I've got my 2007 21' Bigfoot
jacked up in the yard. I'm rewiring the electric brakes
. I came out this morning to find the outdoor bulb burned out and the plastic cover melted!
I checked the voltage just now. It's 13.75v. The trailer is plugged into 110v and detached from the tow vehicle. Battery
Reason for brake work: Both right side brakes
were not engaging so I attached jumpers from the front left brake wires to the non-functioning front right brake and immediately all four brakes
function. So my bad wire is discovered. I'm waiting on 10ga wire to rebuild the entire harness. So - that's the only electrical
work going on with this trailer.
I put in an LED into the outdoor socket. Of course it lights
Any ideas what happened? Can old bulbs just overheat like that or did there have to be a current spike? There's no tow vehicle attached so little chance the brakes could be even activated - and why would the brakes even effect this one bulb? Other electrics function fine; fridge
, pump etc.