LiFePo vs Lead Acid - Knowledge and myths - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2021, 08:08 AM   #41

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

LiPo4 delivers full voltage until almost discharged, PbA voltage drops as discharge is taking place. Not sure how much this matters as most RV equipment will run on voltages provided by the PbA battery though most of its discharge but some devices might depend on a more constant voltage.
I have never experienced it but I read that many rv devices will shut off at various voltages interpreted as 'too low for lead acid batteries' in order to prevent damaging these batteries.. Fridges and inverters in particular which is problematic to say the least.

Which eloquently demonstrates just how much of a problem PbA batteries can be that the electronics around them try so hard to accommodate them.

Quote:
As was of interest to me with an question of inverter installation. A flooded battery can under high draw have the delivered voltage drop enough to cause the inverter to cut out even though there are many amp hours potentially available. Just a case of drawing faster than the chemical reaction can deliver so voltage drops. Let it sit without load for a bit and voltage comes back up. LiFePO4 don't have this tendency nearly as much. Puckette effect (spelling?) is less for them.
Precisely right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law

In fact LiFePO4 batteries do suffer from this, but at much higher current draws. I watched a video of a fellow using 4 Headway 3810 batteries in series being used to start a car. The 38120 is a round largish LiFePO4 battery that tends to be around 8-10 amp hours capacity, but which can discharge at as much as 20C or about 180 amps. Anyway, they watched the voltage of the battery as they started the car and it dropped from 12v down to about 7.x volts.

Quote:
I do wonder if the high tech Battery Management System is a plus and a minus. It exists in the LiFePO4 because the battery would not be very good without it. Has to work for battery to work but can fail. Typical PbA has to break to fail. Or fill up with sediment to point it shorts out.
This is not at all true. You can build and use a LiFePO4 battery without the BMS. Works just as well as a PbA battery without a BMS. Which is to say if you discharge it too far it kills the battery. But as long as you don't do that the battery functions just fine.

A BMS is nothing more than a little micro-controller, a small computer. In a LiFePO4 it is there to prevent primarily over-discharge which is really bad for them, just as it is really bad for PbA batteries. However given that the BMS now exist, they are then provided a temperature sensor and programmed to prevent:

1) High temp charging (also bad for PbA, not dealt with)
2) Low temp charging (should be modified for PbA but usually isn't)
3) Over charging (taken care of by the charger for PbA)
4) Over discharging (taken care of poorly by the owner of PbA)
5) Over current discharge (Ignored by everyone for PbA, but bad as well)

The way that it does all these things is to watch the charge / discharge curve. In a LiFePO4 battery, the voltage starts at 2.5 volts - times 4 cells = 10v. That is 'fully discharged'. The BMS will physically interrupt the circuit, usually with MosFETs but sometimes with a relay, preventing the battery from supplying any more current on the discharge side. Once the voltage rises above 10v the BMS will reconnect the battery to the circuit and charging will commence.

As the charger starts charging the battery, the voltage rises rapidly, bending towards 'level' as the voltage reaches about 2.9-3.0v - times 4 = ~12.0v. This part of the charge / discharge curve represents about 10-20% of the total current storage of the battery. This rapid rise and bend is known as the 'knee' because it does in fact look like a bent knee.

From here the charge curve remains somewhat 'flat', between 3.1 and 3.3 volts, as it continues charging. Once the battery is about 80-90% charged the voltage will start to rise rapidly again forming another 'knee' as the voltage heads up towards 3.65v - times 4 = 14.6v.

This is fully charged. If the charger maintains this voltage, no damage is done to the battery but no current flows into the battery either. If the charger tries to increase the voltage beyond 14.6v, the BMS will physically disconnect the battery to prevent overcharging. AFAIK, no battery charger routinely goes beyond this voltage, with the possible exception of a 'desulfination' cycle. In any event, once the voltage drops back below 14.6 volts, the BMS will reconnect the battery to the circuit.

