invertor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Getting ready for spring, Love to Boon Dock installing another battery and an invertor for CPAP machine. I have a 12 volt plug installed in the cubby hole in the loft of the 5th wheel if, an I if I am right with a draw of 2.2 amps 12o vlt I need a 250 watt invertor . My wife pick up a 100 watt invertor <I belive they should be called convertors> I do not see how that will be big enough. The instructions say that it will shut down if it is not big enough.
I know this has been discussed before. And others are using an invertor to run cpaps.
What is your experience.
Taylor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Hello Taylor, Amps x 120volt = watts. So you would need a 264 watt unit. However they want 10-15% in reserve for the inverter to run on. So the minimun you could get by on would be approx 300 watt unit. MikeB
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
I use a 450 inverter for my cpap with heater tray. The heating tray takes a lot more power and is worth it to me . The inverter works a lot better if you can run it off its own battery. By it's own battery i mean dont plug the trailer in to the inverter and then plug your cpap machine in to a 110 outlet inside. ghosty loads in the trailer will shorten the battery time , with mine it would shut down on low voltage about 5 am and body say it needs at least 2 more hours of sleep .
I have found hooking a second Deep cycle battery into the trailers 7 pin connector and the plugging ithe inverter in to a 12 volt outlet inside and running only the cpap i can get a good 10 hour nap in. To recharge the whole thing i use a large 120 watt solar pannel.
rain and fog really slow the chargeing rate one of the reasons i went with a big solar unit.
hope this helps
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
I use a 450 inverter for my cpap with heater tray. The heating tray takes a lot more power and is worth it to me . The inverter works a lot better if you can run it off its own battery. By it's own battery i mean dont plug the trailer in to the inverter and then plug your cpap machine in to a 110 outlet inside. ghosty loads in the trailer will shorten the battery time , with mine it would shut down on low voltage about 5 am and body say it needs at least 2 more hours of sleep .
I have found hooking a second Deep cycle battery into the trailers 7 pin connector and the plugging ithe inverter in to a 12 volt outlet inside and running only the cpap i can get a good 10 hour nap in. To recharge the whole thing i use a large 120 watt solar pannel.
rain and fog really slow the chargeing rate one of the reasons i went with a big solar unit.
hope this helps
Thanks Al I may just run a dedicated 12vlt line for the CPAP on the Scamp 5th wheel I could run it out the bottom of the loft and use a battery just for the cpap, I have a Honda Gen set but I think a solar panel will be the nicer way to recharge it . I know that the fridge shuts off when the batteries get below 9vlts so with big a draw I think a seperate battery is the ticket
Old 02-27-2006, 12:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 87 Casita Liberty Deluxe (restored)
Taylor,

Check out this link Does anyone on the forum use a sleep apnea machine?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...topic=18682&hl=

Topic covered CPAP's
Also check out www.cpap.com

don
don bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Send a message via MSN to KenReiss
Found a NICE inverter/charger on ebay that might be usefull for your needs. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5870141829 They retail for about $2k, but this auction is only at about $300. Might be worth checking out. Let us know if you go with it!
KenReiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks on the info I found a 300 watt invertor for $44.00, I am lucky that I have cubby hole ontop of the shower in the 5th wheel I can get power from a 12 volt light and leave the machine in there . I will need a solor panel or use my Gen set.
My wifes machine draws 2.2 amps so I will have to recharge the battery every day or install another one.
Thanks