Low Voltage battery cut off???!!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It is best to have the controller as close to the battery as possible and not to put a battery inside your unit, unless it is a sealed AGM battery and then you the issue of 2 different types of batteries which means the stronger battery will be limited to the weaker battery. Also it is way easier and economical to wire 2 x 12v next to one another vs the long run of wire back and forth to each battery. The two batteries need to be wired together not separately.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #22

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
You may be reading what is called "surface charge". Put a 10 amp load on for 10 minutes and see whats happening when you take the load off.
If the converter is on and charging you should see about 13.2 volts. A charger can only charge if it's voltage is higher than the batteries.
Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure the battery is good, the only reason I thought it was bad was my meter in the trailer was reading below 8V (minimum reading) and and I was getting no power to the lights. If I'm reading a lot higher than 8V at the terminals I think I have a wiring issue. I'll put the battery on the charger today and just make sure it goes fully charged and into maintenance mode.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is best to have the controller as close to the battery as possible and not to put a battery inside your unit, unless it is a sealed AGM battery and then you the issue of 2 different types of batteries which means the stronger battery will be limited to the weaker battery. Also it is way easier and economical to wire 2 x 12v next to one another vs the long run of wire back and forth to each battery. The two batteries need to be wired together not separately.
Yeah, I knew it wasn't ideal nor going to be simple if at all workable. I need to get a scale and try to figure out how adding another type 24 to the tongue will affect the weight on the ball. If it's 1:1 than not sure I can afford to add it.

But I'm also thinking, I might replace the battery I have now with an AGM, then I could add another inside. Electrically, some solar charger controllers support two batteries, that might work for charging them both in different locations. The solar charge controller would be inside, about the same wiring distance to both.

I'd love to have the extra capacity, but must keep the tongue weight down for the sake of my receiver. I bent a less well built receiver and don't want to stress test my current one that's held up well so far.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #24

British Columbia
Sounds like this might work nicely.

Morningstar Corporation » SunSaver Duo

Morningstar’s SunSaver Duo™ is an advanced PWM two battery controller for RV’s, caravans, boats and cottages. Rated for 25 amps at 12 volts DC, this product will charge two separate and isolated batteries at the same time, such as a "house" and an engine battery, based on user selectable priorities. This controller also includes a backlit remote meter which may be mounted in or on a wall, and displays digital and pictorial status information about the solar power system.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The issue is wiring two batteries in parallel so far apart. You would almost have to wire each one separate and use a switch. You lose a lot of volts/amps over long runs of wire.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
[QUOTE=dylanear;315852]But I'm also thinking, I might replace the battery I have now with an AGM, then I could add another inside. /QUOTE]

If you are replacing 2, consider going 6V you will end up with more amp hours for less $. The 6V tend to be more heavy duty.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #27

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The issue is wiring two batteries in parallel so far apart. You would almost have to wire each one separate and use a switch. You lose a lot of volts/amps over long runs of wire.
That charger I linked to does just that. It has two separate charging channels and there are separate settings for each battery. You can control which gets charged first etc.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #28

British Columbia
[QUOTE=Roy in TO;315891]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
But I'm also thinking, I might replace the battery I have now with an AGM, then I could add another inside. /QUOTE]

If you are replacing 2, consider going 6V you will end up with more amp hours for less $. The 6V tend to be more heavy duty.
Two 6V would have to be in series to get 12V, I don't think you'd want two batteries in series 8 feet apart.

But I'll check with the charge controller specs and see if 2 x 6V would work.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #29

British Columbia
[QUOTE=dylanear;315900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post

Two 6V would have to be in series to get 12V, I don't think you'd want two batteries in series 8 feet apart.

But I'll check with the charge controller specs and see if 2 x 6V would work.
Seems the Morningstar Duo (which I just ordered) will do two SETS of batteries, each set could be a pair of 6V I suppose.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #30

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As long as we are spending your money; if you get two 6 volt batteries, get Golf Cart batteries, they are designed for more abuse and discharge/recharge cycles than starting or marine type batteries.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #31

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As long as we are spending your money; if you get two 6 volt batteries, get Golf Cart batteries, they are designed for more abuse and discharge/recharge cycles than starting or marine type batteries.

Not sure what batteries I'll end up with at this point, but was thinking lately of two type 31 120ish amp hour AGM deep cycles. Only 20 lbs more on the tongue, but lot's more amp hours compared to the 80ah on my current grp 24 flooded. I'll look at the 6Vs and compare at some point. The AGM seem like the thing for me. I know I'll never take proper care of flooded batteries over the long haul, and perhaps more importantly, I want to put one battery in the cabin, so AGM is a requirement there. Not the cheapest option, but I kill batteries dead by blinking, so I may even come out ahead in the long run with the more durable glass mat tech.

Tags
battery