Led Style Bulb for 91 13 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Led Style Bulb for 91 13 Scamp

I apologize if this has been talked about but... I want to change out the 2 bulbs on the inside & the outside one near the door.

What are the style bulb & where is a good place order 12 volt LED'S from? The camper is not in town & I'd like to have them before we go use it. Thanks in advance.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

Registry
Bump...
Old 04-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you read the Community Rules, you will see that "bumping is not allowed".
And besides, it's pointless, especially within the same day.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you read the Community Rules, you will see that "bumping is not allowed".
And besides, it's pointless, especially within the same day.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #5

Registry
I apologize
Old 04-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #6

Registry
10x RV Trailer White LED 48-SMD Panel Interior Dome Map Light+BA15S 1156 Adapter | eBay

DOZENS more choices on E-Bay, These just happen to work well and they are cheap!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 AM   #7

Registry
Hey... thanks Floyd.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:38 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
10x RV Trailer White LED 48-SMD Panel Interior Dome Map Light+BA15S 1156 Adapter | eBay

DOZENS more choices on E-Bay, These just happen to work well and they are cheap!
I use those on my Scamp and they work fairly well. Not the brightest but worth the money you pay for them.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I use those on my Scamp and they work fairly well. Not the brightest but worth the money you pay for them.
We bought two different "colors", bright white for the bathroom and outside lights, then a touch warmer for the livingroom ,dining room, kitchen, den, and bedroom in our 13Scamp.
The slightly warmer one is about equal in lumens and color to the original incandescent bulbs.
The LEDs are nice and cool... the old incandescent bulbs heated the cupboard above enough to spoil the bread stored in it.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #10

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Bulb type

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
I apologize if this has been talked about but... I want to change out the 2 bulbs on the inside & the outside one near the door.

What are the style bulb & where is a good place order 12 volt LED'S from? The camper is not in town & I'd like to have them before we go use it. Thanks in advance.
You should probably take one out and see what the shape is. Sometimes a number will be visible. Take it to an auto parts store if you can't ID it. Unless someone has the exact same year and model, it is hard to determine which bulb you have because there are so many light fixtures used. I would get the brightest you can find. Ebay sells rectangular LED units that come with multiple plug in wires that will probably have one that fits. You'll probably also want to decide if you want warm white or cool white. Warm is nice for ambient mood lighting. Cool is better for task lighting like cooking. Otherwise, it's a personal call.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
You should probably take one out and see what the shape is. Sometimes a number will be visible. Take it to an auto parts store if you can't ID it. Unless someone has the exact same year and model, it is hard to determine which bulb you have because there are so many light fixtures used. I would get the brightest you can find. Ebay sells rectangular LED units that come with multiple plug in wires that will probably have one that fits. You'll probably also want to decide if you want warm white or cool white. Warm is nice for ambient mood lighting. Cool is better for task lighting like cooking. Otherwise, it's a personal call.
OH! I forgot to mention the lights I showed above come with at least three choices of socket base adapters to assure a fit.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
... & where is a good place order 12 volt LED'S from? ....
Any place you can return them to for a refund.

Because when talking about LED lights and bulbs:
  • Some are too harsh (color temp) for some people.
  • Some are too bright, or not bright enough. Most people have a hard time relating to lumens instead of watts to judge bulb brightness.
  • Some emit too much radio frequency interference (RFI) making TV or radio reception impossible.
  • Some actually burn up.
  • Some do not play well with variations in voltage (as in when you converter goes into boost charge mode).
  • Some do not work well in some fixtures... see note below.
  • Some have other issues with poor quality.

I went with superbrightleds.com instead of eBay, etc. to avoid some or all of these issues. I could have spent less money but I am happy with my purchase and the support from the company.

Note: Just one consideration, quoted from cnet.com:

You probably know that LED bulbs run dramatically cooler than their incandescent cousins, but that doesn't mean they don't produce heat. LED bulbs do get hot, but the heat is pulled away by a heat sink in the base of the bulb. From there, the heat dissipates into the air and the LED bulb stays cool, helping to keep its promise of a very long life.

And therein lies the problem: the bulb needs a way to dissipate the heat. If an LED bulb is placed in an enclosed housing, the heat won't have anywhere to go, sending it right back to the bulb, and sentencing it to a slow and painful death.

Consider where you'd like to place your LED bulbs. If you have fully or semi-enclosed fixtures you need to light up, look for LEDs that are approved for recessed or enclosed spaces.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
gordon2 has some very good points. Also may find that older converters quickly burn out LEDs. Not sure about your Scamp 1993 converter, but my 1970's converter starting frying LED bulbs shortly after I installed them. Had to remove the LED bulbs until I replaced the converter...
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #14

Registry
I figured that at $1.79 each I could chance it without too much angst or research. So I bought two different colors.
Like Goldilocks I thought I could try them each to see if they were too warm or too cold, too soft or too harsh,sure that I could "Bear" the consequences. I found them to be "just right" and quickly fell asleep, comfortable with my choice!

I figgered if I hated them I could just recoup my loss by skipping a couple of happy meals... I often hate them too, and its not practical to return them either!

I have used these lights for over a year now with good success and am well satisfied with the results. No RF interference, light about the same as the incandescents they replaced and no more heat to ruin the lenses or big power draw to run down my battery.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've replaced most of the bulbs in our 17' Casita including the backup lights, porch light, front light and range hood with those LED panels.

They have a big advantage over round LED bulbs and that is all the light points outward

But there's one "con" I found and that is the double sided foam tape does not withstand the temperature and they come off. So I've been using 3M automotive Trim tape, expensive but stays put.

In the range hood I used two and found they have to be raised a tad off the clear fiberglass lense or the lense will yellow.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp