LED Taillight Upgrade - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #1

Name: Todd
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
LED Taillight Upgrade

I found these bad boys on Amazon for $8 a piece.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installing them were pretty easy. I unscrewed the old taillight assemblies, Cut the wires from the assemblies, capped off the red wire for the reverse lights, crimped the wires with butt connectors and attached the tail lights. Obviously the hole patterns are slightly different. Thankfully the bottom screw holes in the new lights nearly matched the existing screw holes in the trailer. The top ones, however, did not. I filled the top holes in the trailer with marine tex, drilled new holes for the top holes of the new tailights, and riveted them to the trailer. Anyways, the results were pretty good.

This is of the tail lights and not the brake lights. The taillights are bright as it is. The brake lights are truly noticeable. All in all it took me about an hour to remove the old ones and install the new ones. Technically the lights are flipped (the license plate light is actually suppose to be the right one, apparently) but they work as intended and I like the way they look...
tbevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I did the same thing for my 1974 VW Thing. Retro fitted LEDs in the tail lights.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light