Need full solar setup halp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2021, 09:39 PM   #1

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: in the market
Texas
Need full solar setup halp

Hi friends

I'm purchasing a 94 Scamp 19 in a couple weeks, have made an agreement with the seller but have yet to go pick it up.
I want like, max solar capabilities for boondocking. I'd rather get it all now than piecemeal (especially as Amazon has a few renogy panels on black friday sale that look good.)

The scamp has whatever the stock battery that they sold them with. For max power capabilities, what do I need?
-The scamp has an AC unit and fan, the ones that come standard. How many 4 x 2 100w panels can I fit on top? 4? more? Also, is this a good deal: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1
-I don't know what an inverter does but I know I need one.
-I probably need another battery, at least one more maybe more than that?
-A charger?
-Anything else I don't know about?

Thank you!
loombisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
getting a Scamp, solar setup

While you’re asking about solar, be sure to find out about connectors, if you go to connect is right out of the Renogy box, nothing fits, the connectors won’t hook onto your battery terminals. That’s the fix I’m in and it’s frustrating. Take a good look at the cable ends and the connectors and get some usable advice on that. While you’re looking at the Renogy sale, you’ll also need a controller. The controller connects to the battery before the cable that goes to the solar panel. An inverter converts DC to AC.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
solar setup

Renogy has the clips to connect to battery for $20
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
NC
I created a video of my Casita’s solar install which might help answer some of your questions.

https://youtu.be/5lzwRLJOBI8

I haven’t installed an inverter yet but it’s on my list. An inverter will allow you to run devices that require 120v AC off of your 12V DC batteries. It will drain them quicker but with the right size one you can run your aircon, microwave, hair dryer, laptop, etc.
My Casita YouTube videos
Shocksll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:01 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by loombisaurus View Post
Hi friends

I'm purchasing a 94 Scamp 19 in a couple weeks, have made an agreement with the seller but have yet to go pick it up.
I want like, max solar capabilities for boondocking. I'd rather get it all now than piecemeal (especially as Amazon has a few renogy panels on black friday sale that look good.)

The scamp has whatever the stock battery that they sold them with. For max power capabilities, what do I need?
-The scamp has an AC unit and fan, the ones that come standard. How many 4 x 2 100w panels can I fit on top? 4? more? Also, is this a good deal: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1
-I don't know what an inverter does but I know I need one.
-I probably need another battery, at least one more maybe more than that?
-A charger?
-Anything else I don't know about?

Thank you!
I used “Boondockingpower.com” Very easy and neat install. You can call Mel Hendricks the owner at (214) 532-1311
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:06 AM   #6

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
It seems your lack of knowledge on solar set up is limited and would suggest a qualified installer to set up your desired system as there are many, many variables in play. @Shocksll system, and video is an excellent source if you have an understanding of solar components.

Then agin like many you post questions but don’t return to your own post………….
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
It depends on what you desire to power. Easy way to get in the game would be get the suitcase and clip it on to what you have. That with a good battery will keep the lights on and enough to run your 12v controls for appliances.
Next step up would be a good lithium battery and charger. 1/2 the weight and twice the power storage or usable power.
One advantage of portable solar is you can park in the shade and put the suitcase out pointing at the sun. A 12v cigarette lighter plug type inside will power a small inverter big enough for an led tv or charging up a laptop....
Beyond that you probably get to the point you should review the old power distribution box and do an upgrade if your wanting more power.
If your thinking power an AC unit, run electric heat, any electric appliances then its a whole different game an a bunch of money for what in the end doesn't change your camping style much.

If your thinking mounting permanent panels to the top, continue to do research and be sure the top can handle it.
PatrickTXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:35 AM   #8

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Solar

You need to do more research on solar. In practical applications for a small travel trailer, powering an air conditioner with solar is not realistic. While possible, the number of panels and battery bank required would simply take up too much room in addition to being frightfully expensive. Most campers rely on solar only to recharge their camper batteries (and maybe an extra battery and some power sources like cell phone chargers) so that the battery can continue to pOwer 12 volt systems in their camper. A solar set up to run alternating current devices such as microwaves, air conditioners, and hair dryers is a whole ‘nother level and I’d recommend a one on one professional consultation, with cost estimate, for that. Many on this forum actually do have that expertise, but you tube and forum communication probably won’t be sufficient for someone starting out with no previous experience with inverters, converters, and solar.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar