Need help connecting my solar panels - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #21

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I have a round automotive voltage gauge mounted in my trailer and it works just fine.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I bought the Equus 3721 Battery and Charing System Monitor on Amazon for $15.33. I've seen other similar units available.

It is a simple device that goes into a car charger and shows you the current battery charge level.

It doesn't replace an energy monitoring system that you need if you have many batteries and solar panels.

But it can tell you when you should plug your trailer into shore power. it also appears to show the drain on the battery of your individual lights and other power drains.
I think that it is just a digital voltage meter.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #23

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
keep in mind that Uhaul used black as the + , I fried my solar controller because of that.
Mike M
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I found this monitor at Princess Auto and it works well as the 12V plug in the trailer is not located in the best spot, making it hard to read one that has the display on the end of the 12V plug in part. With this I was able to use double sided tape to mount the small display (smaller than it looks in photo) a few inches over where it is easier to read. It has a little alarm to warn you when the battery is getting to low.
Attached Thumbnails
51AKJw33l6L._SS500_.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I think that it is just a digital voltage meter.
That's exactly what it is. They are using the lighter plug for convenience. I prefer a multimeter on the battery. That said, the advantage to this gadget is that you can leave it plugged in all the time and you will be more likely to look at it. You've got to remember to use the meter.

Carols has the addition of a comparitor circuit to compare the reading to a preset value, probably about 12.2 volts, and then trigger the alarm. More info than you needed I'm sure.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Carols has the addition of a comparitor circuit to compare the reading to a preset value, probably about 12.2 volts, and then trigger the alarm. More info than you needed I'm sure.
Yup more than I need but I have to admit as we age it is nice to have little reminders to do something - such as plug in the solar panel before the battery is damaged.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup more than I need but I have to admit as we age it is nice to have little reminders to do something - such as plug in the solar panel before the battery is damaged.
Actually I ment my explanation is more than is needed. The gadget is useful I'm sure.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Hi Carol,
Where did you get your waterproof box? I'd like to use my solar panel the same way as you have and can't seem to locate a suitable box. Thanks for your help.
I put my Sunsaver solar controller in the same battery box as the battery. Keeps it dry, and it is (obviously) very close to the battery for short wires. The controller is sealed so no worries about battery fumes or explosions (the operator's manual says it is rated for hazardous locations), always charging the battery in daylight, and completely maintenance free. My wires from the solar panel (which is mounted on the trailer roof), run down the outside of the trailer, so no holes through the roof. The complete system remains outside the trailer. I monitor the battery voltage with a DC volt meter mounted on the wall inside the trailer above the kitchen stove. Super easy.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar