Need some Opinions on 120vAC to 12vDC Power Supply - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #21

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
Iota smart battery charger

I use an IOTA 30 amp smart charger. I removed the "converter" portion of my converter but kept the DC distribution panel.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #22

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Thanks for the opinions everyone . I guess it doesn't hurt to have my little homemade pc power supply on board
,at least I wont hear a hum just a whirl of wind .
Can't wait till it warms up outside so I can tinker with the trailer . Long winter this year.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #23

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Also Linda, good choice with the MPPT. Although both styles work well the MPPT is 25% to 30% more efficient than PWM. Your 100 watt panel is now equivalent to a 125-130 watt with a PWM controller.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #24

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Also Linda, good choice with the MPPT. Although both styles work well the MPPT is 25% to 30% more efficient than PWM. Your 100 watt panel is now equivalent to a 125-130 watt with a PWM controller.
Well I have this forum to thank for that choice. I have poured over every thread relating to Solar panels. I thought I would go out of my mind for a while, because I kept going back and forth over whether to do permanent install or make it portable. But what I knew I wanted was light weight (the new semi-flex panel is only 4+ lbs) and the MPPT controller, based on others advice. Now I just have to see if I can install it myself without destroying it or me.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
.......Now I just have to see if I can install it myself without destroying it or me.
About the only serious thing that you can do wrong is to short the leads from the solar panel when it is attached to the battery. I put in a heavy duty switch so I can turn off the power from my battery when I work on the electrical system or in case something starts smoking.

Heavy Duty Battery Cutoff Switch
Old 03-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Linda I am with Norm and Tom on this one. If you have the wiring in place already I would just put a new smart charge converter in it. I dont hear the one in mine at all. I also have a solar panel and do camp a lot without power. But when camping in cooler weather and at a spot that has power it is a big plus to be able to plug it in an not have to worry about how much the furnace is drawing down the battery. Also nice on bad weather days to be able to plug in and listen to tunes and watch a couple of movies and be warm at the same time without having to keep an eye on the battery monitor. Also handy to be able to just plug the trailer in at home to charge it up if its been sitting for more than a month without use - mines stored undercover so the solar isnt of much help there. Yes you could get a portable charger but its going to weigh the same and take up as much space as a new converter and you will need to take the cover off your battery to connect it up each time you want to use it - IMO way easier to just plug it in :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote