Please advise, Wiring on CT13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Moderator
 
Pam Garlow's Avatar
 
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Posts: 3,437
Registry
My CT's original wiring included a 15amp circuit breker and 110 electrical plug. It was the only 110 in the trailer. And it constantly blew if I plugged in anything that drew much power. Hense, why I had a bigger breaker panel installed (see my post #15).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 5,418
Pam: Do you have any info as to what was installed for a breaker panel. I have eliminated the original Uhaul breaker and installed a couple extra outlets and two 110V lights, but I'm relying on the campgrounds' breakers, and not real comfortable with that. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,020
Battery Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The Uhauls had a battery box with a vented cover located center rear. If it is gone I would buy one, at Walmart or auto parts store or boat place. Screw it to the floor. How about the power converter, is it still there, but I'm guessing it's not. What about the original 12 volt lights. Otherwise from your pictures it looks like a wiring butcher job that someone did there. Uhaul's original wiring wasn't so great from what I'm seeing in ours. Right now I'm doing the 110Volt wiring, then going to upgrade the 12 volt and add a couple more lights. And what about the rear window, I'm looking for a replacement for ours as it is in bad shape, but haven't made a final decision yet. If you need to talk to someone about the wiring let me know. How about joining us at Jane's Uhaul rally in SC in April for a wiring lesson. Bob
Thanks for your advice, I will buy a new battery box but am still afraid to have it under the bed. I am thinking of locating it outside on the bumper. Any thoughts?
The power converter is rusted, main line is cut, I am thinking of having a new converter put in. From what I have read on the forums here, the
"WFCO Converter Charger" has been suggested.
The rear window in mine has been cut in half to make room for a household window unit air conditioner... Guess I could plug it into a tree, HA! Am thinking of installing a vent fan to run off of 12 volt. Are there any that run off of 110 and 12 volt? Will need to replace back window also at some point. For now I beleive the wiring is the most important thing.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,020
30 amp 110 system

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
The Uhauls had a battery box with a vented cover located center rear. If it is gone I would buy one, at Walmart or auto parts store or boat place. Screw it to the floor. How about the power converter, is it still there, but I'm guessing it's not. What about the original 12 volt lights. Otherwise from your pictures it looks like a wiring butcher job that someone did there. Uhaul's original wiring wasn't so great from what I'm seeing in ours. Right now I'm doing the 110Volt wiring, then going to upgrade the 12 volt and add a couple more lights. And what about the rear window, I'm looking for a replacement for ours as it is in bad shape, but haven't made a final decision yet. If you need to talk to someone about the wiring let me know. How about joining us at Jane's Uhaul rally in SC in April for a wiring lesson. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I drove into my local RV shop and had them in stall a new 30amp 110 system (so I have the capacity for AC if I decide to). It is also wired through my existing inverter (converter?) that allows me to also have 12v lights and charges the battery. I feel much better with all new wiring in the trailer.
Pam, sounds like this is what I need also, except RV dealers are expensive. Thanks for your response.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,020
Needle in eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilla View Post
Diane I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than try to sort thru all that. I'm collecting all the stuff to redo my wiring and change over to 30 amp from 15 but I'm going to wimp out and have someone connect all the wires for me once I get everything bought. I would probably just sit there and whine if I had to do it. I'm scared of doing it wrong and having a fire or something but kudos to you for trying!
Camilla, HA! I feel the same way...Have been single most of my life and had to do fix up and repair myself on things but this is so much info so fast. I am thinking of getting a "friend" ? who knows more than EYE to do this. But I still need to learn about it to be able to relay what I want done. Thanks for your response.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,020
Neat job

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Best solution, get someone that knows how to show you. Not a lot to it, a few tools, basic knowledge, and some time to do a neat job.
Bob, Thank you, I agree, will try to find someone. Time is a wasting...want to be in the woods in March! Actually think I may know of someone...
Thank you for responding.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
My fuse box is under the bed/table just in front of the battery compartment. You don't need to open any of the cabinets. There is an original door with a twist lock on mine. You need to look for the burned out fuse and find an identical replacement. Mine say up to 32 v and 15 amps.
Mouse, Thanks for responding. I have intently been reading your progress with your little trailer in the forums. You seem to really be getting it together! In this case I do NOT have a fuse box under the bed/table. However I think I do need a upgraded fuse /breaker panel from what I have read.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,020
Electrical Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Just a caution to the OP, you should get a book or other learning material and understand basic DC circuits. That battery has the capacity to do great damage (think burns, fire) if shorted out. Understand about minimum wire gauges, fuse sizes, how to wire a switch.

It is not complicated, but you really owe it to yourself to get down the basics. Plus you will save yourself from doing the job twice.

Amazon.com: Used and New: Basic Electricity and Dc Circuits
Thomas, Thank you, I agree with learning as much as you can about the subject, and will take your advice. Thank you.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 11,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Am thinking of installing a vent fan to run off of 12 volt. Are there any that run off of 110 and 12 volt?
One of the most popular fans is the Fantastic Fan and its 12 volt. Basically anything such as your lights and fans that are 12volt all continue to run on 12 volt when plugged into 110. The only thing that happens when you plug into 110 is the battery is being charging via the converter without running down your battery. The nice part of having 12V items is that they will all continue to work whether you are plugged into 110 power or not. Only thing you need to figure out is how to keep the battery charged up when not plugged into 110 for an extended time (more than a day or two) chooses are either solar or a generator.

