LED Dome Light Suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #1

Name: Laura
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
LED Dome Light Suggestions

Does anyone have any recommendations on what brand/style of interior LED dome lights to get for our 1988 Bigfoot? Much appreciated.
OregonBigfoot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I used these and like them. There's also a cheaper "economy" model. Other people have other good recommendations. These ones aren't cheap. But the power savings is huge.

Get a quality brand, and decide what kind of light you like. Personally I'd rather stumble around in the dark than have the typical, white (actually blue light, which is pretty bad for you), sterile, stark light most LEDs put out. Both the cool white and natural are far too white and sterile for me. I like my light to be like the old incandescent bulbs. Warm White is the closest you'll get.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #3

Name: Laura
Trailer: Bigfoot
Oregon
Are you talking about just the bulb? We need the entire fixture as well.
OregonBigfoot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #4

Montana
Ah. That's probably the best way to go anyway. I went with the easy way and only replaced my bulbs. I have no experience when it comes to entire fixtures. My advice on the bulb color is the same...
Old 08-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #5

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Under Cabinet Lighting

We replaced our two-bulb 12 Volt fixture under our upper cabinet with three strips of LED lighting that I bought from Lee Valley here in Canada.

We had to add a wood valance under the cabinet to hide it, and this gave us a place to install the non-contact switch/dimmer. Passing your hand over the sensor turns the light on or off, and holding your hand over the sensor makes it dim or brighten.

Lots of things like this ARE personal preference. I prefer the more natural (blue) light of the LED's better than the warmer, incandescent type of light.

We are still trying to find suitable replacements for the other lights around the trailer. We would prefer to replace and modernize the fixtures rather than just replace bulbs.

I would ad photos, if I could ever figure out how!
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #6

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
When you want a specific bulb color a warm white would be a close match for an incandecant. They also measure bulb color by degrees kelvin. A 2800 to 3000 would be a warm white where 5000 to 6000 would be that bright white almost blue looking light which most people don't like.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:12 AM   #7

Montana
The ones I linked are 3700.

From what I hear, older eyes appreciate the bright “crispness” of the cooler LED. Personally...it feels harsh and uncomfortable. When I’m in a newer house with all LED fixtures I can’t relax, and you can even see the “flicker”. Wave your hand in front of your face and you’ll see tracers...
Old 08-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #8

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
My eyes are 69 years old, not exactly younger eyes and I cant stand those 5000 to 6000 degree "crisp" lights but I have converted my house and Casita to LED lights that are 2500 to 3000 degrees Kelvin and I really like them. Huge savings in energy too.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have retained the bright white ( 5,000k ) LEDs over the sink, stove and counter, but have switched out to warm white in the rest of the trailer. They don't all have to be the same.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I used the following in my camper build. Don't know if they are appropriate for your application but they work great.

This one has a built in dimmer and is surface mounted with a small hole required for the wires. You touch it to turn it on and off and touch and hold to change brightness.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one is recessed mount and the lights can be connected to a dimmer. I used them in the kitchen area so we did not use a dimmer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tags
light