suggest.

Thanks, MP>
Old 05-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #24

Registry
Scamp actually has two inline fuses on their trailers and I believe that both are 30 amp. One is located right on the line coming off the battery before it connects into the main black power line coming from the seven pin tug connection. The other is located on the main black power line itself that runs to the converter but the fuse is on the line just as it enters the trailer before the line goes off to the converter or any other appliances lights etc...
Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #25

Ohio
Thanks Carol. I will look into that. Mine was built in 1999 and the technology is probably even older than that Technology has definately improved in the last 15 years, so I am currently much better off than I was before, but there is always room for improvement

Mark>
Old 05-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPohio View Post
Thanks Carol. I will look into that. Mine was built in 1999 and the technology is probably even older than that Technology has definately improved in the last 15 years, so I am currently much better off than I was before, but there is always room for improvement

Mark>
Hummm not sure technology as great deal to do with it. Simply extra safety measures to take to ensure you don't fry up your trailer, tug, converter or battery ..... stick around .... stuff happens that no one expected .... including an RV tech installing a battery backwards frying up a converter on a new trailer... yup stuff happens!
Old 05-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #27

Ohio
That is why I asked sooooo many questions... to make sure I was doing it correctly. Especially when I am in uncharted territory. I have always been proactive when it comes to these things. If it looks like it might fail or have a problem, I replace it now.
I had two VW Rialtas before this camper. They were great, but I just got tired of dealing with one issue after another My f150 is pretty much servicealbe by me or anywhere in the US. I did all my work on my VWs, from complete tune-up, installed Tranny coolers, plugs &wires, to just about everything including new wiring. When I travel, I want zero gray areas, especially not knowing what the person who owned it before me did. Plus most manufacturers always cut corners to maximize profits.

I plan on taking this from Ohio to AZ then up to Oregon & WA. I just want to enjoy my adventure rather than dealing with crap that could have been avoided. Plus if something does happen on the road, I am familiar with it and can usually fix it in minute!!