I shouldn't have a trailer...Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #1

Name: Russ & Vivian
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
I shouldn't have a trailer...Help

I friend of mine brought me some replacement led bulbs for the stock lights in my 91 16ft Scamp. Well I replaced 4 with no problem but when I replaced the one in the bathroom I had the switch in the on position and waaalaaa the lights went out, checked the two breakers under the sink, they were fine, still had power to the radio and outlets. Heard the converter under the table humming.
Shadow56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
If your converter is like mine was in our 1990 Scamp, it has small push in automotive like fuses inside of it, and one of those blew on the 12 volt system that your LED lights operate on.
The circuit breakers that you tried are for the 110 volt system. I would unplug the trailer before opening up the converter to look at the fuses. Good Luck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
Sounds like that's it, will give it a try and let you know how it goes Dave, thanks.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
Opened the panel on the converter and the fuse was blown, replaced it and the lights came back on. But for the life of me I don't remember the converter humming, is that normal?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow56 View Post
Opened the panel on the converter and the fuse was blown, replaced it and the lights came back on. But for the life of me I don't remember the converter humming, is that normal?
As my Dad used to say: It hums because it doesn't know the words!

But, to answer your question, the humming from the converter is normal. There is a large transformer in there stepping down 110v AC to 12v AC. It then gets converted to 12v DC.

Spanke
Old 03-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
LED's are polarity sensitive and some can be installed backwards. When this happen the Diode part of LED can be seen as a dead short to the wiring.

Pull out the light, reset the circuit breaker or fuse and then just touch the LED into the socket. If it lights, fine, if not try turning it around. Or try a known good light in the socket, you may have a defective LED. (Defective LED's, from China???? Hoodwthunkit?)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

(Defective LED's, from China???? Hoodwthunkit?)
I have replaced the 12V lamps in 3 slide in campers and 4 eggs with Chinese panel lights, purchased on eBay, and have had no problems.

I have compared the lamps with the first, more expensive (American) I purchased and could not tell the difference.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #8

I have had the opposite experience with buying Chineese LED's on-line. In three batches of about a dozen each the defect rate ranged from 10% to 80%, must be my bad luck I guess.

In the first two batches I just tossed the bad ones, the last batch went back to the supplier, who proved to be in a warehouse in Corona, CA, about 10 miles from my house. They just tossed the returned lights in a dumpster and handed me 12 new lights from a "Special" box. All worked !!!!

Again, a reversed polarity light can do exactly what happened to the OP.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
LED's are polarity sensitive and some can be installed backwards. When this happen the Diode part of LED can be seen as a dead short to the wiring.

Pull out the light, reset the circuit breaker or fuse and then just touch the LED into the socket. If it lights, fine, if not try turning it around. Or try a known good light in the socket, you may have a defective LED. (Defective LED's, from China???? Hoodwthunkit?)
Yo Bob, See Post #4 Above. It was a blown fuse, he replaced it and it now works again.

I have also purchased and used Chinese LED's with no problems. I did add a voltage regulator since they didn't come with one originally.

Guess I got lucky!

Spanke
Old 03-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #10

Not to beat a dead horse, but fuses usually just don't blow, especially with the load of LED lights, but they do if you have a reversed LED. But then again jumbo jets don't just disappear either.....