Suspect I havent explained that well! LOL No doubt someone here will use the correct terminology as to how it actually works.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
..........Only thing you need to figure out is how to keep the battery charged up when not plugged into 110 for an extended time (more than a day or two) chooses are either solar or a generator.................
Other choice is to wire it so your car charges when you drive, but at this point, I'd stick to the easy stuff.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
One of the most popular fans is the Fantastic Fan and its 12 volt. Basically anything such as your lights and fans that are 12volt all continue to run on 12 volt when plugged into 110. The only thing that happens when you plug into 110 is the battery is being charging via the converter without running down your battery. The nice part of having 12V items is that they will all continue to work whether you are plugged into 110 power or not. Only thing you need to figure out is how to keep the battery charged up when not plugged into 110 for an extended time (more than a day or two) chooses are either solar or a generator.

Suspect I havent explained that well! LOL No doubt someone here will use the correct terminology as to how it actually works.
Oh Carol, Thank you so much...I did not know this!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
D Davis's Avatar
 
Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Other choice is to wire it so your car charges when you drive, but at this point, I'd stick to the easy stuff.
Thank you Thomas, I am listening to you. Am finished work now and will be headed out to order new converter and fuse panel. Still not exactly sure of type of fuse panel.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 11,756
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Other choice is to wire it so your car charges when you drive, but at this point, I'd stick to the easy stuff.
If the tow and trailer are wired correctly most actually do that. But it will take for most a long long drive for the tow to fully recharge the battery.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Thank you Thomas, I am listening to you. Am finished work now and will be headed out to order new converter and fuse panel. Still not exactly sure of type of fuse panel.
You might like something like this for a converter:
Inteli-Power 9245 Converter/Charger 45 Amp 9200 w/ Charge Wizard ..

For a fuse panel, the one recommended by Bob in post #8 would be fine.
NAPA AUTO PARTS
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If the tow and trailer are wired correctly most actually do that. But it will take for most a long long drive for the tow to fully recharge the battery.
True, but UHauls were never wired to charge from the mother ship, so I wanted Diane to know that that is a possible avenue to pursue as soon as she gets her DC wiring apprenticeship completed.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,500
Starting Over

I rewired homes for many years. I rewired the Minnesota Governor's Mansion , part of the James J Hill Home , the residence of the Archbishop of Saint Paul, the home of Sally Ordway heir to the Crane Ordway Plumbing fortune and the home of Garrison Keillor from NPR'S Prairie Home Companion. These were huge 3 and 4 story homes and a real challenge to rewire. The scariest and hardest homes to rewire were ones where the home owner did his own work and you had to correct his mistakes . There was no logic or electrical knowledge displayed in their work. You had to assume "EVERYTHING THEY DID WAS WRONG". I found it easier to tear out their work and start completely over . The home owner often objected to the cost but I was not going to risk my electricians license and end up being sued to save him money . Start fresh , color code your wiring , differentiate between the systems AC/DC , use the right size wire, terminate and splice carefully and do Not cut corners , a fire or loss of a life is awful expensive. If you don't know or understand ASK! and ask someone who is an electrician not the kid at Home Depot
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I rewired homes for many years. I rewired the Minnesota Governor's Mansion , part of the James J Hill Home , the residence of the Archbishop of Saint Paul, the home of Sally Ordway heir to the Crane Ordway Plumbing fortune and the home of Garrison Keillor from NPR'S Prairie Home Companion. These were huge 3 and 4 story homes and a real challenge to rewire. The scariest and hardest homes to rewire were ones where the home owner did his own work and you had to correct his mistakes . There was no logic or electrical knowledge displayed in their work. You had to assume "EVERYTHING THEY DID WAS WRONG".........
So who did a worse job of wiring their own house...Garrison Keillor or the Archbishop of Saint Paul?
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Posts: 5,418
Diane: I don't think it's necessary to relocate the battery box to the bumper, ours is staying under the rear bunk. I am going to install a battery disconnect switch that is easily accessible. Another converter that some like is made by Progressive Dynamics, I believe they are Made in the USA. Just another piece of info here is that the Uhaul bumpers are aluminum, something I didn't realize because mine is painted. Another member here told me about it. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,500
Garrison Keillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
So who did a worse job of wiring their own house...Garrison Keillor or the Archbishop of Saint Paul?
Garrison is not much of a back yard mechanic , in fact I'm not sure he knows which end of a screwdriver to use. ( I actually worked on two of his homes one home was when he was with his first wife and one home was when he was with his new girlfriend (after he got famous!) I moved the towels in his
bathroom located directly above the bath tub and what did I find but an exposed electrical fuse panel hidden behind the towels. The copper bus bars in the panel were all corroded . When I asked if they were concerned they said no and that they hung a plastic shower curtain in front of the panel when they showered. The St Paul Electrical Inspector was not willing to accept their logic and we spent 3 days moving the panel.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
......... The St Paul Electrical Inspector was not willing to accept their logic ...........
What could go wrong?
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CT13 - Exterior Lighting Wiring Wolfyjedi Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 4 09-13-2011 05:39 PM
Some wiring advise? Rob L Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators 10 12-14-2009 05:32 PM
Need advise on new converter upgrade FredericL Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 05-14-2009 08:52 AM
Advise on Foam for cushions MikeCM Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 16 04-19-2009 02:54 PM
Help! Need some advise Adrian W General Chat 1 02-27-2007 08:16 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.