Need some Opinions on 120vAC to 12vDC Power Supply - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Lightbulb Need some Opinions on 120vAC to 12vDC Power Supply

Hi ,

Just need some opinions to my project that I might be using inside my trillium trailer .
For some time now my ac to dc power converter died from old age like I am getting there myself eventually . As of now, I have lots of 12 v power to run with out power hook up as I have solar panels 155 watts to keep my batteries charged . I have 120 v power that I can use if I decide to not use battery power when I plug in at a camp site . The thing is I don't have a 120 ac to 12v dc converter to run some of my lights and a water pump if I don't have batteries or solar power ,which takes about 6 amps and maybe 15 amps tops with lights on etc . Will have to put a surge protection plug in .
Just recently I ran across some conversion ideas online by using your old pc desktop power supply. I just happen to have 2 of them in the house sitting around and did convert them with the info online . I have a 550 watt one and a 400 watt one and I do get alot of amperage out of them to run what I have in the trailer to be happy with at 12 v . here are some links to what I am talking about to make you understand easier to what I am going to do sense they will not cost me anything .
Here goes

Converting a PC Power Supply

R/C 12 Volt Power Suppy Conversion from AT Computer Power Suppy

Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger - Page 6 - RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board
Old 03-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dave and Elinor.

I purchased a traditional 12 volt convertor because it does more than produce 12 volts. It has a smart charging system that helps extend battery life by controlling charge rate and occasionally instituting a desulfating cycle. In our motorhome the house batteries were still good after 14 years, I believe because of the smart charging cycle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Helite
Should you have a rotten egg smell then the unit is using a selenium stack and the fums that it gives off is toxic so don't use the present converter.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The only thing in my trailer that needs 12v power when plugged in is the lights, and I've considered pulling the old converter out and just using a plain old adapter just as you describe, Dave.

I do have a smartcharger I could easily bring along for the battery, and to tell the truth I'd be glad to be rid of the "hum" of the converter!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Question for Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Dave and Elinor.

I purchased a traditional 12 volt convertor because it does more than produce 12 volts.

Norm, I finally got a new battery for my Scamp 13'. I just purchased a 100w semi-flexible solar panel which I plan to mount like you did with tape. I believe my Scamp doesn't have a convertor or inverter. I have a bid on a MPPT 30A 12v controller which I plan to install. The only AC I have is one florescent light which I may take out and the fridge AC option. I'll mostly boondock. So my quetion (probably a stupid one) is do I need to add a convertor too, since I thought a MPPT controller does what you described the convertor is doing for you. And if so what kind do you have and how hard is it to add it to a trailer that probably never had one? Thanks for the advice.
Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The only thing in my trailer that needs 12v power when plugged in is the lights, and I've considered pulling the old converter out and just using a plain old adapter just as you describe, Dave.

I do have a smartcharger I could easily bring along for the battery, and to tell the truth I'd be glad to be rid of the "hum" of the converter!

Francesca
Francesca, that's exactly what I did for the same reason. I just turned off the breaker, plugged in the smart-charger that I mounted right on the converter, and ran wires to the battery. I kept the old converter in place because it also contained many 12 volt fuses that I didn't feel the need to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01174.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #7

Florida
Francesca,

Just for the record, new convertors don't seem to hum, probably because they contain no traditional power transformers. Also they are typically very light compared to the older units.

We don't use a lot of 12 volts, it seems our solar panel output is adequate with its 80 watts, lights, water pump, hot spot, TV, sat receiver and sometimes fridge fans.

Because we're usually on solar 12 volts we occasionally turn the convertor on to give it a smart charge bump.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #8

Registry
I'm glad to hear the new ones don't hum, Norm- but don't most of them have fans? That wouldn't be any better, if so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Francesca, that's exactly what I did for the same reason. I just turned off the breaker, plugged in the smart-charger that I mounted right on the converter, and ran wires to the battery. I kept the old converter in place because it also contained many 12 volt fuses that I didn't feel the need to replace.
Clever!

My setup's probably different from yours- I don't think there are any fuses in the converter that would be needed just to run the 12v lights, so I'd probably just take it out.

Since mine's a 15amp service only, I'd probably just plug the smartcharger directly into the park pedestal alongside my trailer plug in, and use the 110v outlets in the trailer for the adapter plug etc...

Francesca
Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Francesca
Of course, using one of the computer power supplies, you would be trading hum for the "whirr" of a fan...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #10

Registry
I wouldn't bother with all that computer rigamarole- I think that just an appropriate-size 12v direct-plug "adapter" would do the trick!

I have one for my big Coleman 12v cooler that would probably work just fine....

Francesca
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #11

Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Norm, I finally got a new battery for my Scamp 13'. I just purchased a 100w semi-flexible solar panel which I plan to mount like you did with tape. I believe my Scamp doesn't have a convertor or inverter. I have a bid on a MPPT 30A 12v controller which I plan to install. The only AC I have is one florescent light which I may take out and the fridge AC option. I'll mostly boondock. So my quetion (probably a stupid one) is do I need to add a convertor too, since I thought a MPPT controller does what you described the convertor is doing for you. And if so what kind do you have and how hard is it to add it to a trailer that probably never had one? Thanks for the advice.
Linda
Converters run on AC and convert AC to DC, there are a variety of types, some just produce a standard current, others charge batteries in a smart or dumb way depending on the type.

Your MPPT controller will charge the batteries using your solar panels, and you'd run your 12v DC system off your batteries. If you need anything to run on AC when boondocked you'd need an inverter. It's probably cheaper to install a DC light source than buy an inverter.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Norm, I finally got a new battery for my Scamp 13'. I just purchased a 100w semi-flexible solar panel which I plan to mount like you did with tape. I believe my Scamp doesn't have a convertor or inverter. I have a bid on a MPPT 30A 12v controller which I plan to install. The only AC I have is one florescent light which I may take out and the fridge AC option. I'll mostly boondock. So my question (probably a stupid one) is do I need to add a convertor too, since I thought a MPPT controller does what you described the convertor is doing for you. And if so what kind do you have and how hard is it to add it to a trailer that probably never had one? Thanks for the advice.
Linda
Not Norm, but my take:

The converter provides 12 volt power when you have AC power available to run accessories and to charge your battery. If you never see the need to augment your solar panels, you don't need a converter. The MPPT controller's function is to provide the right voltage to the battery from the solar panel, to charge it.

That said, it can be nice to be able to plug in and charge your battery when the opportunity presents itself. The converter I installed was about $125 and weighs 5 pounds.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #13

Florida
Francesca,

My convertor has a fan in it but I've never heard it, probably for two reasons.

First my convertor is located under the couch at the bathroom end. I doubt I would hear it if the fan turned on. Second we draw so little 12 volts (with LED lamps) that it probably never gets warm enough for the fans to come on.

We do have two fans for the refrigerator coils that run during hot days. They are almost silent during the day and at night when I can hear them, there is no need for them we shut them off.

I am amazed how little energy we use. Today we spent $8 on propane after almost 4 months on the road.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #14

California
Registry
Thanks Tom and Drew. I already replaced the original 2 12v lights with new 12v LED lights. I love them. I guess I'll give it a little time and see how efficient the solar panel is. If the battery needs supplemental charging, I'll add the converter. I have a small plug in inverter, and after a couple of camping trips, I'll see if I need more. Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks Tom and Drew. I already replaced the original 2 12v lights with new 12v LED lights. I love them. I guess I'll give it a little time and see how efficient the solar panel is. If the battery needs supplemental charging, I'll add the converter. I have a small plug in inverter, and after a couple of camping trips, I'll see if I need more. Thanks again.
One other alternative to a converter is to simply buy a small battery charger. I have this one (below) for storage, but it would also power LED lights. You can wire in a plug or just attach it to the battery with the pinch clamps.

Schumacher SC-200A Speedcharge Charger/Maintainer : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While you are waiting, if you also want to extend the life of your battery, consider a converter like the Progressive Dynamics PD-4045 power center/converter and 3 stage charger. It is easy to install and will make your trailer very, very happy.

For about $150 it should be good to go for another 25 years.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #17

California
Registry
I knew the solar installation would take a while to complete, so I purchased a float charger from Harbor Freight. Its been doing a good job of keeping the charge up so far. I read that it is better than a trickle charger because it shuts off charging when the battery is fully charger.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #18

Quote:
I knew the solar installation would take a while to complete, so I purchased a float charger from Harbor Freight. Its been doing a good job of keeping the charge up so far. I read that it is better than a trickle charger because it shuts off charging when the battery is fully charger.
That's good! It will keep the battery from going flat and getting damaged. The charger that I linked above is kind of a bigger version of that HF float charger in that it charges, then goes into float mode for storage.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
[QUOTE= I do have a smartcharger I could easily bring along for the battery, and to tell the truth I'd be glad to be rid of the "hum" of the converter!

Francesca[/QUOTE]

Do You know why converters "hum"?.......

Because they don't know the words!

Spanke
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #20

California
Registry
Thank you Tom. I keeping all of these recommendations as a resource as I tweak the mechanicals, as I get more familar with the Scamp and determine what I actually need to bolster the existing electical system.