I have a question Why do I need a converter? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
I don't stop on the side of the road.... Period!
Well perhaps you may not be camping on the side of the road, but its been my experience while traveling around most of the west and mid west of NA that some of the most beautiful and memorable camping locations have not had any power available.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you are going to run an a/c and maybe a microwave at the same time you will need 30 amp service to keep from tripping c/g breakers. This just means a heavier shore cable, a 30 amp main breaker and 2-3 15 or 20 amp breakers for the inside plugs and a/c.

But keep in mind: a) that you will be building an FGRV that will have very limited appeal when you want to sell some day, b) That, unless you plan way ahead and tend to just stay in a very few places most of the time, that there may be a night or 10 that you will want/have to stay somewhere without hook-ups, meaning almost all most federal and state parks, overnight rest areas and an occasional Wal-Mart parking, c) that the big guys with the Class "A" super M/H's & 35' trailers with 10 slide outs are often using all of the powered sites in a campground and there may not be power available, d) that staying every night with full hook-ups can get very expensive, upwards of $40-$60 a night.

Should you want to reconsider, you might investigate the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 power center, it will provide everything you need for power in your trailer AC/DC/Battery Charging.

BTW: Based on your questions, I would also suggest that you get some knowledgeable help in wiring, especially the 120 circuits.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #23

Battery Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
Just to touch on the battery/converter/inverter issue. What type of battery is needed and how long do they last? I'm sure they are hooked up to the converter/inverter somewhere along the line in order to charge the battery. Is the battery costly or do people carry more than one?
-------------------------------------------------

Again, Read, Read and Read before going any further.....

Trailer batteries are usually deep cell batteries, either group 24 or 27, and cost about $100. They will also require a charger for that application to avoid overcharging and damaging the battery. The afore mentioned PD-4045 takes care of this as well.

You might want to leave the term inverter out of your questions until you are sure you want one and how big it will have to be.

FWIW: an inverter big enough to power an 800 watt microwave, will kill off a battery in about 2 bags popcorn.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #24

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If you have a separate 110V system fed through a small breaker panel and a separate 12V system you don't need an inverter/convertor.

For much less than the price of an inverter/convertor you can install a more than adequate Solar system to supply ALL of your 12V needs.

I just installed a 60w system on a 13' Scamp for under $270.00 including a deep cycle group 27 battery and replacing all the incandescent lights with LEDs.

A 50 or 60 W solar panel and a deep cycle group 27 or 29 battery will supply all the electricity you will need under normal circumstances including your furnace on cold nights.

Solar systems are easy to install and the prices for panels are 1/3 the price they were a few years ago.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #25

[QUOTE=Perry J;421768]If you have a separate 110V system fed through a small breaker panel and a separate 12V system you don't need an inverter/convertor.

For much less than the price of an inverter/convertor you can install a more than adequate Solar system to supply ALL of your 12V needs.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know of any "Inverter Converters in the RV marketplace. There are Converters and there are Inverters.

Going Disneyesque/piecemeal, by the time you add up a separate ac panel, a converter of some sort, a fuse panel, and some sort of a decent and safe battery charger, you will be right up there with the PD-4045 in price and it may not be as safe and/or work as well.

That said, a PD-4045 can be bought for under $175, providing AC distribution, dc power when plugged in and a 3 stage battery charger, and you don't always have to park in the sun.....

Plus one should always think of resale value. Doing it right the first time is always the way to go.....

Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
What exactly is wrong with the O.P. just getting the trailer wired just like he wants to?

There is little about this project that if done as he asks about will stand in his way down the road if he decides that he wants to add a Battery and charging system.

There is also a lot to be said for keeping things simple and it should work fine for the exact purpose he has in mind.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;421772]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
If you have a separate 110V system fed through a small breaker panel and a separate 12V system you don't need an inverter/convertor.

I don't know of any "Inverter Converters in the RV marketplace. There are Converters and there are Inverters.

