Need schooling in AC/DC outfitting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Name: Beverly J
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Washington
Need schooling in AC/DC outfitting

I know one works off the battery, and the other from outside plug-in.
I have a deep cell battery for boon docking, also propane for heating, cooking, and refridge, and the ability to plug the trailer into an outlet.
What's the best layout for both?
I want to be able to light with both, occasionally watch a DVD on my 15" TV , and plug in my computer.
I imagine using LED lighting will save on battery consumption, as will as plug in consumption.
I'd also like to be able to run a small interior fan, in hopes it will help keep the condensation down, even when in storage.

Requesting suggestions.

Thx,
Bev
Beverly Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It sounds like you need to update all of your light fixtures to LED's so that they will run off of the battery with minimal draw. Then a small inverter (that converts 12 VDC to 120 VAC) for occasional 120 use, such as for your TV/DVD player or your computer. There are inverters that will just plug into your 12 accessory outlet than can power the TV/DVD player or a laptop/tablet computer without any additional wiring required.

Does that help?

is your current system designed to also charge your battery when you are connected to shore power? Does your vehicle also charge the FGRV's battery when towing? Hopefully those are both YES questions.

A small heads up, don't make use of an inverter when you are plugged in with the shore cord and charging the battery. Many of the older battery chargers don't get along well with the electronics in computers.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

Name: Beverly J
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Washington
I just had 2 new batteries installed, one under the hood of my Subaru, and the other on the tongue, by the propane tanks. .. hoping they are the non-fussy type.
I will need to look to see if an invertor was installed. When I took the Boler to the RV shop I asked that one would charge the other, and I hope that also means they will charge when plugged into shore power.
So, it sounds like all I should install are 12v LED lights? I hope to get rid of having to have 2 lights installed under the galley cabinet.
Beverly Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, 12 volt LED lights would be the order of the day.

An easy way to find out if your vehicle is also charging your coach battery is, with the shore power unplugged, turn on all of the 12 volt lights in the trailer and then start the car. They should get a bit brighter with the engine running.

BTW: Are you anywhere near Chelan, WA

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is a starting reference point The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)