Honda 2200 starting problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Honda 2200 starting problem

I like my 2200 Honda, but it will not start in cold weather with out starting fluid. Any one else have this problem? I have only twice needed it in cold (under 30 f) and used starting fluid both times. I'm going to start keeping in a heated area. My 5000 watt Hobart starts in any weather but is to big to load in the T/V.
Attached Thumbnails
2200i.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #2

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Mine won’t start easily if it has been stored for weeks. I take off the air filter cover and squirt a little gas on the filter.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
Safer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Mine won’t start easily if it has been stored for weeks. I take off the air filter cover and squirt a little gas on the filter.
That sounds much safer than starting fluid.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Do you shut the fuel off and run it until it stalls when your done with it? Does it have a primer pump on the carb? Have you read and follow the owners manual?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Registry
No on both

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Do you shut the fuel off and run it until it stalls when your done with it? Does it have a primer pump on the carb? Have you read and follow the owners manual?
I do not shut the fuel off and it is a closed unit and even when open I have not noticed a primer. It's great in warm weather.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:33 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Sometimes it helps to crank over the engine without starting to prime the carb. On one of my generators the manufacturer suggests pulling the engine over 10 or more times slowly to get the fuel into the carb.
The one I am talking about is the Harbor Freight Predator 2500 and if you do that for the first time it starts easily and you haven't worn yourself out cranking it hard.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
That’s a good idea. I will try it on mine next time.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I love the notion that I should pull the cord ten times, and then it should start "the first time", on the eleventh pull.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:47 PM   #9

Name: Ethan
Trailer: 2019 Parkliner
New York
Honda 2200 starting problem

I strongly recommend K 100 for all small engines. Not saying thats whats wrong, but it is good stuff.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Registry
Harbor Freight

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
The one I am talking about is the Harbor Freight Predator 2500 and if you do that for the first time it starts easily and you haven't worn yourself out cranking it hard.
Of the THREE small Harbor Freight generators that I have been around, None choked to full choke. If we held a hand over the air intake to get full choke they always started.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
They can be hard to start if they are cold. If they haven’t run for a while and are
A little low on oil, rock them from side to side to make sure the low oil shutoff is not triggered. I like 87 octane fuel with no ethanol rather than the 87 with 10 percent corn. There is no primer bulb to my knowledge
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Registry
Sea Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
I strongly recommend K 100 for all small engines. Not saying thats whats wrong, but it is good stuff.
Or here in the Mid-west we use Sea Foam (from MINNESOTA) fuel additive added to non ethanol gas in all small engines. I use about 1 OZ / gallon.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #13

Florida
Just pull the starter cord through slowly and easily through a number of times to prime the carb. It's easy to do and rather than pull like you are going to start it.
If the carb has gas in it to the jets it will start easily If you ran it empty then you need to replace the fuel in the carb, just saying.
Starts on the first pull ..... after priming.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #14

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Of the THREE small Harbor Freight generators that I have been around, None choked to full choke. If we held a hand over the air intake to get full choke they always started.
This sounds like the real issue. Not getting a full choke. All CARB approved engines are set as lean as possible these days.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #15

Florida
I recently put a new carburetor on a project Hustler Zero Turn mower and I was surprised that it took pulling the choke to start when "cold" even in the summer heat down here in Florida.
They build them to run lean these days, I guess.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I have to choke my z turn every time I start it up for the first time. It has a 27hp
Kawasaki engine.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #17

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Two things come to mind with my two 2000s.
1. If they have been sitting for a few weeks, etc. turn on the fuel/switch and wait about 5 minutes for the fuel to fill the bowl that may have evaporated somewhat.

2. Had starting problems on cold mornings in Colorado one summer. Changed to a lower viscosity oil and they cranked right up.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #18

Smith Valley, Nevada
Generator engines, with carburetors, have their own particular problem with starting. It's the governor. When the engine is running, the governor is controlling the throttle to maintain the proper RPM. If the engine gets loaded a bit and begins to slow down, the governor opens the throttle farther to compensate. When the engine gets shut off, the governor immediately goes to full throttle to try to speed the engine back up. The ignition and the governor are not communicating with each other. So, when it's time to start the engine, it is already at full throttle. Carburetors work by creating a vacuum across drilled ports in the intake tract. At cranking speed, that vacuum is almost nothing because the throttle is wide open. So, the engine needs additional fuel added in some other way than simply by normal intake air velocity through the carburetor. The enrichening system does this by either choking the intake, or pumping in added fuel with a primer bulb. Choking can be the better method because cold engines must have a richer mixture and the choke continues to make the mixture richer until it (the choke) is turned off, but a primer only gives it one shot. The choke is simply a valve near the outside end of the carburetor that restricts the air supply. It causes a much stronger vacuum at the drilled ports at cranking speeds, this simulates high RPM vacuum and causes higher fuel flow into the engine to help it start. The engine gets enough fuel to not only start, but to start when cold. The problem comes from designing the engine to be CARB (California Air Resources Board), compliant. Or, run absolutely as lean as possible, and still able to reliably start.

If the engine is not getting choked adequately for starting, it may be possible to adjust it by bending the lever, or filing the stop, or just making sure it is working as designed. Or you may have to give it a whiff of ether sometimes, a good method that will not hurt a gas engine, and is very easy to do.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
My 2000i is hard to start sometimes, even here in Florida in all seasons. It will start, just not right off sometimes. Not what I would expect out of a high dollar machine but there it is.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #20

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
My Ryobi 2200 acts pretty well the same.
If it has run previously the same day it'll start on one or two pulls. The next day it may take up to 6 pulls. Much longer and it'll take 10-12 pulls. I will try the 10 soft pulls next time. That would be an improvement.
I haven't noticed any worse behavior in cold weather, but maybe I'm just not paying attention.

BTW, has anyone done a careful comparison of the Honda 2000 and 2200 to see if it's more than just a marketing ploy?