Remove Refrigerator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Burro, HELIO
Washington
Registry
Remove Refrigerator

Does anyone know how to remove a refrigerator from the Burro? I have a 1983 Burro with a Dometic 201 fridge that I want to remove. It's EXTREMELY heavy and it looks like it's lost its refrigerant and it's all rusted on the bottom. I removed the set screws from around the flanges but I can't pull it out. Is it attached from the bottom somehow? If so, how do I access those attachment points to remove this son of a gun? I just bought one of those new koolest Coolers that are due to be released in Feb 2015 and I'm going to replace this fridge with the kooler.
Any idea?
John Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
You will have to open the bottom exterior vent. Propane, 12VDC, and 120VAC will have to be disconnected before it will pull out. There may also be some more screws holding it down.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Over on Scampers group, there's been some discussion about not being able to get fridges out through the Scamp door! Some say it was put in through the back window w/o the frame; some say remove the fridge door; some say you have to take the back cooling coils loose; some say to trim the wood (screen door frame) around the door...yada yada... Yikes!

If mine ever quits, I want to replace it with the small Wally-World "compressor" types. I dont boondock and if I do it's with a gen. I would miss the on-road 12v capability of my current 1.9 Dometic though. It works wonderfully with NO issues on running the battery down...even if left plugged in while stopping to eat. You just need to remember to switch it over to ac or propane when you're camping.

Darral
Darral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
You will have to open the bottom exterior vent. Propane, 12VDC, and 120VAC will have to be disconnected before it will pull out. There may also be some more screws holding it down.
In addition to the above, there may be caulking around the front to seal the living area of your trailer from a possible propane leak. Use a putty knife to check. It's best to have someone outside pushing and someone pulling from inside.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #5

Washington
Registry
Removing the Refrigerator from a Burro

Many thanks to everyone who responded. I did disconnect the LP and the 112V and 110V connections and with a few mighty HEAVE HOS, I was able to extricate the refrigerator. The bottom was all rusted out and boy was it HEAVY! No need to be pulling all of that weight down the road for a very little value proposition in return. Instead, I've purchased one of those COOLEST COOLERS that will be out in Feb 2015. It has a built in Bluetooth speaker, a USB port. a built in 12V battery to power LED lights and a blender! It also provides more room than the refrigerator for keeping food cold. I think repacking a cooler with ice every day is easier than messing with the refrigerator. One less device to worry about. Plus, I discarded a lot of unnecessary weight. When I finish my restore I'll post pictures! This group is great!!!! Many thanks to all of you, this is a great example of collaboration.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I removed a fridge from a Bigfoot 5th wheel years back. Had to remove the door and the controls on the bottom of the fridge. The fridge then was had 1/2 inch on each side of the door to remove. The new fridge was narrower and went in without problems.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
Thanks Again!

This forum is so incredibly helpful. It's an extension to my toolkit to have all of these people with so much experience contributing to my restoration project! How cool is this. I just wanted to take a moment to thank the entire community for excellent collaboration and cooperation.

BTW- I saw an egg design that I really like. The seam is in the middle of the vehicle with a ridged cap system that lets water flow over the seam. What a brilliant idea to put the seam there instead of the roof where it's largely inaccessible.

Does anyone have any tips on servicing the roof of your RV? For starters, how do you get up there since you can't put any weight on the top of the Burro?

Everyone enjoy Labor Day Weekend 2014.
Stay healthy, happy, and think positive thoughts!

John

Tags
refrigerator