LED - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13' front bath
California
LED

I have a standard 13' 2016 Scamp. I would like to replace the interior lights with LED's. The 2 reading lamps now have #1141 bulbs. I would like the LED's to be at least as bright as the filament bulbs. The 2 lamps in the kitchen have #921 bulbs. Should these LED's be warm white or bright white? Any information as to bulbs and venders would be greatly appreciated. We plan to start going dry camping and would like to reduce our electrical usages much as possible.
robt-the-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I've had very good luck with the bulbs from this company. They offer two different brightness levels and several different color options. They also offer some of their bulbs which are not dependent on polarity as most LEDs are. Normally this shouldn't be an issue if the folks at Scamp who installed your light fixtures were paying attention, but I had two fixtures which were apparently cross wired. Not sure if Scamp did it or a previous owner. Any way, getting the non-polarity dependent bulbs solved the problem.

Regarding the color, that is 100% personal choice. I like the warm white best - most like incandescent. Some folks say the bright white are brighter, I find them harsh.

M4 Products
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
I like having a choice so I have both. Sometimes I want bright light and other times I prefer the less harsh warm white light so I alternate between the fixtures.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We use the whitest bright LED in the bathroom as it gives a nice clean look. The rest are a step warmer, about the same as the incandescent bulbs which were replaced, they are less harsh and yet still plenty bright to read by.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:10 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I prefer cool white for task lighting, warm white for reading. While direct replacements for 921 bulbs are available, I went with a flat fixture as all the lamps are facing in the same direction. Mine are 200-300 lumens. Also you pay more for voltage regulated non polarity sensitive devices. The regulation keeps them the same brightness with battery voltage variation. I've bought all mine from superbrightleds

Top shelf quality and service.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Most vendors offer at least 3 levels of white, Warm (yellow) Cool (bluish) and a midlevel some call daylight that I prefer.
The color is rated in "Kelvin" as I discovered buying 4 foot bulbs for a kitchen ceiling fixture. Here's a chart with examples. 4000 Kelvin works for us, we had yellow ones both at home and in the Casita and prefer the middle ground whatever the vendor calls them.
Color Temperature & Color Rendering Index DeMystified

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
As Joe points out you need to become familiar with Kelvin. Kelvin is your friend in light bulbs. In our home we prefer 2700 K, and in one application we found 2300 K had the look we wanted. So much is dependent on personal taste.

If you have a Home Depot available to you I have seen an end cap devoted to LED bulbs from GE. It had samples of all the Kelvin options. A good way see the difference.

If the bulbs are inexpensive (often shipping is as much as a bulb) consider purchasing a number of different Kelvin models and try them out. There is nothing to say you have to have the same ones everywhere.

I have found another source at www.superbrightleds.com for those hard to find base styles and a large varieties of your friend Kelvin.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I prefer the 5000k bulbs both for my home and my RVs

5,000k is rated as being full spectrum. That is the kelvin value used for the therapy lights that prevent seasonal effected disorder. It is also great for showing things like color in art work and makes for easier vision for task such as reading and doing detailed work task. It is not considered to be a warm color or cool color because it presents the full spectrum therefore no weird blue tints or yellowed out colors either

Just beautiful, happy natural light
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13' front bath
California
LED's

Hi guys, thanks for all the information. I guess I need to check out color information more closely (warm, natural and cool)as you all say it's a personal choice. Lyle, I checked out M-4, good information. They are very pricy, but look to be of high quality. Thanks again.
robt-the-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Did anyone try Scamp's led lights.? Five dollars apiece. 6 would be $30.00. This way I know that they will be the right ones, since I am electrically challenged . Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:29 PM   #11

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Yeah, I also tried one of the 20 packs for $19 or something like that. Most of them work, but they are not as bright as the more expensive ones, are polarity dependent, and not as nicely colored. Plus, if I remember right, they take a bit more power - still way better than the incandescent.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote