Looking for easy Renogy suitcase connection - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2022, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Looking for easy Renogy suitcase connection

I bought a Renogy 100W suitcase, which comes with a cable with alligator clips to connect to the battery. Anyone come up with a quicker, easier way to make the connection, preferably without having to open the battery box?
I must admit I have no electrical experience, and am somewhat afraid of electrical work, so I would prefer to buy equipment that is plug-and-play rather than having to do any wiring myself.
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:49 PM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I'm not 100% sure what renogy model you have, but from what I see in the web, maybe you need a "MC4-to-SAE" and an "SAE-to-Ring"

https://www.amazon.com/Vemote-Connec.../dp/B08ZHX51D4

https://www.amazon.com/SUNER-POWER-W.../dp/B09CDBK3NM

You could then leave everything connected and disconnect at the "SAE" connector.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
It’s an Eclipse 100W suitcase, and it does have MC4 connectors, so looks like those cables would work.
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:01 PM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
That's a good plan. I made similar connectors for my suitcase but would have just bought some if I'd known they were available. I fish the cable through a vent in the bottom of the cave, don't have to leave the door open when connected.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:56 PM   #5

Name: Joel
Texas
You could connect your suitcase to the charging + and - pins on a 7-pin hitch receptacle, and then use it with your Scamp's 7-pin plug.

I did something similar with a Renogy Wanderer panel controller - Mounted it inside a cheap Harbor Freight "waterproof" carrying case:

JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Being water proof, what about heat build up? How do you cope with that?
Old 05-13-2022, 07:11 PM   #7

Texas
^There is no significant voltage drop across this particular solar panel charge controller, and maximum rated charge current is 10 amps - so there is no significant heat generated.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:08 AM   #8

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Power

Try the Andreson Power Pole, do an online search or go to Ham Radio Outlet.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 01:00 PM   #9

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Following.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:13 AM   #10

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
I have the same suitcase panels as you.
I bought this doodad from Amazon:
CERRXIAN 55cm 10AWG SAE Socket Solar Weatherproof Sidewall Port DIY Cord, SAE Quick Disconnect Wire Harness Panel Mount Power Cable with Cap

Soldered on some ring connectors and mounted it to the battery terminals and out the side of the battery box, and I bought the SAE-MP4 connector from Renogy.
Now I can plug the panels into the side of the battery box, easy peasy.

I also bought TWO 20' extention cables with MP4 connectors, so I can move the panels into sunny spots when necessary. Don't make the mistake I did and only buy one cable at first (needs positive and negative legs)
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:53 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I replaced the output cable on the Renogy and put a PP30 powerpole connector on the end. For my Casita, I made a battery pigtail, with ring terminals on one end, and a PP30, using about 20" of 12/2 marine wire, the ring terminals went on the battery permanently, and the cable hung out just inside the Casita battery cave. When I wanted to use it, the PP30 plug slipped past the air vents on the battery compartment door, so I could plug the solar panel in.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:17 PM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Diane,
I had the same issue with a renogy panel and 13' scamp. I added an MC4 to SAE adapter to the suitcase wiring and then fastened an SAE panel mount outlet to my trailer tongue. I made a simple mounting bracket by cutting and bending a cheap metal bracket from the hardware store. See photo. I like having a fixed mount rather than a dangling wire. My battery is now inside the scamp but when it lived in the battery box I had enough clearance to mount the SAE outlet directly in the side of the battery box.

If you want to go directly from your alligator clips, you can purchase an SAE to ring terminal cable from amazon for a few dollars. I use one to connect my small air compressor's alligator clips into the same SAE outlet for airing tires. You need to take precautions however to be sure the two clips don't touch. The previous method (MC4 to SAE adapter) is preferred.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8901.jpg  
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:27 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
ah, here's a battery pigtail I made for a friend who has a Casita...

I dislike both MC4 *and* SAE connectors. MC4 is OK for use on permanently mounted solar panels, thats about it.

Andersen PowerPole connectors can't be plugged in the wrong way, and every PP15,PP30,PP45 is interpluggable with every other one. They plug and unplug easily and smoothly. You do need a crimper tool to install them on a cable.

my Renogy 100W solar suitcase, I disconnected the original 'battery' wires right from the PWM controller on the back, and replaced it with 30 feet of Marine 10/2 (10 gauge, two conductor), this fit directly into the screw clamps on the Renogy solar controller's battery connections. The other end of this 30 feet of marine 10/2 has a PP45 (PP45 takes AWG 10 wires, the PP30 takes 12-14 gauge, the PP15 takes 16-18 gauge). I used 10 gauge to minimize the voltage drop from the 30 feet of wire.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:12 PM   #14

Texas
PowerWerx has a nice selection of Anderson Powerpole connectors.

They're very handy for a lot of 12V projects.

I use solder to attach wires to the connector contacts - rather than using a crimper.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:36 PM   #15

Name: Ned
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 13D & 2016 Highlander
Iowa
I purchased a trolling motor battery case and this provides quick and easy access to the positive and negative connectors. This works well for me.
GpaNed is offline   Reply With Quote