Mobile Office w Power Station or Generator? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #1

Name: chris
Trailer: currently shopping.
Tennessee
Mobile Office w Power Station or Generator?

Hey there. I’m looking for some advice on getting our 2022 scamp 13ft set up for partially full timing. We run an online stationery store and print and ship for a lot of our orders, so that’s been a big hurdle to figure out before trying to move into the scamp. Our idea was to boondock on a mostly and charge our batteries etc while staying in campgrounds every week or two (however long we can make it without shore power.)

Our main power draw will be our printer I think, which is about 500w while printing, which we will run for about four hours a week. We currently have the solar kit that comes w the scamp and the battery upgrade, although I don’t know exactly what type of battery it is at the moment, so I’m hoping we can run more of our normal day to day usage off of that but for the office side of things we’re looking into either a power station like a bluetti or a generator or should we go w a wired in inverter and increase the scamp battery storage?? I’m really lost trying to figure out where to go from here but i really appreciate any help you could give!
thompkinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #2

Tennessee
Also I did try this little 750watt inverter to see what would happen w plugging it into the 12vs inside the scamp and then plugging the printer into this and the inverter just died completely haha

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XI75DU-Digital-Display-Inverter/dp/B004EIBY36/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=3GE2NR4YTRFV4&keywords=750+wat t+inverter&qid=1669917342&sprefix=750watt+inverte% 2Caps%2C116&sr=8-6&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
Old 12-03-2022, 01:03 AM   #3

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
You are going to need a generator to run a laser, I can't see a bank of batteries big enough to run the computer gear, printer, and trailer appliances too. At least not in a small trailer.

Charles
Old 12-03-2022, 09:47 AM   #4

Tennessee
Thanks for the reply. That’s what I’m thinking too. Any recommendations on a generator that could handle that load?
Old 12-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I would try to confirm the Watts and Amps that the printer draws by plugging in a meter such as this one. This will help you confirm how big of generator you'll need.

I have a hard time imagining full timing in a 13 foot, let alone with a big printer. I carried a small printer in our Casita to do some. Volunteer work and spread everything out on a picnic table in the park when I was using it. Got some interesting looks and comments. I never did try to run it off the generator. Click image for larger version

Name:	20221203_093648.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	148006
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:54 AM   #6

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Can't go wrong with a Honda EU2000i. Bullet proof.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I would try to confirm the Watts and Amps that the printer draws by plugging in a meter such as this one. This will help you confirm how big of generator you'll need.

I have a hard time imagining full timing in a 13 foot, let alone with a big printer. I carried a small printer in our Casita to do some. Volunteer work and spread everything out on a picnic table in the park when I was using it. Got some interesting looks and comments. I never did try to run it off the generator. Attachment 148006
Oops that was a typo, it’s actually the 16ft, not that the extra 3 ft is going to be a huge difference but we’ll manage!

I’ll definitely get one of those plug in meters to double check the wattage. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2022, 09:41 AM   #8

Tennessee
I was just looking at that generator and comparing it with a WEN 56203i. They seem pretty comparable but of course I trust the longevity of the Honda more so but for double the price? I’m not sure.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:22 PM   #9

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
The Kill A Watt is extremely nice. You can see Volts and cycles just by plugging it into an outlet. You can also get volt/amps, amps, and watts by feeding the device thru it. Dave is correct, you need one to measure the draw on various items.

Look at Champion and Yamaha generators also.

Charles
Old 12-07-2022, 03:08 PM   #10

Name: Troy
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
The Kill A Watt is extremely nice. You can see Volts and cycles just by plugging it into an outlet. You can also get volt/amps, amps, and watts by feeding the device thru it. Dave is correct, you need one to measure the draw on various items.

Look at Champion and Yamaha generators also.

Charles

I just got a champion dual fuel 2500. Fired it up on propane and is quieter than I thought it would be. Haven’t really used it yet but I expect to get a long life out of it. Comes with a 3 year warranty as well.
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:19 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Wen 1900w 2300w surge

I bought the Wen and love it. I bought the Bluetti 700W and love it. I bought a 1500W power station and ... love it but...

The first thing to know is that if you are going to boondock and use technology then a gas or dual fuel generator is probably required. I can get about 800w for 10 hours on a gallon of gas, 1600w for 6 hours or so. My bluetti gives me 700 watts for an hour. Then I have to plug it in... or have solar. Solar is great but may or may not be reliable, what's the sunshine like?

So if technology is non-negotiable, then be thinking about an inverter generator of some kind. Do your calculations, but likely a 2Kw is plenty. The Lithium power stations are nice as a "quiet backup". Let's be honest, we usually don't need that 2k watts 24/7 and even a nice quiet fuel inverter generator is still definitely audible. And it is always louder to the neighbors, simply because it isn't their generator they are having to listen to.

Just my thoughts, from a technology user.

Tags
generator