Lp gas sensor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2024, 08:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
Lp gas sensor

Hello! This is Maureen Law, a lady camper.
I Hope someone can help me. I have a 2012 Casita Liberty.. I'm still try to learn all this stuff now that I am a solo camper.
My LP alarm sensor has started to beep. I have read thru everything in the manual and cannot find the answer.
My camper has been in my driveway for a couple of week. Nothing has been turned on or plugged in yet. The other day I heard a beep and when I checked inside the LP alarm was flashing red. I tapped the button and I guess it reset. I rechecked my tanks, everything is closed tight, no issues. I don't smell any ordor, like rotten egg smell, as the manual says. Could my sensor be going bad? Is there a fuse in the sensor? Any ideas or help, I would appreciate.
Rich Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 03:22 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Maureen, when propane is detected, the sensor doesn’t beep, it puts out a continual ear piercing scream. Beeping typically indicates end of life as the generally accepted rule of thumb is that propane detectors need to be replaced after 5 or 6 years. You state that your Casita is a 2012 model. If the propane detector is the trailer’s original detector when new, you are lucky it lasted this long. Replace it.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
LP sensor.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to call Casita tomorrow and talk with service dept. The alarm only goes off every couple of days, so I wondered about the issue being in that sensor. I wasn't sure of life of that part. I hope it will be a simple fix that I can do . If not RV shop very close by.
Thanks again. Have a good day. Happy trails.
Rich Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 10:00 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
LA
You may want to change the battery in the smoke detector mounted above just in case that's the one chirping.

The propane detector mounted on the lower base unit typically sounds a longer alarm versus an occasional chirp.
daveandalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 01:46 PM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
As the gas detectors age they become more sensitive (It seems).
The gas detector may need to be replaced as it is 12 years old now.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 10:54 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita
New Hampshire
https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard...comment=319428
lmgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:04 AM   #7

Name: tom
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
Massachusetts
A couple of things to consider.

The battery - If the alarm is beeping it is usually a low battery. SO that means you have not shutoff off the power in the Casita. The CO detector has been on the whole time, slowly discharging the battery.

Connect you battery to a battery charger until it is fully charged. This should take care of the low battery. If you are planning on "working" on the casita, packing , cleaning you can plug the unit into an extension cord from the house. There are adaptors available on Amazon. RV Camper Cord Adapter 15A Male to 30A Female 12inch Power Connector

The CO detector - Check the age of the unit. I it is original consider replacing it with a newer unit.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:48 AM   #8

Name: Bill
California
Registry
The CO/propane detector should have a manufacturing date on the back. If itís more than about 4 years old, it needs replacement. The detector or manual should also tell you what different patterns of beeps mean.
billeldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:38 PM   #9

Name: RamblinRick
Kansas
We had the same problem with a sensor on our new Casita.
I changed it out and no problems.
the sensor was faulty.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:49 PM   #10

Name: RamblinRick
Kansas
We had the same problem with a sensor on our new Casita.
I changed it out and no problems.
the sensor was faulty.
richardabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 06:45 AM   #11

Name: Ron
New Mexico
We had to replace the sensor on our trailer we were selling that was a 2014. We discovered the one Casita sells on their online store was not the right model number. After checking into it, we ordered the right one from Walmart.com and it fit great.
Ron DeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote