I need soft start help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I need soft start help

I am installing a soft start unit in a 2017 Scamp and after watching several videos and placing the order, none of the videos were like mine. Any one know of a video for the install on a newer 13,500 Dometic? Pictured is the only place I see that it will fit. EVERYTHING is foam covered and I do not want to disturb the foam.
Attached Thumbnails
AC1.jpg   AC.jpg  

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
That looks like an OK place to install it.
Maybe flip it over so you can see the LEDs.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
Too bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
That looks like an OK place to install it.
Maybe flip it over so you can see the LEDs.
... to install a well designed nice looking product "bacK out" so the nice clear cover and label will not show, but will do.
TNX qc0gv
Old 04-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Registry
No micro air video for a newer Scamp??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I am installing a soft start unit in a 2017 Scamp and after watching several videos and placing the order, none of the videos were like mine. Any one know of a video for the install on a newer 13,500 Dometic? Pictured is the only place I see that it will fit. EVERYTHING is foam covered and I do not want to disturb the foam.
i have spent the past hour looking at videos done by people that to not know the difference between the compressor and the capacitor. And none are for the newer Dometic 13,500 BTU that I have. Time to re-invent the wheel??

Any one know of a video?0
Old 04-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #5

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Did you watch my u-tube video installing an easy start to my Dometic 11,000 btu AC?
I cannot imagine there would be much of a different position for attaching the thing.

https://youtu.be/I9AmXfKwrjo
Attached Thumbnails
EasyStart2.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:10 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks, I'll watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Did you watch my u-tube video installing an easy start to my Dometic 11,000 btu AC?
I cannot imagine there would be much of a different position for attaching the thing.

https://youtu.be/I9AmXfKwrjo
Yes, your video has the correct number of wires, and note that the loose wire nut was a crimp connector. Scamp used lots of wire nuts in the past and many came loose. Thanks and back to the roof!

I have almost no room, but this site may have the answer also.
http://www.micro-air.com/support-doc...ily_RV_ACs.pdf
Old 04-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
Hot side hot and the cold side cold

Quote:
Yes, your video has the correct number of wires, and note that the loose wire nut was a crimp connector. Scamp used lots of wire nuts in the past and many came loose. Thanks and back to the roof!

I have almost no room, but this site may have the answer also.
http://www.micro-air.com/support-doc...ily_RV_ACs.pdf
That URL led to fantastic information. I had ordered the install kit with the soft start, and while I had most of the parts left over, I was glad I had it. It came with one grommet and I would have liked three. I seldom follow instructions and mounted it different than the instructions. I have watched adhesives fail many times and the zip ties were white and they NEVER last long term, so I wanted stainless steel bolts. Below is the mounting picture in the instructions. Best I can tell, my unit requires no learning cycle, but I will investigate that more. It was quite an easy install, but watch out for the cover, it is FRAGILE to say the least. I cracked it just lifting it off. I may put a 1” strip of fiber glass mesh around the inside when I run out of things to do.
Attached Thumbnails
soft start mount.png  
Old 04-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #8

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
My understanding is that those made since about '15 come with a hard start already part of the unit. Might be worth checking around.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
A bit late now, but Lowes has stainless steel zip ties that come in very handy for permanent installations.

Walt
Old 04-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Registry
Good question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
My understanding is that those made since about '15 come with a hard start already part of the unit. Might be worth checking around.
Mine shows a locked rotor amps of 68 and I have still been running it on a 2200 Honda. The company lists it for the Brisk air II. I have not hooked my meter to it and do not know if my meter will even show the LRA. At one time I think Scamp said the "new" A/C could be run on a 2000 honda and then for some reason they quit saying that. The big problem is playing with the thermostat and starting the compressor against pressure. Hands off the t stat I think it would be OK.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Registry
I forgot about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
A bit late now, but Lowes has stainless steel zip ties that come in very handy for permanent installations.

Walt
It will help others that follow. Note also that LOWES is not alowd in my area, John Menard lives just down the road.
TNX
Old 04-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #12

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia

But of course they are also available on Amazon.

Walt
Old 04-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Registry
Kill A Watt meter

Quote:
Mine shows a locked rotor amps of 68 and I have still been running it on a 2200 Honda. The company lists it for the Brisk air II. I have not hooked my meter to it and do not know if my meter will even show the LRA. At one time I think Scamp said the "new" A/C could be run on a 2000 honda and then for some reason they quit saying that. The big problem is playing with the thermostat and starting the compressor against pressure. Hands off the t stat I think it would be OK.
I got out the Kill a Watt meter and I think it is to slow to get a start reading. It shows less than 14 amps to start and that would be very low. Run current was under 13 amps and fan only was under 4 amps. Idle current on the Scamp was under 0.3 amps.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I would think the only way you are going to measure locked rotator amps is with an oscilloscope since the amount of time it exists is measure in milliseconds.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #15

find an electrician or HVAC tech, they will have a tool to measure amps. If you want to buy one, Amprobe or Fluke are accurate and reliable. They will measure start/run amps as well as several other functions. The right tools are a safer way to work.
JMolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #16

My ac in 05 19 starts w/o the soft start. Start AC with fan off, then fan on.
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMolak View Post
find an electrician or HVAC tech, they will have a tool to measure amps. If you want to buy one, Amprobe or Fluke are accurate and reliable. They will measure start/run amps as well as several other functions. The right tools are a safer way to work.
While Amprobe & Fluke make great meters (I have an Amprobe clamp on AC/DC meter), only some models can measure start up amperage. If that is what you want to measure, be sure to carefully read the specifications.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #18

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
Are you differentiating between "Easy Start", "soft start", and "hard start"?
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #19

Wisconsin
Registry
Micro Air easy start

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_britt View Post
Are you differentiating between "Easy Start", "soft start", and "hard start"?
This tread was about installing Micro Air easy start, that I thought was a softy start.It has a clear case, and 4 wires. Went fine AFTER I found the correct instructions for my A/C. I do not know that a hard start would help over coming a small generator.

The EasyStart requires some moderately complicated wiring modifications that may be beyond the scope of the average RVr..
Attached Thumbnails
easy start.jpg  
Old 06-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Just completed this MAXAIR EASYSTART installed in 6000btu AC.

Next to install the new AC in the camper.

Additional instructions can be found on YouTube.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220627_224408.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	146430Click image for larger version

Name:	20220627_211845.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	146431
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp