No Scamp backup lightS?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 11:00 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
No Scamp backup lightS??

Discovered in another group that the new Scamps no longer have backup lights. It showed in the great new video but I failed to notice it. To me they are more than just to see with, they are also safety equipment to let others know you are in reverse.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/produc...enger-side-led
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Trailers with a four plug don't have backup lights anyway and they arenot required in any jurisdiction of which I am aware.

Many new cars now come with only one backup light, it would be a simple matter to add one if desired. Love the new Taillights... nice LEDs.

If you want an effective trailer reverse light try mounting a single aftermarket bright white light facing downward .
Place it at the rear bumper or better yet, under the center rear of the trailer.
This lights the ground around the trailer and really helps when backing into a campsite.

If they are "safety equipment" to inform others that you are in reverse, then why does GM and a few other manufacturers illuminate the "backup" lights when unlocking the vehicle with the remote with no one inside and the vehicle in park?
It is an aggravation in parking lots when you have to be constantly confronted with unoccupied cars which alert you to the possibility that they are about to back out in front of you.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have towed and reversed many hundreds of different trailers in my life and not one had reversing lights. For me personally, I fail to see a need for any reason. Not that I think they are a bad thing, just not really needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:27 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I didn’t know Scamps ever had back-up lights. My 2008 doesn’t.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
As far as safety is concerned , a back up horn similar to commercial vehicles would probably be more effective than a small light especially when trying to warn children.
We have the factory trailer back up camera which does nothing to warn others that we’re backing up and does even less for me
The Glenn Baglo “GOAL “ method has worked well for me .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I have the best backup lights for my Boler because they were free. I take two of the Harbor Freight work lights you get for free with purchase and stick them to either end of the bumper since they are magnetic. Really helps when backing in at night!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:39 AM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Required or not I still think back up lights are a good idea. I'm not required by state law to wear a motorcycle helmet but I still do.

We are frequently required to back our trailers, with limited rear visibility, in locations that have heavy foot traffic. Often after dark or in poor weather.

An inexpensive back up light is not asking too much of a manufacturer.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:52 AM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
One thing I always do whether towing or not is to put my Hazard lights on while backing up.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:57 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
As far as safety is concerned , a back up horn similar to commercial vehicles would probably be more effective than a small light especially when trying to warn children.
We have the factory trailer back up camera which does nothing to warn others that we’re backing up and does even less for me
Not so good for the rest of the campground when backing into a campground at 12:00AM...

I agree on the "Get Out And Look" particularly since I travel solo. I don't arrive after dark (well, once in 10 years), so back up lights wouldn't help parking.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Registry
BACK UP HORN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
That would be nice at the camp ground. Late set ups would be waking up everyone in the camp ground. That's as bad as my f150s that honked the horn every time I opened the door with the engine running. I had to pay a soft ware guy $100 to change one digit in one line on code because Ford said it was required by federal law.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I don't think I've ever had a trailer with back up lights
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Registry
7 pin vs 4 pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I didn’t know Scamps ever had back-up lights. My 2008 doesn’t.
To have backup lights the RV needs a 7 pin cord, common on RVs with brakes. Many Scamp 13' RVs did not have brakes. New Scamps all have brakes and the 7 pin hookup, but for some reason, after many great additions, this year they did away with backup lights. I can't even find a small stop/tail fixture with back up lights. I just changed the lamps in mine to get LED. (and added a flasher to the top lights to get the attention of texters. it flashes three times and then stays on.)
Attached Thumbnails
56 STROBE.jpg  
Old 01-05-2021, 01:49 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
To have backup lights the RV needs a 7 pin cord, common on RVs with brakes. Many Scamp 13' RVs did not have brakes. New Scamps all have brakes and the 7 pin hookup, but for some reason, after many great additions, this year they did away with backup lights. I can't even find a small stop/tail fixture with back up lights. I just changed the lamps in mine to get LED. (and added a flasher to the top lights to get the attention of texters. it flashes three times and then stays on.)
My 2008 came from the factory with a 7-pin connector, battery charge line, no brakes (they were an option), and no backup lights. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one with backup lights. Did yours come with factory back-up lights?
Old 01-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I should have stated my response more carefully
I was not advocating anyone install a back up horn , mainly because of the noise during sleeping hours but if you wanted to warn everyone that you are backing up , a light is not very effective , especially during daylight hours
A loud blaring horn is more likely to get people’s attention was my point .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #15

Wisconsin
Registry
AS PIctured

Quote:
My 2008 came from the factory with a 7-pin connector, battery charge line, no brakes (they were an option), and no backup lights. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one with backup lights. Did yours come with factory back-up lights?
The upper lamp is the backup, lower is the stop/turn/tail.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
So there is a clear section of the lens at the bottom? What year is that?
Old 01-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Registry
I made an edit

Quote:
So there is a clear section of the lens at the bottom? What year is that?
I may have made an edit just as you hit send.

On the "face" the is a clear part high for the backup light, red in the lower part, and clear under the left light for the plate light (lighted by the tail light.) Mine is a 2017 16'.
Attached Thumbnails
canvas.png  
Old 01-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Mine seems to be the first response, here on the forum, from California where back-up lights are REQUIRED on all vehicles and tow vehicles. I cannot imagine running a vehicle without them as they are a vital warning system to pedestrians and drivers of other vehicle to LOOK OUT!

Ours is a 2011 13' SCAMP purchased new and picked up in person at the Backus plant. I'm wondering now if they built our SCAMP to California regulations. When we had the hitch system with brakes installed on our tow vehicle by U-Haul we did have a problem in that the rear back-up lights did not work and they fixed the problem. As part of our safety check before EVERY outing (which could be several times a day) we do a back-up light check. I, for one, highly recommend having back-up lights whether they are required or not.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Honestly, adding a backup light is down right trivial.
Spend $20 and add one.
Weigh that against the cost of those new and MUCH improved LED taillights.
Separate backup lights are better anyway.

I have VERY nice aftermarket backup lights on my 2004 Scamp13D.
I was surprised to see that it came from the factory with backup lights, but I only bothered to hook them up on half the TVs which I have used over the years. I do like them since they actually illuminate the area behind the trailer and facilitate backing in at campgrounds.

BTW... I can find no law for California which would require backup lights on a Scamp trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Well thank you Floyd, I am willing to stand corrected about the CA law, but I've always functioned as if it were law. No wonder I've almost been run over as a pedestrian several times because others' back-up lights that did not function.

I'm not a lawyer and am not going to research the issue but this is one article I found https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/vehicle...ect-24616.html. It seems the qualifying word is "may" as opposed to "must". I'm not a lawyer

Drive safely and be safe everyone.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, light, scamp