power extension cord hatch in or out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 04:16 PM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
power extension cord hatch in or out

I know a lot of the older trailer have worn out hatches for 110 volt power cords. The kind that lets you coil up the cord inside the RV and then pull it out from the wall and over to the electrical hookup at home or at an RV park.

While I do have a new 30 amp inlet box I want to have a way to bring a regular 110v extension cord in or out through a hatch without doing that through the door or window on a rainy day. I have several needs for that. Of course there are other styles of 110v inlet and outlet plugs but this was what I wanted for now.

Anyway I found what I was looking for in my local West Marine store at an affordable price. It is easy to remove the cord or install the cord by unscrewing that small notched plate you see at the back. So no cord cutting or wiring for use with a regular extension cord running through it is required. Plus if I wanted I could run a TV coax cable in or cords for portable solar, external temporary mount antenna for WIFI signal booster, radio or TV etc. I just wanted something really versatile to meet whatever temporary wiring situations I might have. As far as water coming in, there is a cap that seals it but also the lower half of my trailer slopes in such a way that water will run back out.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/proma...9?recordNum=11

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It looks like that bulkhead adapter has an O-ring to seal the cover.
As long as you use caulk around the flange and screws to seal it against the camper body, it should be rain tight.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #3

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
It looks like that bulkhead adapter has an O-ring to seal the cover.
As long as you use caulk around the flange and screws to seal it against the camper body, it should be rain tight.
No worries about it, the designer knew exactly what the intended use for it was..boats. This was designed for use in a much wetter location than our little FGRVs live in.

The cap is an integral part of a one piece, soft material that acts as the water seal behind the adapter. It is not an O-ring. You can caulk around the outside but that is not actually necessary. I use marine bedding compound on my screw threads as a standard practice. If I was using rivets I would use some proper sealant under the heads but I don't have anything mounted with rivets on the exterior of my trailer. My installation will not need to rely on caulk to keep the water out although it does not hurt anything to put some around the edges after installation. But I prefer to avoid caulk and do the job right instead of relying on it for a literal stop gap solution.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Power cord extension outlet

I too need an independent 110v outlet for my Scamp. What I did was install a ground fault 110v outlet under the side dinette seat with a black faceplate and outlet on the outside of trailer with a female plug. I carried a 25-ft 12/3 extension cord in my Scamp get away box which is handy when needed. I could plug directly into the RV park power tower or use at home. Worked great with no problems.

I would post photos but sold Scamp earlier this year.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
I've seen a few trailers where the owner installed a Marinco 30 amp socket on the body of the trailer, and terminated the power cord with the corresponding plug. These are locking connectors and are designed for marine use.

This is the male connector.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The ones rated for marine use, can be expensive. They have to keep out water when submerged.
I found a more reasonable priced bulkhead connector set at the local Menard's Store. I think the brand was Leviton.
It is "suitable for wet locations when the cover is closed".
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I used a part from Park Power. Works great. See the whole process here.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #8

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
The ones rated for marine use, can be expensive. They have to keep out water when submerged.
I found a more reasonable priced bulkhead connector set at the local Menard's Store. I think the brand was Leviton.
It is "suitable for wet locations when the cover is closed".
The item I am showing in this thread can be purchased for $9.99 online. I paid $12.00 for it at West Marine,

I think you are confusing the marine waterproof items that are used above the water line such as the electrical inlets and outlets that have water proofing caps to seal the opening with those rated as being submersible. Submersible items are used below the water line. The above the waterline items are only good for keeping things like rain, spray and such out they are not rated as submersible.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I converted a brass marine fuel inlet to a 120vac outlet and carry an extension cord and drop light. The plug runs to a 20amp switch, 20amp GFI and 20amp breaker. I can switch on/off my exterior flood light from bed, or anything else that may be hooked up to it.

Our drop light triples as a light, but zapper and a WI-FI repeater.
Attached Thumbnails
20170811_182944.jpg   20170811_183013.jpg  

20170811_194821.jpg   20170909_002440.jpg  

Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:33 PM   #10

Oregon
It is easy to find dedicated electrical inlets and dedicated electrical outlets. However my interest was to have one little "hatch" with a water tight cover for times when it is not in use that I could use for whatever purpose I wanted such as electrical power cords for whatever purpose, antenna cords, internet hookup, hose from an air compressor, exhaust blower, vacuum cleaner hose, etc.

I do have a dedicated main power inlet and also a dedicated electrical inlet up by the trailer tongue for the generator. Plus an exterior 12 volt outlet on the back wall near the door.

That is because I am not just out there on the road like most people in the forum doing only vacation camping activity, I am also going to be doing a variety of work task for generating income so versatility of function from a small hatch makes perfect sense for my needs.