Hitch wiring harness - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2024, 01:47 PM   #1

Name: Dail
Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr
California
Registry
Hitch wiring harness

Question about wiring harnesses. I'm replacing the "plugs into the tow vehicle" cable, and unsure if there's a quality difference in the brands. I can get a Mictuning brand cable for about $35, Bargman and Hopkins are 2-3 times as much for what appears to be the same sort of cable. Thoughts on which is better? Thanks!
Dail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:54 PM   #2

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
I tend to stick with brands I've used previously, but the price difference you mentioned had me look up the "Mictuning" brand I'd not been aware of.
I'm not thrilled that the images in their ads are all CAD created, not actual product. That has me skeptical of their build and/or assembly quality.
Still, Where are Bargman and Hopkins product also made? I'd expect those are also from 'off-shore' as well.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:21 PM   #3

California
Registry
That's sort of my feeling. I've heard of Bargman, even if they're made off-shore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon MB View Post
I tend to stick with brands I've used previously, but the price difference you mentioned had me look up the "Mictuning" brand I'd not been aware of.
I'm not thrilled that the images in their ads are all CAD created, not actual product. That has me skeptical of their build and/or assembly quality.
Still, Where are Bargman and Hopkins product also made? I'd expect those are also from 'off-shore' as well.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:55 PM   #4

Name: Troy
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dail View Post
Question about wiring harnesses. I'm replacing the "plugs into the tow vehicle" cable, and unsure if there's a quality difference in the brands. I can get a Mictuning brand cable for about $35, Bargman and Hopkins are 2-3 times as much for what appears to be the same sort of cable. Thoughts on which is better? Thanks!
I recently replace mine and went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From what I researched, having a single blade connector is better than the sandwich style
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:43 AM   #5

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
From what I researched, having a single blade connector is better than the sandwich style
That is counter intuitive to me.

Two contact points for power conduction reduce the amperage through each point. Maybe not a critical item with regards to low amperage LED brake light bulbs, but enough of a concern for higher amperage battery power contact and high amperage electric brake power. Even multiple incandescent running and clearance lights can get up there in power consumed. And then the sum of all that power through the different single contacts has to get back to the TV through the single contact ground connection?
Opposing contact points (can) double the total contact force, particularly if either half of a single blade in the plug or socket gets slightly bent.

It's like: Pick a card, any card. But you can only use one finger to pull it out of the fanned deck I'm holding..
Old 03-01-2024, 07:53 AM   #6

Texas
Quote:
That is counter intuitive to me.

Two contact points for power conduction reduce the amperage through each point. Maybe not a critical item with regards to low amperage LED brake light bulbs, but enough of a concern for higher amperage battery power contact and high amperage electric brake power. Even multiple incandescent running and clearance lights can get up there in power consumed. And then the sum of all that power through the different single contacts has to get back to the TV through the single contact ground connection?
Opposing contact points (can) double the total contact force, particularly if either half of a single blade in the plug or socket gets slightly bent.

It's like: Pick a card, any card. But you can only use one finger to pull it out of the fanned deck I'm holding..
I don't disagree.

When I picked up my brand new Casita in Dec 23, on the way home I got several disconnect warnings in my truck. I sprayed contact cleaner in the truck 7 pin, looked at all of the connectors, they were all fine.

We took it out right after Christmas, and got the same disconnect warnings. Did a bit of research before calling Casita back, knowing that intermittent issues are darn near impossible to track down. It may be on this site that I found it out, but I have since changed out the cord on the Casita, and will be taking it out again in two weeks. Be interesting to see if I have the same issues or not.

I found and attached the document I was referring to.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7 pin.pdf (174.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-02-2024, 07:38 AM   #7

Massachusetts
Without any context, or thread commentary, pertaining to that one file, I re-iterate my disagreement with the file's claim that a blade next to a blade is superior for electrical connection compared to that of a blade that is funneled into, and then squeezed between, two opposed blades.
Could you link to the thread (or whatever source) the pdf is associated with?
Old 03-02-2024, 08:45 AM   #8

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I had to replace the stock plug on my Casita. I did just the plug and it was a PIA. I'd get the entire cable with a molded plug if I had it to do over. Whatever you get, try it in the TV receptacle before you start wiring. Some don't fit securely.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:56 AM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I had to replace the stock plug on my Casita. I did just the plug and it was a PIA. I'd get the entire cable with a molded plug if I had it to do over. Whatever you get, try it in the TV receptacle before you start wiring. Some don't fit securely.

Same. The wires are too large and the space too small to really work in. I tried it and was not happy with the results, hence replacing with an entire assemble.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:58 AM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Without any context, or thread commentary, pertaining to that one file, I re-iterate my disagreement with the file's claim that a blade next to a blade is superior for electrical connection compared to that of a blade that is funneled into, and then squeezed between, two opposed blades.
Could you link to the thread (or whatever source) the pdf is associated with?
I found it on the Casita forum when I was researching trailer disconnects.

Like I said, I was having disconnect issues with a brand new trailer. I will be going camping in two weeks. If I continue to get disconnect warnings, I will look at the truck end, if not, I will claim success without understanding the mechanics of it.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:17 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Harness

I have always been happy with Hoppy. Bargman has been around a long time and Iíve used Bargman on my boat trailer and utility trailer..
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:53 AM   #12

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
....I will claim success without understanding the mechanics of it.
I do the same with gravity. It works, consistently and predictably, but I can't wrap my head around the whole warped space, Higgs boson, 'cause' of a gravity effect.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:58 PM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: Holidaire
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dail View Post

I note that you say that you're replacing the 'plug' ... If you are just replacing the connection then just make sure it's the same type, looks the same, fits the same.
However, if you are replacing the cable right back to the junction box, beware that not all are wired the same. I bought a plug and cable kit off Amazon and couldn't figure why the colour coded wiring didn't match up. It turns our that there is more than one wiring diagram. For example utility trailers ... I had to use a tester to find which wire I had to change. If I had just changed the plug I likely wouldn't have had that problem. Live and learn. (Amazon didn't stipulate which configuration it was for.)
matthfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:17 PM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
OPL5 7 Way Trailer Plug 8 Feet Heavy Duty Inline Trailer Cord with 7 Gang Wiring Junction Box Weatherproof 7 Pin Trailer Wiring Harness for Campers Caravans Food Vans https://a.co/d/3ZT33tn
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 07:33 PM   #15

California
Registry
I'm replacing the entire cable. And I discovered what you did, that there are different color code "standards" so, while I'm pretty sure I got the one that will match my old wiring, I'm going to double check everything before hooking it up permanently

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthfam View Post
I note that you say that you're replacing the 'plug' ... If you are just replacing the connection then just make sure it's the same type, looks the same, fits the same.
However, if you are replacing the cable right back to the junction box, beware that not all are wired the same. I bought a plug and cable kit off Amazon and couldn't figure why the colour coded wiring didn't match up. It turns our that there is more than one wiring diagram. For example utility trailers ... I had to use a tester to find which wire I had to change. If I had just changed the plug I likely wouldn't have had that problem. Live and learn. (Amazon didn't stipulate which configuration it was for.)
Old 03-19-2024, 05:51 AM   #16

Texas
As a follow up. Took the camper out last weekend. Did not get a single trailer disconnect message. Will consider replacing the cable a success.