The point here is that unlike a PbA battery, the knees are very well defined and the micro-controller can easily sense the voltages where it needs to intervene to prevent battery damage., and it does so, both on the upper end and the lower end. It can also easily sense temperatures and intervene there as well.
One point worth noting here is that there is very little SOC or 'charge current' above or below the knees, and so insisting on charging above or discharging below the knee is not really of much benefit.

https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...w-temperatures

https://northeastbattery.com/most-co...tery-mistakes/

Other than chemistry, there is very little difference between LiFePO4 and Lead Acid. A battery is a battery, although each has a specific reason to exist.

Quote:
I think price is a the driving factor. And amount of use. Many people don't really gain much from having the "best" technology. Those who do half dozen camping trips a year have less use to amortize the higher cost over. Better doesn't beat good enough in those circumstances. Spending a lot less on a good battery maintainer for the inexpensive PbA battery makes more sense for those people. Like paying the premium for Snap-On tools, only makes sense if using the tool is your profession, then having a tool break costs you money, otherwise a decent set of Craftsman are the better value for the shade tree mechanic.
Absolutely true. Good enough is good enough. The biggest problem is the high(er) entry cost even when better is needed. That and rampant ignorance about the realities of today's markets. Right now (summer 2021) LiFePO4 prices are finally dropping rapidly but awareness of that fact isn't growing. In fact many if not most RV owners are still blissfully unaware that LiFePO4 even exists.

Quote:
I think as market grows it may bring price down. Cordless tools the higher capacity newer batteries don't cost more than the ones from several years ago with fewer and smaller cells. My 12 volt B&D battery of years back and the 18 or 21 volt of today are about the same cost.

Tech has to solve a problem for the cost of said technology to be worth purchasing. Just being better isn't enough to make a decision on so threads such as this that help outline the use cases where it matters are I think very useful.
Rvs are the main market for these 'drop in replacement' LiFePO4 batteries. I too believe that as they become more known and understood, and as they become more requested, they will grow in popularity, reducing their prices even faster.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #42

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
A lithium system will maybe be better for weeks of off grid camping. I don’t see that it or solar is superior for anything less. We do off grid for 3-4 days at a time. The 6v golf cart batteries do a great job running our lights, fans and compressor fridge for three days without a recharge. The generator coupled to our 25 amp CTEC charger will top them off quickly as will the #6 wire to our tow vehicle battery. I have a Victron BMS that keeps up with the health of the batteries. I paid 85.00 a piece for them five years ago. LA is a proven and reliable technology.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #43

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
A lithium system will maybe be better for weeks of off grid camping. I don’t see that it or solar is superior for anything less. We do off grid for 3-4 days at a time. The 6v golf cart batteries do a great job running our lights, fans and compressor fridge for three days without a recharge. The generator coupled to our 25 amp CTEC charger will top them off quickly as will the #6 wire to our tow vehicle battery. I have a Victron BMS that keeps up with the health of the batteries. I paid 85.00 a piece for them five years ago. LA is a proven and reliable technology.

LOL. Go back through this thread and count the times I have said if it works for you that is what matters. As for 'only good for'... for you that is true. As I have mentioned many times in this thread I used PbA for decades, but I personally won't ever buy another. In fact I bought a LiFePO4 a month ago and don't see needing to buy a replacement battery for at least 10 years. Maybe ever. That works for me.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I thought we were going to stick to facts and not get into debates and personal experiences.

Returning to facts, I would be interested in some facts regarding the comparative environmental impacts of both battery types, including sourcing the materials, production, and recycling/reuse at end of life. I am genuinely curious.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 01:05 PM   #45

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
For materials, I suspect they're similar. LFP avoids the cobalt that's such a big issue with other Lithium chemistries. The lower overall mass and volume compared to PbA is probably a plus, and so is the cycle life. It ends up being something like 5-30% as much mass per year to deal with for the same watt-hours.

