Need help picking breaker box - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I may be a bit of a Nervous Nelly but this doesn't seem, to me, to be a good location to mount an electrical panel.
How about running all the 120 VAC wires, 12 VDC wires, water pipes, trailer running lights and gas lines together in a bundle, and then run that bundle right under city water inlet? And then mount the converter (which is not sealed in any way against water) also pretty much right under the city water inlet?

Yet that is what they do. Note the water inlet next to the shore power inlet in my photo. But I agree, water and electric do not mix well and best option is to keep them separate. Its easier to get a leak in the sink drain.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
How about running all the 120 VAC wires, 12 VDC wires, water pipes, trailer running lights and gas lines together in a bundle, and then run that bundle right under city water inlet? And then mount the converter (which is not sealed in any way against water) also pretty much right under the city water inlet?

Yet that is what they do. Note the water inlet next to the shore power inlet in my photo. But I agree, water and electric do not mix well and best option is to keep them separate. Its easier to get a leak in the sink drain.
Bundling wires / cables with gas lines is not a recommended practice . A break in the electrical insulation could cause arcing to the gas line which is grounded or current being carried on the gas line. When burying gas lines and electrical wiring in the ground a seperation is required .In residential applications you do not find gas lines run through the same holes as wiring or cables supported or bundled to the gas lines . In our area you never see gas lines and electrical buried in the same trench. Wiring in proximity to water lines is really not a big issue because there is little chance of water starting a fire or exploding .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #23

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Seems to me that you are referring to a battery charger being used pretty much just like a converter, so its almost just a matter of semantics.

It is correct that the photo I shared is only the breaker box / fuse panel (AKA Power Distribution Panel). See this link. It marries with the Progressive Converter. The converter plugs into a standard 120 VAC outlet in the distribution panel and the converter output is wired to the battery and internal Scamp wiring so that you can run your 12 VDC stuff off the converter (when on shore power) OR the battery.

I have Scamp 16 Layout 4 with larger fridge and the panel is mounted under the cabinet where the smaller fridge would normally be. I can't say for sure the location is the same for most Scamps but I suspect it is. The converter is mounted only a foot or so away, in the space under the port side dinette seat. The shore power connection is also here (yes, having it on the starboard side like you do must be a pain!)

One thing I like about this arrangement is that there is a separate AC breaker for the Converter. In the two months or so since I installed Solar and have been experimenting with it, I don't think I have turned this breaker on at all. (I can get 120 VAC in the trailer when on shore power with the converter still turned off via breaker).

Let me know if you want further info or pics on how Scamp did my rig.

With shipping cost added, you might be able to get this stuff cheaper somewhere other than Scamp.. its worth comparing prices.

This Scamp wiring diagram does not clearly show how the current separate converter and panel are wired, but perhaps the rest of it would be of some help.

In this photo the converter is the silver box on the right, next to a PD Energy Management System box.
Thanks for the pic. I do really like that fuse panel as I can mount it somewhere on my fiberglass fixtures right instead of under the sink. So you say there is a dedicated outlet on the progressive panel to hook up the converter or did you just use an empty breaker spot wire it in?

I have been searching for a better price but so far no luck. Scamp seems to have reasonable prices but their shipping costs are quite high.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #24

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check here for new and used items.
60 Amp Elixir Industries RV Power Converter (NEW)

It does not contain breaker or fuses.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
Thanks for the pic. I do really like that fuse panel as I can mount it somewhere on my fiberglass fixtures right instead of under the sink. So you say there is a dedicated outlet on the progressive panel to hook up the converter or did you just use an empty breaker spot wire it in?
There is a single 120 VAC outlet in the panel. The converter plugs into it from the back where it is hidden. Some people have reported the plug can fall out, causing the converter to shutdown. That has not happened to me (yet).
This is the way my Scamp came from the factory. You would need to check the specs and details to make sure the receptacle is part of the panel (I guess they customize it for different camper manufacturer's specs).
See Pic.

Quote:
I have been searching for a better price but so far no luck. Scamp seems to have reasonable prices but their shipping costs are quite high.
True that!
Attached Thumbnails
PA140352 copy.jpg  
Old 04-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #26

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
There is a single 120 VAC outlet in the panel. The converter plugs into it from the back where it is hidden. Some people have reported the plug can fall out, causing the converter to shutdown. That has not happened to me (yet).
This is the way my Scamp came from the factory. You would need to check the specs and details to make sure the receptacle is part of the panel (I guess they customize it for different camper manufacturer's specs).
See Pic.

True that!
Did you run a ground wire through the floor to the Scamp frame by any chance?
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:56 AM   #27

North Carolina
Quote:
Did you run a ground wire through the floor to the Scamp frame by any chance?
I believe that Scamp did run a ground wire to the frame for the 12 VDC side. I would have to pull the panel to verify but I really don't want to do that right now.

On a related note, the ground wire from the brakes goes to the frame where it is subject to corrosion. At some point I might run the brake ground to the inside and wire it direct to the ground buss.