lighting short circuit Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #1

Name: jesse
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 13
Colorado
lighting short circuit Scamp 13

Hello, I have a 1994 Scamp 13. I couldn't find the answer in my search so any help would be great! Just a few days ago my 12Volt lights on the side of my overhead kitchen cabinets were working. The right one was flickering but with an adjustment to the connector, it worked again. Today, neither light works. The 110 volt lighting works so I guess that means my 15amp fuse is good. The 30 amp fuse looks good and changing it didn't make a difference. I can't see another fuse for 12 volt lighting. The cigarette lighter 12 volt with separate fuse works. Help?...jesse
jessesouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jesse have you tried a different bulb in the fixtures?
Your trailer if like mine should have an in line fuse just outside the battery and another just inside the trailer (behind the rat fur) just after where the wiring enters the trailer in mine its accessible from the front passenger side storage hatch. Depending on what converter you have you may also have fuses inside of it. On my 92 converter (pretty sure its the original) I have to unscrew the box cover of the converter to see them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Jesse, it can be as simple as a wire nut coming loose which then causes the wire to not make good contact.

After traveling for a day I found my 12 volts lights weren't working and they had been prior to leaving home. Converter, fuses etc. were all OK. So we started looking at the light connections. Sure enough one of the connections in the kitchen overhead cabinet wasn't making good contact. As soon as we reconnected it...viola' lights.

There was a connection at both ends of the kitchen cabinet, plus the porch light is on that line.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

Colorado
wire nuts

Thanks Joy, too late to check tonight but great idea. I don't find a fuse outside by the battery but since everything was just working, I hope you are right. I know the wiring was altered a bit when I bought the scamp. It is quite a confusing mess in that corner. I'll check and let you know, thanks so much for your reply...jesse
Old 05-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
My 1990 Scamp 13' had a similar problem with the light over the passenger side dinette and outside porch light not working or working intermittently. It turned out after tracing wires under the driver side bench seat the lights came on. It was those *_@*$%^&* scotch locks that scamp uses. I removed as many as I could see in that location, stripped the wires back, soldered and taped (liquid tape) the bare wires......no problems
Dave & Paula
Making Memories in our Mansion
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

Colorado
lighting short

Thanks everyone, Joy you were right, after I reconnected to my car, the 12 volt works so I guess my battery is run down. The 12 volt light on the right of the kitchen stove still has a short so I think I will upgrade to LED in the not too distant future...jesse

Tags
lighting, scamp