LFP recycling is definitely still an open question at this point, where PbA is heavily recycled. There's a lot currently being researched and built, and recyclability will likely be high for LFP in the long-term, but not at the moment. So, today it depends a bit on how much the techniques advance by the time the LFP batteries are dead.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #46

North Carolina
Registry
Don’t get me wrong. I have nothing against Lithium batteries, except China seems to be the only source for cells. That said, some of my camping friends are buying into them for the cool factor. They will never get into a situation where the Lith really makes a difference. I suspect that is true for the majority of RV’ers.
Old 08-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #47

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
At 72 I wonder if the added life of the LiFePO4 batteries will pay off for ME.
I have investigated the technology of these and other batteries over the years and I am intrigued with them. I considered using batteries from an older Prius, but decided the charging control at that time was probably not quite right for FrankenScamp.
I am looking at the DIY cells available and separate BMS for them so that bad cells can be replaced.
Since I use the trailer as an emergency response in the very real threat of hurricanes I am still drawn to the LiFePO4 batteries as a power storage system to go with my 300 watts of solar on the roof. These batteries would provide better power for the compressor refrigerator and the communications gear installed in Frank.
I would take a chance on the Chinese cells to build a battery, but this is still pretty much a crap shoot. You send your money and get to wait a good while to find out if you have been shafted and even if they offer warranty returns the freight and time is still considerable.
We await a good compromise on cost vs benefit.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:28 AM   #48

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
[QUOTE=redbarron55;822161]At 72 I wonder if the added life of the LiFePO4 batteries will pay off for ME.

You listed several things the battery will do for you. If your RMD is discretionary, use it to enjoy life. If you don't outlast your battery then your heirs will enjoy it and your FrankenScamp.

I really like my BB 100 Ah. Good BMS, essentially no maintenance, long life, lots of charge usage, quick charge when needed, blah, blah, blah.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:56 AM   #49

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I thought we were going to stick to facts and not get into debates and personal experiences.

Returning to facts, I would be interested in some facts regarding the comparative environmental impacts of both battery types, including sourcing the materials, production, and recycling/reuse at end of life. I am genuinely curious.

I would be interested in that as well. Why don't you research that?
Old 08-11-2021, 08:27 AM   #50

North Carolina
There is far more to a LiFePO4 battery than any one of the advantages. Each of the advantages works for some specific thing.

1) 3000+ cycles. Yea, impressive. But in addition there is no replacement hassles. A PbA battery will usually need replacing every 500-1000 cycles. Or immediately because I left it only half charged but not on a charger. Once and done for my LiFePo4.

2) 100 ah real (Ok, maybe 95 ah real) The very first link in my very first post goes into a great deal of detail about how PbA doesn't really, under any real world usage, yield even 50% of the rated capacity. Maybe 40% best case, and that under specific use cases that pretty much no one actually uses.

May I suggest those who think PbA is a wonderful time tested technology actually read that stuff?

And then there's battery droop, where my battery stays at 13v until it is dead. A PbA does not. And it isn't like it kinda sorta does. It droops horribly! And I am depending on that voltage to tell me when I am at 50% except I can't because it is waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy below that magic "50%" voltage under heavy load. And so I can't tell when it is time to quit using the battery. Oh wait! I can stop using the PbA and let the voltage pop back up and then I'll know. Or... I could just get a LiFePo4 and be done with all the nonsense?

3) Because of the 100ah real I can actually pull a heavy load for the entire usage of the battery. If I want to run some heavy load on my inverter I just do it. 100 amps out for an hour, not a problem.

4) And if I need to charge quickly? Well... hmmm... which technology did I buy again? My solar panels will push every amp they generate into the battery. Likewise my generator. Not even close to true with PbA.

Is this a personal attack on anyone using a PbA battery?

I have said it a dozen times, if you like Pba, neeto keenareeno, go buy one. But pleeeease don't bother telling me how great they are 'cause they aren't great.

One thing I have found is that if someone is rationalizing why they did something they probably at the least question their decisions. I don't rationalize marrying the sweetest gal in the world or having a job that I just love. I rationalize staying in a job I hate with a boss I want to strangle.

