Paneltronics main breaker tripping. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #1

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Scamp
Hollywood
Paneltronics main breaker tripping.

I have installed a paneltronics 6 circuit panel with a 30 amp 120 main that trips on reverse polarity.
It does not like the floating ground on my 1000w aims inverter.
I want to disable the reverse polarity protection.
I disconnected the two small connections to the section of the main breaker that you connect to the neutral buss.
It seems to work but I could not find any information.
Tcjmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have never seen a reverse protection AC circuit breaker. I have seen ground fault interrupters and Arc fault detecting breakers.
Do you have a link to the product?
Did you get a DC breaker panel or an AC?
Also you may have a problem with wiring.
If a ground fault system the neutral must be connected along with the hot. The ground fault trips when the current in the neutral must be almost exactly the same as the current in the hot side. If you have connected the neutral of the input to the ground this may be your problem. Ground and neutral must be connected only at the service entrance. If you are using the inverter and the grounds are interconnected or neither is connected that should not affect a GFCI breaker, unless the AC is too noisy for the breaker. Too much hash on the AC may be a problem.
I have attached a copy of the PDF for at least one of their panels. It shows how the panel should be attached for shore power.
Do you have a switch to go from shore power to the inverter or is the changeover automatic in the inverter?

Paneltronics Panel.pdf
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #3

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Scamp
Hollywood
Here is a link to the breaker.
https://www.boatid.com/paneltronics/...BoCADsQAvD_BwE

It is a reverse polarity not a gfci.

The issue is that the neutral floats in my inverter (aims 1000w).
It is a known and relatively common problem.
The inverter is full sine wave and works well.
I had two issues where I had it trip and it is hard to reset.
I have stand alone transfer that works just fine and just rewired the entire trailer using marine cable.
I used 12/3 marine stranded for the 120 and 12/2 ,for the DC.
I have a 6 position (only using 4) paneltronics ac panel and a 4 position with master for dc I much prefer breakers to fuses.
Tcjmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
In the case of reverse polarity it has to do with the power being transferred by the ground wire and not the neutral. This can be completely or partially and this is usually the term used in marine applications and is actually a ground fault by definition if you are not on the water.
This unit is mainly used to detect a problem in the wiring from the marina dock and not within the boat, although it would do that as well.
The inverter should have it's ground connected to the RV ground circuit and the neutral should be isolated from that ground. The inverter would be connected to the output neutral and hot from this breaker.
The reverse polarity breaker you have is mis-applied in this case.
That breaker is designed to meet the requirements of the USCG ABYC and others.
The RV must meet the rules of RVIA and the NEC.
Are you wiring a boat or a trailer?
You would do better to use a GFCI, but here is a diagram for wiring from Paneltronics.
Reverse protection circuit breaker.pdf
You should probably feed the inverter from the load side of this breaker if you keep it in the circuit.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #5

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcjmiami View Post
Here is a link to the breaker.
https://www.boatid.com/paneltronics/...BoCADsQAvD_BwE

I have stand alone transfer that works just fine and just rewired the entire trailer using marine cable.

I used 12/3 marine stranded for the 120 and 12/2 ,for the DC
I much prefer breakers to fuses.
Will look into using the wire in our trailer in the 120v parts.

Thanks for the info
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote