Ordered a 100 Ah Lithium Battery - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2021, 05:06 PM   #81

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Thanks Carl,

I know nothing about these, and am curious. Have you tried one? I've watched a few youtube videos about them and the users seem to like them.
I have never used one. They have urine diverters which you dump every day or so but the poop part lasts a long time (weeks) between cleanouts. I have used a luggable loo, which is just a bag in a bucket with sawdust. The lid I bought had a small opening which I sealed. I tried it in the house for a number of nights and detected no smell in the bathroom. It took some courage to do, but the inside of the bucket smelled like musty sawdust. One thing you don't want to do is pee in it as that really makes a stink. I put some sawdust in the bottom and add a handful every so often, but mostly just shake it up a little to cover the poop with sawdust. We go where the bears go when we can and use the luggable loo other times when no facilities are available. We dispose of the bag in a dumpster when necessary (I know, plastic in the landfill sin). I would think a composting toilet would be similar.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #82

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
The Oliver was a beautiful trailer, excellent quality, but turned out to be a bit too simple, uncomfortable, and not suitable for rough desert roads or for longer term traveling, for us. The Black Series is a luxury apartment on wheels that is off-road capable, but has poor workmanship and a company culture that grates on me. It is heavy and harder to tow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	EarthCruiser-2009-185a-1024x683.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	141313

Wow. One more change in RVs and we're calling in Dr. Ruth for an intervention to talk to you about your commitment issues!!!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:02 AM   #83

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
I just use a cheap 35AH 12 Volt SLA battery to power my fan and water pump.

It's super cheap and won't burst into flames and burn down the trailer like a LiPo can if improperly charged, or made from cheap Chinese cells and Battery Management System.

(Watch YouTube LiPo explode for some scary fun!)

If you need 100 Amp discharge and run all your appliances all day and night, my solution will not work for you and you may need to figure out how to use LiPo without making a dangerous situation for you and your family. You can do it so that if things go bad you won't wake up dead, but it's not as easy to make safe as Lead Acid batteries.

Each of us has different needs and no one battery/solar/generator solution is better than any other for everyone.
Generally the cells used to replace lead-acid battery are LFP chemistry and not the NCA or NMC chemistries that are used in RC batteries. It's a bit less energy-dense, but also has drastically less dramatic failure modes. You basically have to pre-heat it to something like 300F in an oven before overcharging it then physically damaging it in order to get it to ignite. When badly overcharged or damaged, they generally just expand then vent electrolyte. While it's not the best thing to be breathing in, it's probably not nearly as bad as what a flooded lead-acid battery would do in the same circumstances.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:03 AM   #84

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
It's super cheap and won't burst into flames and burn down the trailer like a LiPo can if improperly charged, or made from cheap Chinese cells and Battery Management System.

(Watch YouTube LiPo explode for some scary fun!)
You are discussing two entirely different technologies

https://www.robsonforensic.com/artic...xpert-witness/

LiPo stands for Lithium POLYMERS. Those are the batteries used for drones and such. They hold more charge per weight but have stability problems.

LiFePO4 stands for Lithium Iron Phosphate. These batteries are an entirely different chemical composition and do not explode.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...of_lithium_ion

I find it annoying when people do the "explodes" stuff without a clue about reality and with no links to support their opinions.

The truth is that LiFEPo4 batteries are considered safe to install indoors and are used in thousands of RVs. They are used in off grid installs for houses. To date AFAIAA not a single RV (or house) fire has resulted.
jwcolby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #85

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
"...I find it annoying when people do the "explodes" stuff without a clue about reality and with no links to support their opinions...."

Ditto and thank you.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery