Question on use of float charger and solar panel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Question on use of float charger and solar panel

Hi I think its okay, but want to be sure, so I have a couple of questions.
I have a 100w flexible solar panel on the roof of my Scamp, and a controller inside that connects to the battery. When my trailer is not in use I cover it with a cover (type that is sold on Ebay). Of course this then covers up the solar panel so I assume there is no charge (or do some rays filter through the cover??). Can I attach a float charger with the controller still connected, or is it better to disconnect the controller while using the float charger.

Another question: Has anyone cut a hole in the cover around their solar panel area and patched in a piece of clear vinyl, to allow sun to continue to charge the trailer while it is stored? Or could the vinyl's direct contact with the solar panel, do damage to the panel--perhaps intense heat caused by vinyl over the panel???

Thanks in advance for your help.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You are OK to just connect the float charger directly to the battery with the charge controller in place. I have the same cover and I would not consider cutting a hole in it for the solar panel. Before I did that, I'd stick a small solar charger somewhere that it could get sun and connect that to the battery directly.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Thanks once again for the info Tom. Makes it easier than disconnecting controller each time I store it.
Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Thanks once again for the info Tom. Makes it easier than disconnecting controller each time I store it.
Linda
Surprisingly you can hook up the solar controller, a 110 volt converter and your tow tug to the battery at the same time and it all works out.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
I have a CalMark cover and my 95W panel manages a small charge through the cover material. CalMark once sold their covers with cut-out panels for clear plastic, but discontinued offering it as an option. I think it had less to do with damage to the solar panel than with the difficulties the end users had in installing and/or replacing the clear plastic.

Tags
solar, solar panel