Help with wiring P4045 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: starcraft
Ohio
Help with wiring Progressive Dynamics PD4045

I am kind of stumped on only 1 aspect of the install. The AC black wire(hot) from the shore power line into my box... Does that go directly on the breaker or on the screw holding the metal strip directly behind the fuse(or somewhere else)? My only breaker is a dual one 15/20 (see pic of my old PC)

Questions:
1.) Where do I attach the shore power Black/hot AC wire? Looks like it goes to a 30amp breaker in the second pic
2.) Where do you attach the lights/appliance white wires? I have seen them grouped and attached to the a wire from the neg on the battery.
3.) What breakers should I use? I only have 2 outlets AC and a future Airconditioner(and most likely a 30 main).
4.) Do you run the ground wire from the chasis to the PD4045 ac side or do you rely on the shore power to act as the ground?
5.) Finally, in the second pic on the right lower side, it shows 120v hot but doesn't have anything attached. Mine has the a wire going from the converter side to it, but the pic has that wire going to a breaker. What is the correct way?

New PD4045(not mine, but a pic I found)

Oh, I installed a 400w dc to ac converter for my TV. should I connect that directly to my battery or use one of the 2 30amp red dc wired fuses?

Thanks, MP.
MPohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #2

Ohio
I think I am going to have to get some new breaker. My old one is a single contact breaker and the PD4045 looks like a dual contact breaker.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
30 A wont work for your 400 W inverter.

400 W / 12 VDC = 33.3 A

You should get a 40 A fuse, and wire to match. I'd go with #6 to the inverter.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #4

Ohio
Thanks Dave. Could I just wire it to the batter? It came with to batter clips, but since I have a new power panel, I was just going to make use of as much as I can.

PS> any idea on the main power cord? Does it go into a breaker or on the box itself?

thanks< Mark>
Old 05-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
BOB MILLER WHERE ARE YOU?

Bob just loves the PD4045. He can tell you everything you want to know about it. I'm sure he will be along shortly. If not, send him a PM.

The inverter can come straight off the battery. Probably best that way. They draw lots of current and the less connections between the inverter and the battery, the better. But please don't forget the fuse.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #6

Ohio
Yeah, I hope bob chimes in here. I have been doing a bunch of reading and am more confused about the DC side which I will add to the OP.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Ohio
Direct to breaker goes the black shore wire
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPohio View Post
Yeah, I hope bob chimes in here. I have been doing a bunch of reading and am more confused about the DC side which I will add to the OP.
Click on his name Send him a PM - if he is around that will get his attention.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #9

Ohio
Thanks Carol. I sent him one. I am pretty well getting things under control after watching quite a few videos on the subject. I just want to make sure I do it correctly.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Okey-Dokey
First, you need a minimum of three breakers + one more for the future A/C if you want.

Breaker #1 is the Main, connect the hot lead from the line cord to the bottom of the first breaker. That way the first breaker feeds the buss bar at the top that the additional breakers are attached to.

The next one is the small breaker for the Converter power wire, it connects to the bottom of the 2nd breaker. Connect the ac outlets to the bottom of the third breaker and the 4th breaker will be reserved for the future a/c.

The battery connects to the terminals provided and is automatically linked to the charger and the DC Buss/fuses. The wires on the back are numbered by fuse position, connect your dc loads to each wire and install appropriate sized fuses. It's better to use more fuses than less, that way you don't loose more than one thing if you blow a fuse.

I run a separate ground wire for the DC circuits from the battery to a terminal strip of some sort to use for the DC loads.

More questions????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #11

Ohio
Awesome Bob and much Thanks!!
I did Figure out some of it, but was fuzzy on the the breaker setup. The previous box must have been wired by monkeys They had everything running to a two stage breaker and 3 fuses.

I used my volt meter resistance mode to find the 3 lights and vent fan lead(Amazing what you can learn through youtube). They are all wired together and will all be on one fuse. The only other ones I need to isolate are the Fridge & Furnace wires.

Last questions (for now).
1.) How do/where do I hook up Tow vehicle's wires coming in from the harness(Being a TC I only have 2) They both worked fine before my new project
A.) First charges the 12v system
B.) Second activates the running lights on the camper
2.) what are/where the blue fuse holders used for(fuse was labeled 1 (see pic below)
3.) is there a chart somewhere to show what size fuses should go to what?
A.) fuses for furnace, lights/fan, 12volt outlet,
B.) size breaker for outlet, future Air cod hookup, Main(30amp?)

