Question about trickle chargers - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Question about trickle chargers

Here’s a newbie question for you: are there any trickle chargers that can be plugged into the 120 amp outlets in the Scamp rather than being hooked up directly to the battery? Or one that could be run through the 30 amp power cord that’s part of the Scamp?
sunnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:36 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
You could plug a trickle charger into one of the 120 volt outlets when the Scamp is plugged into shore power.

If you intend to use the trickle charger to charge the 12 volt battery in/on your Scamp, and if your Scamp has a built in converter, its already designed to charge the 12 volt battery when the Scamp is plugged into shore power.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Right, i have been charging the battery by plugging it into our garage electrical system while we’re not using it, but am I wrong that it’s not advisable to just leave it plugged in to “shore power” all the time? Or does the converter keep it from overcharging and i don't need a trickle charger?
Old 09-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #4

Michigan
Registry
Good question. Some converter charging circuits don't properly charge the battery and can actually damage the battery. It depends on whether the charging circuit in your Scamp's converter is a smart charger, which would be good. Also, even better, some built in smart chargers such as the Progressive Dynamics Charge Wizard also prevent battery sulfation.

You could check the brand and model number on your converter and post that information on this thread. Then others could weigh in.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Agreed .. some converters / chargers are one stage (bad) and some are mulit-stage (ranging from better to best). Details needed to reply.

But I wonder why you want a trickle charger in the first place. If you have no constant loads like a propane detector, then a fully charged battery will be fine for many months. If you do have constant loads like a propane detector, then install a master battery disconnect switch and then you wont, and the charged battery will be fine for months (and a little safer also since the camper wont have power connected). In either case just plug in the camper for 24-36 hours every 3-4 months to insure the battery is topped off. Every six months is likely fine too but I err on the side of caution.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #6

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
My '06 Scamp converter holds the battery at 13.1 volts. I keep it plugged in outside all year long in Rochester, NY. Batteries last 5 or 6 years. If your battery shows the same voltage with a meter, leaving it plugged in is the easiest way to go.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Our 2020 Scamp (just picked it up from Eveland last month) came with a built in propane/ carbon monoxide detector and a built in battery monitor. We were told during the orientation that we should remove the fuses for each of these if the camper were to go unused for awhile. (Not sure how long a while is, but the battery does noticeable lose charge if it sits for a couple weeks unused.) Rather than be removing and reinstalling the fuses, i thought i could just leave it hooked up to a trickle charger or smart charger. The converter is the factory installed one, and i would guess is not a smart one. I would have no idea how to install a cutoff switch. I guess I’m just looking for the easiest and safest way to keep the battery charged, hence the search for something that i don't have to hook up to the battery itself.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
this is the charger I use to maintain the battery on my Bronco to keep the battery maintained charged ready to go.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-959-C...05941234&psc=1
stevebaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
... Rather than be removing and reinstalling the fuses, i thought i could just leave it hooked up to a trickle charger or smart charger. The converter is the factory installed one, and i would guess is not a smart one. ..
OK I understand the issue better now. First, lets see if you have a mulit-stage (smart) charger / converter because, if you don't, that is one improvement you absolutely should make and chances are it very easy and inexpensive to do. Find your converter (under the port side rear bench?) and get the model number. Chances are that it is a Progressive Dynamics PD9100 or 9200. If its a 9200, you are good to go. If its a 9100, then you should add something called a Charge Wizard (PD9105). It plugs into the converter like your telephone cord plugs into the wall outlet but it also has a screw to hold it in. Cost is about $25. It will help your battery last much longer and it will make it safe to leave the Scamp plugged into shore power.

In the meantime pulling the fuse(s) is at least as easy as adding a trickle charger (and less expensive!). In fact you can just pull the single fuse that is (hopefully) 12 inches or so from the battery. But there might be a small spark and it will eventually wear of the contacts if you do it a lot. Thats why battery disconnect switch is better. Any RV shop, and many owners can install one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
My '06 Scamp converter holds the battery at 13.1 volts..... If your battery shows the same voltage with a meter, leaving it plugged in is the easiest way to go.
Easiest yes but voltage will vary during charging, so its a little more involved. In fact if its a four stage charger then the voltage might well be over 14 at times. Its best to make sure its a decent mulit-stage charger.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
My converter has a charger built in but I prefer to use an external ctek smart charger.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
My converter has a charger built in but I prefer to use an external ctek smart charger.
CTEK is a good brand. I have one also, and I have Anderson Power Pole connectors on the leads, and also Anderson PP Panel connector to the battery and electrical system. So I can just plug in the CTEK at the panel to charge the battery or even run the Scamp's 12 volt system with no battery (but limited to 5 amps or so). But the 7 amp version I have is still over $100... and a PD9100 with charge wizard, or a PD9200, will work just fine and not fry the battery if left on.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Thanks, Gordon. It sounds like the PD9100 with charge wizard or the PD 9200 is the kind of easy charge maintenance system I’m looking for.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #13

Wisconsin
I just checked under the back driver’s side bench of our 2020 Scamp 13, and much to my surprise, there was a PD9245C Inteli-power converter/charger w/ built-in Charge Wizard!
Thanks to all who helped, and especially to Gordon for putting me on the right track and saving me from un-needed expense!
Old 09-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
I just checked under the back driver’s side bench of our 2020 Scamp 13, and much to my surprise, there was a PD9245C Inteli-power converter/charger w/ built-in Charge Wizard!
Thanks to all who helped, and especially to Gordon for putting me on the right track and saving me from un-needed expense!
Nice.. thats a lot better than the PD9100 that Scamp put in my rig in 2015.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #15

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
super awesome, enjoy your new Scamp!
Old 09-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #16

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Check the water/acid level every once in a while.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:15 AM   #17

Wisconsin
����
Old 10-01-2020, 07:28 PM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Check the water/acid level every once in a while.
Quote:
����
If the ? is in reply to dmad, then you need to do some homework on battery maintenance. Start with this: The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

For non-sealed lead acid batteries you need to check the levels once in a while (more often in hot weather), and add distilled water when needed.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #19

Wisconsin
For some strange reason, the question marks came up when I tried to post a thumbs up emoji in reply to dmad1. I tried to edit my post, but the edit didn't go through. Between learning about my Scamp and learning about the forum, not to mention the pandemic, economic woes, social unrest, and crazy election year, I think my brain is overloaded.
But thank you for that clarification. I did read the 12 Volt Side of Life - talk about brain overload! (I would post a wacky emoji here if I thought it would work.)