Telling me how great a PbA battery is is pure rationalization! If you bought one because it met your needs, 'nuff said!
Old 08-11-2021, 08:39 AM   #51

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby123 View Post
I would be interested in that as well. Why don't you research that?
https://www.batteryrecyclersofameric...ery-recycling/
But if you brought Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries, you should not have to worry about this for at least 10 years!!! I just recycled 2 AGM batteries that were only a year old. Needless to say, with my new to me Scamp I am going with LiFePO4 batteries. Just ordered yesterday and Battleborn gave me a great deal!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:48 AM   #52

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
At 72 I wonder if the added life of the LiFePO4 batteries will pay off for ME.
At 75 (in Oct) I going with LiFePO4 batteries. Sick and tired of messing with maintaining the lead acid batteries and keeping AGM batteries properly charged up. At my age, I do not need the headaches!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #53

Florida
OK, OK I need the LiFePO4 batteries, but the $$$ and a wife!!!
I guess the only real issue is the $$ and the time to get the payback...
I want to change over and what I really need to do NOW is take the cover off the PD battery charger and see if it is compatible with the LiFePO4 batteries.
The Epever MPPT is compatible I think.
Still decisions, decisions, decisions...
And there is the selling the extra money vs benefits for the other (better) half.
So now to find a screwdriver...
Old 08-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This thread reminds me of supporters in a sports bar arguing which is the better team.

I'll have another beer.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #55

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
https://www.batteryrecyclersofameric...ery-recycling/
But if you brought Battleborn LiFePO4 batteries, you should not have to worry about this for at least 10 years!!! I just recycled 2 AGM batteries that were only a year old. Needless to say, with my new to me Scamp I am going with LiFePO4 batteries. Just ordered yesterday and Battleborn gave me a great deal!

Battleborn may well be the best battery out there right now. I just couldn't afford one so I went with the Chin's / AmpereTime. So while I'm jealous, the one I got is still a good battery and I expect it to last me forever. Or am I rationalizing???
Old 08-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #56

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
This thread reminds me of supporters in a sports bar arguing which is the better team.

I'll have another beer.

Have one on me!
Old 08-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #57

Florida
After looking at my PD4045KA board the charger would have to be replaced with a board compatible with the Lithium batteries at a cost of $154 + tax and shipping so that increases the cost of the conversion.
Another converter can be bought off ebay with the lithium charger for about $200 and perhaps sell the existing one.
Does anyone have an idea if the charger board can be modified to handle the constant voltage out that the LiFePO4 requires.
So the going lithium price is a little higher than just the batteries!
Old 08-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #58

Name: DAN
Trailer: CASITA SPIRIT
California
100A LiFePO4 The Way To GO !

I replaced an 80A/Group27 LA battery with AIMS 100A LiFePO4 in the same location in the 2015 Casita.
Incredible performance and voltage maintenance at 13.3 with DOKIO 100W Solar Suitcase as a full timer in the Oregon forest this summer.
My usage averages 10-20Ah per day and the solar panel handles that easily at 5Ah output.
I am sure the clouds will move in and I will need backup eventually.
The 100A LIFePO4 can discharge down to 10% which gives me 90Ah and a week without needing a charge.
For now the little Honda 2000 is lonely and has nothing to do !
CHICO DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #59

Name: DAN
Trailer: CASITA SPIRIT
California
I installed the PD Intellipower 40A Converter to replace an old clunky Parallax.
Originally installed for a 80Ah LA battery.
Luckily the Board had a dip switch for the new 100A LiFePO4 battery at 14.5V.
The DOKIO 100W Solar Suitcase also has settings for LiFePO4 batteries.
CHICO DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #60

North Carolina
Registry
Here is what it costs to change my original group 27 battery to my present system.

Two 6v Carquest batteries 85.00 each=170.00
25 Amp C Tec smart charger 250.00
Victron BMV-712 BMS. 210.00
Wiring 50.00
Replace batteries at 5 year mark 200.00

220 amp hours , 110 usable

Total cost 880.00

Cost of one 12 volt 100 AH 650 (cheap battery) 800-1100
Battleborn. Add charger at estimate 150.00. Add DC-DC charger to charge from TV ,110 to 400.00

Total cost on the cheap side 910.00
Realistic cost for most RVers 1650. or more

Actually I was surprised that it came in this close. Some of my friends bought a prewired package with solar controller and one Battleborn battery 2750.00. That is a nice system that can transferred easily between campers.