Old 05-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Help with wiring P4045

If you want the space, you can also install dual breakers. That gets you the 30 amp main, plus 6 circuits.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1399638254.201762.jpg  
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #13

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1399638514.144129.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	70822
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #14

Ohio
I really only need 1 main and at most 3 other breakers. What type of breakers do you have(they are printed on the front of the breaker(hom,homt,br,brd, tb,tbbd, ...) ? I need to buy some but not sure of the type. I have seen 30 HOM as the main and HOMT as the branch breakers in the picture I posted of another unit. I am not sure what requires 15 or 20 amp breakers.
What I have:
1.) fridge
2.) 2 110v outlets
3.) future Airconditoner hookup

DC:fuse sizes?
1.) furnace
2.) 3 lights and fantastic fan(all wired together
3.) 12v outlet
4.)
Old 05-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #15

Quote: Last questions (for now).
1.) How do/where do I hook up Tow vehicle's wires coming in from the harness(Being a TC I only have 2) They both worked fine before my new project
A.) First charges the 12v system
B.) Second activates the running lights on the camper
2.) what are/where the blue fuse holders used for(fuse was labeled 1 (see pic below)
3.) is there a chart somewhere to show what size fuses should go to what?
A.) fuses for furnace, lights/fan, 12volt outlet,
B.) size breaker for outlet, future Air cod hookup, Main(30amp?)

Answers (WAG's Only)

1. A&B The charge line can connect directly to the battery or to the (+) terminal in the 4045, but be sure that it is fuse/circuit breaker protected close to the TV's battery
The running lights have no connection with the power chassis.

2. Are the "Blue Fuse Holders" in the 4045, otherwise I don't have a clue.

3. Might be, but the best way is to measure actual load and use an appropriate sized fuse. I use a lot of 5, 10 & 15 amp fuses. Lights: 10 amp, Furnace 10 amp, 12 vdc outlet 15 amps Water pump 10 amp.
AC outlets 15/20 amp
A/C 20 amp (Can't be bigger than the main.)

BTW: Do you have a good fire extinguisher? Is it nearby?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #16

Ohio
Thanks bob, and yes I do have a smaller fire extinguisher. I do appreciate your help on all this. I use my tow vehicle's 7prong harness for my running lights and to charge the battery. They have two sets of fuses on the F150.

What are the 2 red wires for on the pd4045(the first two fuses ont the board? Is there anything specific I should use them for?

Yes the blue things are fuse holders 1amp. I think one went to the smoke detector and the CO alarms.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #17

I haven't seen the RED wires before. It looks like they are heavier, for bigger fuses and loads. I woul d suggest the Furnace and Refrigerator or 12VDC outlets. What does the current instruction sheet say about them?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #18

Ohio
Ok, I got it all hooked up and and everything works.... Except it doesn't charge my battery or run the lights. There is a black wire from the converter side to the lower left side and is plugged into 120v hot. I am guessing I need to put that somewhere else, but where???

**The pic of someone elses setup shows it in a 15amp breaker. is that the right place?

I am going to owe Bob a few beers or coffee after this

EDIT> Shows that it is connected to a branch breaker. Do I need a dedicated breaker for it or can I pair it into another?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #19

Ohio
Ok, I hooked it up to a branch breaker 15a all by itself(Had a choice between 15a and 20a). Everything works as it should and getting a 13.6ish charge on the battery reading while plugged into shore.

To sum it up. It was much harder than it needed to be. Should have been a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10, instead it was about a 6. The PD4045 has gotten rave reviews all over the net. The directions might as well not even exist. Not sure if they do this for liability purposes, to get you to go to an electrician or they just don't care It is like they were written in china, translated in India and printed in Michigan!!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #20

Not to be harsh, but installing a PD-4045 isn't like changing a light bulb. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would call it a 5 for someone with basic electrical skills.

And because different trailer builders wire somewhat differently and who knows what all of the previous owners of a 20 y.o. trailer might have done, it's impossible to make it a novice level installation.

It's not really designed to be installed by a non-electrician type if, for not other reason, to keep things from being burned up.