Portable solar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Smile Portable solar

I recently bought a suitcase type portable solar. How or where best to transport it? It came in a fairly good case of some kind of fabric. Best in the trailer on the bed or best in the truck? Flat or on edge? Thanks for your help.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Mine fits very nicely behind the passenger seat in my standard cab F-150. Easy to get in and out and pretty well protected, while not being obvious when stored there.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Won't work in my extended cab truck. Thanks for the reply.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Our solar panel is fixed,
We've been thinking of getting a portable unit and have put some thought into transportation. we have a truck camper and space is at a premium.

In addition, while we don't have a portable panel i've a fair amount of experience shipping and transportation of artwork.

I like to keep glass vertical, and I would build a light weight stand that prevents the panel from any kind of twisting force. just a small frame with a section of foam between the panel and the frame.
The biggest reason is it's less likely to have stuff put on top of it, if its vertical.

Or tossing it onto the bed with something to keep it from moving left to right or fore an aft, but doesn't put any force on the panel.

What I'm not crazy about with the bed, is that if it's raining and you don't have the panel outside. it's in the way.
That's one of the reasons we haven't yet got a panel is the lack of space to put it when we are inside the rig and it's not outside.
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'll say that it's probably better on edge than flat. Beyond that, only you will know what works for you. They are ok laying flat, since many people have them installed flat on their roof. Flat just takes up a lot of space and you probably don't want to stack things on top of them. Mine rides in the back of my truck, but I have a topper and mine came in a metal suitcase, so it can take more abuse than your fabric case.

The best compromise/balance between being out of your way, yet easily accessible is the best spot.

I don't like to keep mine in my trailer, because obviously there's nowhere out of the way to store it, and sometimes I'm just somewhere overnight and don't need to set it up. So then it's just in the way. So the back of my truck works best for me.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #6

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
depends on you....

and your situation...

"The best compromise/balance between being out of your way, yet easily accessible is the best spot."

truer words never been spoke....
Attached Thumbnails
solarsto.jpg   solarsto2.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have a Dakota with canopy and "Bed Rug". I built a 2x4 and plywood pocket for the panel to slide into. Front against the bed rug and stop toward the front of the truck and tail gate keep it inplace. I also have plenty of cable so I can chase the sun when needed.
I put a "pig tail" on the battery with Anderson Power pole connector and on the charge cable for the solar. I have a second battery in the back of the truck for Ham Radio Operations plus other things it too has a big tail.
Below are photos including the panel set up for Ham Radio Operations.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3189.jpg   DSCN3190.jpg  

DSCN3191.jpg   DSCN3006.jpg  

Tags
solar