Humming noise on shake down trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #1

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Hi. I am sitting in my new 2014 Scamp 13 on our first night out. So far so good but my questions are: 1) while sleeping I noticed a humming noise and slight vibration. I walked around outside and it appears to be louder inside. I've used the sink and commode. I don't have hot water but I believe that is because I did not light the pilot. I am hooked up to 30 watt power. I'm not going to burn up my heating coil am I? Could the vibrating/him be the fridge? It was not cooling but I noticed a switch to the left of the sink. I turned it on so maybe it will cool now. How long does it take? The Scamp is pretty level but a little raised in the front. Everything else is working fine. Just the noise and, fridge issue and me not really knowing about getting hot water. 2) Are there any forums or places to look to find out how to use my Scamp and all the little things I need to do etc? My literature was very basic and not much help at all. Any advice, from your experiences, would be greatly appreciated. I can't sleep thinking I'm burning something up with this humming and slight vibration. Thanks!!

UPDATE: I flipped the switch next to the electrical outlet off and the humming stopped. New questions:
1) what does this switch operate and did I do any damage running it for a few hours? It's on the left side of the sink.
2) how do I get the fridge to work?
3) how do I get hot water?

Like I stated, this is not in my literature I received.
Hman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Trouble shooting long distance can be difficult. But, I'll try to give some thoughts. My guess it's the fan in the converter you're hearing. The converter is located under the dinette street side bench. Which probably is right under your head when in bed. When you look under the table you can see part of it on the face of the bench. This would happen if you run a lot of lights in the evening. It's nothing to worry about, everything is working as it should.

I notices you indicated you were connected to 30 Watt power. The proper term in 30 Amp power.

2) Scamp should have given you a pretty good walk through but it's almost impossible to remember everything. Therefore this can be a good place to ask question about how things work. Another resource is Scampers Yahoo Group, which is devoted to Scamp trailers. I both cases many who answer will answer according to the trailer they have, which often isn't the same as a 13' Scamp.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Hman, welcome to the forum. I believe that the hum & vibration is coming from the converter. Switch off each circuit breaker until the noise goes away, or unplug the trailer to see if the hum goes away. I don't know what is a normal db hum, as I purchased our 13' Scamp used, and the converter quit working shortly after the hum/vibration was VERY loud. Your 3 way refrigerator will need to be turned on from the outside by opening up the louvered door behind it and turn the knob to the appropriate setting (110 volt while plugged into power, 12 volt if your tow vehicle is wired to supply power to your trailer battery, or Propane if you are camping without 110 volt power supply). It will take several hours to start feeling like it is cooling. I would just call Scamp and ask your questions directly to them, as there may be some changes in appliances from my 1990 to your 2014. Good luck and many happy trails with your new purchase.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #4

Alabama
Thanks Byron ...as always, good advice. I had it delivered so no walk through at all. It was here are the keys and your paperwork. Please note my questions. I posted. I don't know what that switch is for. It stopped the noise and humming.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:56 AM   #5

Alabama
Thanks. David. Now I'm worried I may have damaged something by turning the switch on which most likely something to do with the converter. ???

I thought there was a control panel behind those louvered doors and tried to open them in the dark. Any suggestion how to get in? Do I use a screwdriver and turn the rubber like screws? Just making sure. I'll open both in the morning to become knowledgeable. Like I said, no walk through nor literature. Thx.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
[QUOTE=Hman66;427094]Thanks. David. Now I'm worried I may have damaged something by turning the switch on which most likely something to do with the converter. ???

Hman, I don't believe you damaged anything. You simply turned off the converter, so it is not operating when it is quiet. If everything electrical was off as you tried to sleep, the humming/vibration from the converter was probably just a result of it trying to charge your battery. Like Byron stated in his post, you noticed the noise because your head is right over the converter while lying down. The noise is probably normal, but talk to Scamp about it.
My louvered door is aluminum, and has a turn knob at each bottom corner, which when turned 1/4 turn allows the door to hinge upward, thus exposing the backside of the refrigerator and the knobs to turn it on.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If the humming noise isn't the converter, could it be the water pump? You mentioned a switch next to the sink. That's where the switch is for the water pump in my Scamp.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I think it is the water pump like Donna suggested. If you have no water pressure, no city water or water in your tank the pump will continue to run. The pump will run quite a while before it is damaged.
After you turn the gas on try lighting your range first. This will help purge air out of the gas lines. Lighting the frig. and W/H take a little while when first used until air is purged from the gas line.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Donna, your so smart! There's nothing wrong with your convertor.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #10

Alabama
Thank you all for helping these newbies through their maiden voyage. My questions:
1). How do I use the water pump? When I did not have it on I had good pressure at the sink. Would I run it for the shower?
2) turning on the hot water. Is this switch or knob in the louvered panel with the switch for my fridge? I am on 30 amp right now.
3) my sweetie uses the sink like at home. How do I know when the grey tank is filled up without looking? I would just lie to know if it would pool in the sink.
4) same question for the black water tank. I do know to flush the black water tank and then move the hose to the grey water to help clean it.
Donna, I did not let them install the stinky slinky tube. It's in the closet until I install a larger one.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
H
Go to the Scamp website and check out the videos in the owners manual section. They should answer most of your questions.
Eddie
Owner's Manuals - Scamp Trailers
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #12

Alabama
I will Eddie when I get home but it doesn't help me today.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If the humming noise isn't the converter, could it be the water pump? You mentioned a switch next to the sink. That's where the switch is for the water pump in my Scamp.
that was my first guess as to what it was as well. And yes if no water in the holding tank and the pump is running it can damage the pump if left running dry.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I think the fridge is a Dometic 2193. If so this will take you to the manual in the document center.

