LED light conversion Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Name: shannon
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
LED light conversion Boler

I just bought 7" new led tail lights from princess auto for my 74 boler but they have a single wire for the brake and turn signals. My boler has a separate green wire and red wire for the break and turn signals. Can someone help me on how to install the new lights. Thanks in advance.
shan.mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Generally, a single light fixture will have one wire for running lights and a second wire for combined brake and turn signal light.

Are you sure that is not what you have now? You can test it with a battery charger or other DC source. The brake/ turn signal should be much brighter than the running light.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #3

British Columbia
The light has a single wire for turning/braking and a second for running, however the trailer is wired with three wires, turning, running and brake.

There are two bulbs one with a dual socket bulb with red and green wires ( this is the turn and brake)and the other single socket with a dark brown wire ( I think this is the running light but I have yet to get it working)
Old 09-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Shannon, every trailer is a little different re the wiring but hopefully someone will be able to answer. On mine I found it a bit confusing as like you I had to many wires on the trailer end vs the new LED light .... honestly cant recall which color wire I ended up putting on what but I ended up with two wires turning & braking from the trailer onto one on the new LED. If you havent tried it already it cant hurt anything to connect both and give it a try it will either work or not work.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Shannon,
Double check the princess auto part number. You probably got the single turn or brake light rather than the two combined which has 3 wires.
Been there, done that.
The good thing is that PA does not hassle about returns.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #6

It sounds like you have conventional wiring (a four pin connector) at the hitch. Use the tail (running) light wire to power the running light portion of the LED fixture and combine the brake and turn signal wires to power the bright portion of the LED fixture.

If you don't have a 4 pin connector at the hitch, the advice is different.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #7

You should have 3 wires out the back of the LED like this one here:
Transit LED Stop/Side Marker/Tail Light - 31 Diode, 12 Volts - 7" Round - Red Optronics Trailer Lights STL90RB

Unless you can see that one of the screw holes is actually a ground.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
You should have 3 wires out the back of the LED like this one here:
Transit LED Stop/Side Marker/Tail Light - 31 Diode, 12 Volts - 7" Round - Red Optronics Trailer Lights STL90RB

Unless you can see that one of the screw holes is actually a ground.
In the picture, it appears that the white wire is the ground. The OP's light may just ground off the housing. In any case, my above advice stands.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #9

Tom,
I had the same problem with the same lights as the OP. Princess Auto stocks a 3 wire on the shelf. Where these came from, who knows.

The simple way to test is to connect only the 2 wires to 12 V, if all the LED's light up then it is not a stop/tail/turn light. (The polarity may need to be reversed to test)
If neither works then there has to be a ground somewhere on the fixture.

I agree with your advice.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #10

British Columbia
It is a stop/turn/tail transit light princess auto model number 5059586. I have a 7 way tow plug and one of the new lights wires is a ground. Should I then combine the bolers turn and brake wires together and attach them to the one stop/turn wire on the new light?
Old 09-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
The white wire is ground, red wire is turn/stop, black wire is tail lights. Use a test light it will help you out. Plug trailer into the tow rig.
chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #12

shannon,
you say 2 wires, of which 1 is the ground. so when you connect the other to power all the LEDS light up?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #13

The possibility exists that the TV was wired with a 7 pin plug so the trailer turn signals and the brake lights could be separate. Some tow vehicles have a separate turn signal and brake light, so this would have simplified wiring the trailer.

Shannon, does your Boler have brakes? A 7 pin connector without brakes would be unusual.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #14

British Columbia
Thanks for the great advice, I was able to only use the red wire for the break and turn signal. I didn't use the green wire at all and the new light looks and works great.
Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #15

Name: ultidave
Trailer: in the market
Alberta
Break light won't work with new LEDs

Hi,

All. I have the 3 wire LED from PA but i can't seem to get it working.

I can get the running light and turn signal working but not the break? I need some help before I push my Boler into heavy traffic lol.

I know for sure the black off the light is ground

Black = white on trailer check! ground works

The Red and Green I am not so sure.

I have a 4 pin harness. On the trailer itself there are 2 lights at the back.

The one light seems to do the brake, light and turn. The other which only has 1 wire to it seems to just make the light brighter. Whenever I plug this in i can get it lighter but still no brake light?

What can I do? Anythoughts on why the brake just cuts the light out?

Does it make a difference that I am only working on 1 side of the trailer? Should I pull both lights and do them at the same time?
ultidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #16

Alberta
wiring

Ok so I can brake and turn to work but no running by going:

Red to red and white to green. But no running lights. So all functions of the light works but just can't get them to all work concurrently.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #17

Alberta
hmmm

If I flip those wires I get running and turn no brake.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
The white wire is ground, red wire is turn/stop, black wire is tail lights. Use a test light it will help you out. Plug trailer into the tow rig.
chuck
The colours may differ on yours but the function will be the same. The turn and stop are combined.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #19

Alberta
HI Roy.

Are you saying the turn and stop are the same wire? What do I do with that lone wire to side?
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #20

Yep stop and turn are the same wire, 1 is ground the other your tail or running light.
I forget my colours but if you think about your 4 pin wiring you have:
  1. ground
  2. running light
  3. R stop and turn
  4. L stop and turn
The 3 wires of one light go to 1, 2 and 3 - the 3 wires of the other light go to 1, 2 and 4

Being LED's, the ground only works in one direction so you only have to figure out the other 2 wires.

Tags
boler, led lights, light, tail lights