Going Disneyesque/piecemeal, by the time you add up a separate ac panel, a converter of some sort, a fuse panel, and some sort of a decent and safe battery charger, you will be right up there with the PD-4045 in price and it may not be as safe and/or work as well.

That said, a PD-4045 can be bought for under $175, providing AC distribution, dc power when plugged in and a 3 stage battery charger, and you don't always have to park in the sun.....

Plus one should always think of resale value. Doing it right the first time is always the way to go.....
There are a number of manufacturers of inverter/chargers that combine both a converter & an inverter. Check out the Magnum product. They are generally used in high end RVs, because they are expensive, but do provide added convenience compared to separate devices.

I have to agree with Ed - he should do what he wants. No one that I know who owns a fiberglass trailer (or just about any RV) is ever done - modifications and additions seem to happen as long as you own the thing!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Jon Vermilye;421810]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

There are a number of manufacturers of inverter/chargers that combine both a converter & an inverter. Check out the Magnum product. They are generally used in high end RVs, because they are expensive, but do provide added convenience compared to separate devices.
!
Dang 4 digit expensive
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Yes, they are, however some models have some very handy features. For example, some can sync with your generator. Useful for high starting load devices such as an Air Conditioner running from a Honda 2K. As the generator starts to stall, the inverter kicks in & provides up to 2K worth of short term additional power. Since it is the starting load that kills the Honda generator, it is a practical (but expensive) solution.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #30

Looks to me like the Magnum products are called "Inverter/Chargers" and are designed for charging the banks of 8D batteries often seen in Class "A" behemoths, which will also have large scale generators as well, making a converter, at least as we know it, unnecessary.

But the size, weight and price sort of make them a moot point for any FGRV's on this site, especially when the question is related to low cost simple answers.

And, of course, the OP can do what ever they want. However, by the tone of the post(s) one might suspect that they are not yet very schooled in the day to day skills of RV building, much less RV life. I'm just trying to help by offering what I have learned so, maybe, someone else may not have to also learn the hard way.

Answering the question not asked can often save the day.....

Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #31

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;421772]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post

You missed the slash which to me means a convertor OR convertor as some newbies do not understand the difference
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #32

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
What exactly is wrong with the O.P. just getting the trailer wired just like he wants to?

There is little about this project that if done as he asks about will stand in his way down the road if he decides that he wants to add a Battery and charging system.

There is also a lot to be said for keeping things simple and it should work fine for the exact purpose he has in mind.
For starters, rewiring the whole trailer and replacing every light fixture in it...
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 AM   #33

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
-------------------------------------------------

Again, Read, Read and Read before going any further.....

Trailer batteries are usually deep cell batteries, either group 24 or 27, and cost about $100. They will also require a charger for that application to avoid overcharging and damaging the battery. The afore mentioned PD-4045 takes care of this as well.

You might want to leave the term inverter out of your questions until you are sure you want one and how big it will have to be.

FWIW: an inverter big enough to power an 800 watt microwave, will kill off a battery in about 2 bags popcorn.
Thanks, the popcorn illustration had me laughing good.
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #34

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
For starters, rewiring the whole trailer and replacing every light fixture in it...
He is already starting exactly this project anyway! That was the point of his starting this thread.

So lets say he does wire for outlets and lights for 120vac and then decides at some later time he does really want 12vdc lights anyway.

Either way he just runs a few new 12vdc wires and is good to go,no huge deal and he gets what he wants now too.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #35

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
I want to thank every one of you for a terrific laugh, as well as valuable information. What stands out is the level of knowledge and differences when it comes to any individual project.
I am a "green horn" in things "RV", I have never stayed at a KOA site, and the most I have ever paid for staying at any individual campsite is 23.00 at Lake Lanier in Georgia, than a campsite in Destin for 17.00 a night.
So all of this is quite new to me.
But I will use the advice I received to upgrade the Scamp the way I planned but I think it is good advise to go with the PD 4045 for future upgrades should I think I need it.

I really mean this "you all gave me a great laugh along with invaluable advice", thank you all so much for all your help.
Guy
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote