Ordered a 100 Ah Lithium Battery - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #61

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
WHOAAAA!!! IMPRESSIVE!!

It'll be fine, once he gets a hold of that lithium battery he'll soon ditch all the lead acid batteries

He doesn't have to do it NOW but I am VERY confidant he will EVENTUALLY be able to!! YAY!!!
Agree the lithium gelpack battery we got was half the weight and lasted longer.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:09 AM   #62

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Where is your A/C located? Ours in under the side dinette seat and doesn't work very well.
But, we operate it on a 30 AMP supply. If yours draws 40 amps, you would be tripping the breakers.
I think the 40amp was supposed to be amp hours, as in current draw in a day.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:51 AM   #63

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
At some point in time you have to ask yourself “ Is the end result worth all the time , expense and effort you are devoting to any project ?
Spending thousands of dollars on solar , lithium batteries , expensive electronics monitors / controllers , inverters , converters ,so you can camp off grid and still run your A/C , and stay connected via social networking seem like a huge effort in futilely.
At $10 / night for a nice COE campsite with water and electric , I can camp about 500 nights for the cost of an elaborate off grid system
Our trailer has the factory dual solar , dual deep cell batteries and an inverter and I can’t justify that expenditure, no matter how hard I try
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:04 AM   #64

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
With a modicum of battery awareness, we get along well with the 300 watts of solar we have and four AGMs. We camp mostly out west in bright sun. I just laugh at the ability to use the electric coffee maker every morning. How cool is that?

We also avoid "full hookup" camp grounds as they mostly feel like expensive parking lots. Definitely not my style of "camping". So, the batteries are important, and I'm looking forward to getting setup with lithiums.

We just committed on a new trailer and it will have the "Off Grid" package with 400 watts of solar and 480 AH of lithium. Sheesh, not sure what I'll do with all of that power! Maybe jump-start a small town or something.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:15 AM   #65

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What's the new trailer? What's wrong with the Black Series HQ19?
Old 05-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #66

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
With a modicum of battery awareness, we get along well with the 300 watts of solar we have and four AGMs. We camp mostly out west in bright sun. I just laugh at the ability to use the electric coffee maker every morning. How cool is that?

We also avoid "full hookup" camp grounds as they mostly feel like expensive parking lots. Definitely not my style of "camping". So, the batteries are important, and I'm looking forward to getting setup with lithiums.

We just committed on a new trailer and it will have the "Off Grid" package with 400 watts of solar and 480 AH of lithium. Sheesh, not sure what I'll do with all of that power! Maybe jump-start a small town or something.
Hope your new trailer meets all your expectations
We have the EMS and whole trailer inverter on our Escape, and in 3 years have never used either one -
We usually camp at COE , State or County campgrounds and seldom feel like we are camping in a Walmart parking lot but then again , we are also not into the Kaczynski style of camping

Good luck !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #67

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
What's the new trailer? What's wrong with the Black Series HQ19?
It's an Imperial Xplore X-22 (not the toy hauler model), built in Wisconsin.
It's a V nose fiberglass trailer with aluminum structure and heavily insulated. Independent torsion suspension with hydraulic ride height adjustment of 8", so it's good for highways and off-road. Has 33X10.5 tires excellent for off-road and desert sand. 400 watts of solar and 480 AH of lithium. Fully enclosed and insulated underneath with steel skid plates. Rated for very low temp camping. Crowned walkable roof, and a beautiful interior with dry bath, cedar tongue and groove ceiling and full galley with oven.

Black Series is going through some changes and the company philosophy is not compatible. Plus, I want to scale back a bit with a lighter and more efficient trailer. This one is at least 1500 lbs lighter, much more efficient, easier to tow, and has better workmanship.

The Oliver was a beautiful trailer, excellent quality, but turned out to be a bit too simple, uncomfortable, and not suitable for rough desert roads or for longer term traveling, for us. The Black Series is a luxury apartment on wheels that is off-road capable, but has poor workmanship and a company culture that grates on me. It is heavy and harder to tow. The Xplore is a nice compromise between the two. Very comfortable and efficient, well made, good company when something is needed, and just a more practical size, for us. It is also unbeatable in winter and that is when we travel a lot. No winterizing needed.

Here's a picture: It is shown with a rooftop tent, but I've deleted that on my order.
Attached Thumbnails
015.jpg  
Old 05-31-2021, 12:03 PM   #68

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
how does that height adjustment work with the hitch height? I'd think that would cause the trailer nose angle to change, unless your tow vehicle also has air lifts.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:15 PM   #69

I'm already tired of the graphics. Does it come in
camouflage?
Old 05-31-2021, 01:36 PM   #70

Smith Valley, Nevada
John,

Not sure of the best way to handle that yet. Either level on the highway and tail high off road, or two drawbars. Probably two drawbars. That feature will be handy for leveling at camp too.

Oh, and it has a 10 cu ft compressor fridge with a large freezer section. A built in air compressor with outside quick disconnect. And a Laveo dry flush toilet with no black tank. Not sure how that will work out.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:12 PM   #71

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
.... And a Laveo dry flush toilet with no black tank. Not sure how that will work out.
ah, I noticed in their bathroom surround pic it wasn't the normal thetford, so now that you named it, I ahd to investigate it.

that uses special cartridges, 3 for $60 or so, that are good for 15-17 uses. the waste goes into a mylar bag, which is automatically sealed by the electric mechanism in the toilet between each 'flush'. after 15-17 uses, you have to remove the 'bucket' from the inside of the toilet, and remove the cartridge, dispose of it, and install a new one.

no thanks. 2 of us can get a full week out of the black tank on our Escape, thats WAY more than 15-17 flushes.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:30 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
that uses special cartridges, 3 for $60 or so, that are good for 15-17 uses. the waste goes into a mylar bag

Just what the world needs; more crap encased in plastic.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #73

Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
At some point in time you have to ask yourself “ Is the end result worth all the time , expense and effort you are devoting to any project ?
Spending thousands of dollars on solar , lithium batteries , expensive electronics monitors / controllers , inverters , converters ,so you can camp off grid and still run your A/C , and stay connected via social networking seem like a huge effort in futilely.
At $10 / night for a nice COE campsite with water and electric , I can camp about 500 nights for the cost of an elaborate off grid system
Our trailer have the factory dual solar , dual deep cell batteries and an inverter and I can’t justify that expenditure, no matter how hard I try
OTOH many of us aren't interested in that type of camping. Do whatever works best for you but don't expect the next guy to want that.

I am about to build an elaborate off grid system for well under $2k. LiPo4 280 ah. 2kw inverter 400w solar. I'm able to add another battery and more panels if needed.

Remember that we each have unique experience and hobbies. Mine happens to be electronics. But what is simple for me is not for you.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:43 PM   #74

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Just what the world needs; more crap encased in plastic.
rotflmao, you nailed it.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:48 PM   #75

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
that uses special cartridges, 3 for $60 or so, that are good for 15-17 uses. the waste goes into a mylar bag, which is automatically sealed by the electric mechanism in the toilet between each 'flush'. after 15-17 uses, you have to remove the 'bucket' from the inside of the toilet, and remove the cartridge, dispose of it, and install a new one...
oops, its $100 for 3 cartridges, good for 15 uses each. so thats over $2 per flush. YEOW.

oh, and they are out of stock most places, back ordered for months. hope you can hold it in that long!!
Old 05-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #76

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
We just committed on a new trailer and it will have the "Off Grid" package with 400 watts of solar and 480 AH of lithium. Sheesh, not sure what I'll do with all of that power! Maybe jump-start a small town or something.[/QUOTE]

You can run your AC unit with all that power!

On another note. Why would you put a RTT on a off road trailer? I am currently building a RTT and plan on hauling it on the truck so we can travel to an area park the trailer and go overlanding for a few days at a time. This is easy for us because all our stuff is in bins and it will just take a few minutes to move them to the truck then go.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:18 PM   #77

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:
John,

And a Laveo dry flush toilet with no black tank. Not sure how that will work out.
Sounds like you might want to consider a composting toilet. With all that power you would have no problem running a fan. With a composting toilet you want to make sure you have a fresh air inlet when you run an exhaust fan. I understand it can backflow the toilet fan which I am sure would inspire you to open a window.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #78

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:

that uses special cartridges, 3 for $60 or so, that are good for 15-17 uses.
The dealer has them for $17 and I've found them on-line for $20. It is way different than a black tank, and I'm not sure if we'll like it, but I already know I don't like the black tank. An incinerator toilet is another interesting option I'm investigating. The incinerators are well proven and used in places like construction cranes. They are beginning to be used in trailers too. After some number of cycles, you end up with some ash to simply dump out of a little tray.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:42 PM   #79

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Sounds like you might want to consider a composting toilet. With all that power you would have no problem running a fan. With a composting toilet you want to make sure you have a fresh air inlet when you run an exhaust fan. I understand it can backflow the toilet fan which I am sure would inspire you to open a window.
Thanks Carl,

I know nothing about these, and am curious. Have you tried one? I've watched a few youtube videos about them and the users seem to like them.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:52 PM   #80

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
You can run your AC unit with all that power!

On another note. Why would you put a RTT on a off road trailer? I am currently building a RTT and plan on hauling it on the truck so we can travel to an area park the trailer and go overlanding for a few days at a time. This is easy for us because all our stuff is in bins and it will just take a few minutes to move them to the truck then go.[/QUOTE]

Carl,

I deleted the Roof Top Tent, and I deleted the AC. But I'm considering an AC like Snoozy did/does. A small window unit on the rear wall. With the R24 roof, R-13 walls, and R-11 floor, I'm thinking a 5,000-8,000 BTU unit would do the trick and it would draw way less power than the 13,500 BTU monsters on most roofs that are WAY too noisy, heavy and inefficient.

Any thoughts on that?

Tags
battery