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Dometic_Refr_Manual_RM2191_2193

The Scamp manual appears to be there as well.

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Scamp

In regard to noises in the night: No matter what I've had to eat the night before, all noises, snoring, nasty smells, etc. are the dog. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman66 View Post
Thank you all for helping these newbies through their maiden voyage. My questions:
1). How do I use the water pump? When I did not have it on I had good pressure at the sink. Would I run it for the shower?

You are connected to City water with a hose so you do not need the water pump for anything. It should not be on. Thats the switch by the electrical outlet. Only need to turn on the water pump if you are using water from the fresh water holding tank. You need to fill the tank using the outside filler port in order to do that. When hooked up to City Water the water system totally bypasses the tank and pump and everything will work without the pump. If you have a shower then you *may* need to turn on the floor pump for that in order to get the water pumped back to the grey water tank - there should be a separate switch in the bathroom for that. Again only turn on that pump if you have water going through the floor drain.

2) turning on the hot water. Is this switch or knob in the louvered panel with the switch for my fridge? I am on 30 amp right now.

Did they not even give you the manuals for all your appliances? The hot water tank is going to be in a different outside compartment than your fridge. It will normally be on the same side of the trailer that the sink is located. On the outside drop down panel there may be instructions for starting it stuck to the inside of the panel. Without knowing if its an electric or propane heater or both or if it has an electric start or if its one you need to manually light (as mine is) it would be hard to tell you how to light it correctly. Note that when connected to City Water unless the trailer has a bypass system the hot water tank will normally fill up automatically. Do not turn on the tank unless you are sure it has water in it. You should release the pressure valve and have water come out of it to be sure it is filled - also helps to let air pockets out of it to make sure it fills up all the way.

3) my sweetie uses the sink like at home. How do I know when the grey tank is filled up without looking? I would just lie to know if it would pool in the sink.

Unfortunately laying under the trailer will not tell you. Unless Scamp has put in different holding tanks that you can see through. Its one of those things that without a tank monitor that you pretty will have to guess at based on experience. Harder to learn/know when running off city water and having an endless supply of water but easier if running off the fresh water tanks - I know for example if I gone through 2 1/2 full tanks of fresh water I am getting real close to needing to drain off the grey water tank. Worst case scenario is that if you have a shower pan you will walk into the bathroom one night and your feet will get wet as the grey water tank has backed up into the shower pan. Or at least thats been my experience with an older Scamp.

4) same question for the black water tank. I do know to flush the black water tank and then move the hose to the grey water to help clean it.
Donna, I did not let them install the stinky slinky tube. It's in the closet until I install a larger one.
Not sure what you mean by moving the hose to the grey water tank. When you flush the tank you should not need to do anything more - no moving of hoses etc - all the water generated when you flush the toilet goes into the blank tank. If you flush the tank & keep the pedal up or down for a moment you should be able to see the water level in it. But yes when you dump out the tanks do the black water tank first then the grey water in order to help with cleaning out the slinky hose.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Enjoy your new trailer!!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #16

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
As Donna mentioned, that switch is the pump. There are two water systems , pressure coming in from the street (the hose) and the pump pulling water out of the fresh water tank. My guess is that you were attached to the water hose (so had water pressure) and no water in the fresh water tank. If you are attached to city water, then you do not need the pump, you will only need that if you are not on city water (the hose) AND you have water in the fresh water tank.

I had the same "humming noise". Because I have a water leak, I had emptied my fresh water tank, and I accidentally hit the switch during the night. It really isn't a stellar location for the switch.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Looks like you're getting most of your questions answered as best they can. In the paper you were given when the trailer was delivered should have been all the manuals for the appliances, hot water heater, refrigerator, etc. None of them are very thick, but operating information is there in most cases with some pictures and diagrams.

The refrigerator controls are only accessible from the outside, there's pane outside that opens, I believe the newer trailers has two latches. Inside you will probably find two knobs, a red button, a large rocker switch and small rocker switch. Since you're plugged into shore power the larger rocker switch and the knob closest to are the what you need to turn on. Make sure small rocker switch is off the knob by the red button is off. Set knob by the large rocker switch to mid range. It could take up to 8 hours for the refrigerator get cold. The manual will explain the rest.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #18

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
BTW, the refri is not a compressor type which means that it is always on, which means that it drops the temperature by X degrees which amount depends on the rotation of the switch. Not so obvious, it ALSO depends on the season. If it is set to reduce ambient by 40 degrees and the OUTSIDE of the fridge is at 80 degrees, then the inside temperature will be 40 degrees. However as winter comes on and the OUTSIDE temp of the refri drops to 50, the inside will start freezing.

Bear in mind that the refri is kind of half in and half out of the interior of the caravan (I love that word). The back is in a compartment exposed to the outside world temperature.

Anyway, just remember that as the seasons change, the temperature inside of the refri will change as well, tracking the outside temperature.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #19

Registry
A small indoor outdoor wireless weather station works well for keeping an eye on the actual fridge temps. I picked one up one with a small sending unit (about 2" square) that I put in the fridge. The main unit is on the wall in the kitchen area and it tells me the temp in the fridge as well as in the trailer itself. The read out unit on mine is also pretty small - only about 3" by 3" - a bit hard to find the ones with the small read out units as many have way more functions so need a bigger screen. The one I have looks a bit like this one: EBay Wireless Temperature Sensor Indoor / Outdoor Thermometer Weather Station Clock. Cheap but does the trick.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #20

Alabama
Good one Raz!! I got the fridge to work. Now, just figuring out how to work the hot water heater.