Repair/Replace 30 amp electrical cord on Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

Name: Darilyn
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Repair/Replace 30 amp electrical cord on Scamp

HELP! En route to our campground this weekend, the 30 amp electrical cord (to plug into and charge & run the fluorescent lights and fans) came loose and drug on the road and wore away the prongs of the plug and some of the plastic. I also lost the 15 amp adapter. I would SO appreciate and guidance /suggestions on how to go about fixing/replacing this and where to get supplies. Everyone on here is so helpful & knowledgable. Thanks in advance.
Lady Darilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Walmart sells power cords and adapters.
We run everything off a 12 Gauge Extension cord.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
You could
1) just replace power cord end (any home center, hardware store)
2) replace whole cord and molded end (all 20 odd feet of it) again, (hardware store, home centers)
if your not comfortable doing any of this (involves stripping wire, getting right colored wire on right screw terminal and or running wire to your breaker box and connecting correctly there) find someone who has done this before (electrician, handyman) as unsatisfactory results could be shocking to say the least!!
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
where are you located in Pennsylvania, maybe I can help? are you referring to the cable that plugs into your tow vehicle or the cable that hooks up to the cg electric?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
where are you located in Pennsylvania, maybe I can help? are you referring to the cable that plugs into your tow vehicle or the cable that hooks up to the cg electric?
Hiya! I'm in Norristown. Where are you? I'm talking bout the one that plugs into cg electric.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Darilyn, it's an easy fix and don't think that you're the only one that has ever dragged a connector or something.......we all have done something like that at one time or another and don't want to own up to it . Maybe not an electrical connection but maybe the tongue jack not up all the way, stabilizer jack down ect, things happen and you learn by them.
A good friend of mine borrowed a utility trailer from me 25 yrs ago for a camping trip. Everything turned out fine but a few months later he told me with a red face that he had towed it back home, 150 miles, and had not latched the ball to the coupler, chains and lights were. We were both glad that he had plenty of tongue weight that kept it from bouncing off. I can only imagine how his knees felt when he went to disconnect it at home and saw that. A lesson learned, no harm, no foul
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm about 90 miles away, in York,Pa. Here is what you can use, Amazon.com: Camco 55283 30 AMP Mini Replacement Male Plug with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive
easy replacement. The adapter is here Amazon.com: Conntek 15 Amp Male Plug To 30 Amp RV Female Connector RV Adapter: Sports & Outdoors
simple to replace. Let us know if you need further help.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Power cords in the US are made according to NEC/ NEMA standards with a color code --3 wire cord has black, white , & green conductors . Black=Hot Conductor, White = neutral, grounded or identified conductor, and green = equipment ground or grounding conductor . The male cord cap terminals are also color coded --Brass colored screw = Hot -- White or Silver colored screw = neutral & Green colored screw = Equipment Ground . There is a gauge molded into most cord caps which tell you how far to strip the wires and the outer cord jacket . The cord cap strain relief should clamp down on the outer cable jacket and not on the individual circuit conductors
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Darwin, Hambone, CPAharley, and Steve - Thank you SO much for your responses! Your advice and suggestions are duly noted and the information you provided will be passed on to my Dad (ie my electrician-on-call). He knows his wiring but the FGRV world is foreign so he, too, will appreciate these insights. Thanks again. I knew I could count on this board to lead me in the right direction. I'll keep you all posted and hope to cross paths with you at a rally someday - fully charged! Happy Camping!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Oh, and Borrego Dave, too!
Old 05-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Repair/Replace 30 amp electrical cord on Scamp

The other option you have is to install a outlet and have a removable cord.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1400181258.993630.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	71075

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1400181275.635059.jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	71076

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1400181302.506261.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	71077

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1400181320.909473.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	71078
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
That's a great idea, Jared! I didn't even know you could do that. Probably makes more space in the storage compartment, too. I will definitely look into that!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is the link to the kit Amazon.com: ParkPower by Marinco 30ARVKIT RV Detachable Power Conversion Kit (30-Amp): Sports & Outdoors
Old 05-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Darilyn View Post
That's a great idea, Jared! I didn't even know you could do that. Probably makes more space in the storage compartment, too. I will definitely look into that!
Yup but either way you will need to take up space someplace to store it & a way not to mention not to forget it at home
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #15

NW Wisconsin
Bad Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup but either way you will need to take up space someplace to store it & a way not to mention not to forget it at home
I have gone camping with several individuals and on several occasions, that upon arrival at the campgrounds discovered that they had left their power cord sitting at home. The more things I have to remember to bring ,the more things I tend to forget
Old 05-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have gone camping with several individuals and on several occasions, that upon arrival at the campgrounds discovered that they had left their power cord sitting at home. The more things I have to remember to bring ,the more things I tend to forget
LOL yup its the #1 reason that everything I need for camping stays in the trailer when its parked at home.... only need to add clothing and food.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We USED to be of the opinion, pack two of everything in case someone else forgets some thing...

Now, (lighten the load/weight), pack for solo crusin....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #18

NW Wisconsin
Clothes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL yup its the #1 reason that everything I need for camping stays in the trailer when its parked at home.... only need to add clothing and food.
We don't even take the clothes out when the trailer is parked . I keep a couple pairs of socks ,underwear ,T shirts , shorts , a pair of jeans, a sweatshirt , and a shirt in a plastic tub under the bed . Stays in the trailer all summer except to wash or wear. For a 2 or 3 day trip. all we need to do is load the refrigerator and go. Remember In Wisconsin "Plaid" is acceptable / norm in all social settings or occasions so packing clothes for a trip is really easy
Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Mager View Post
We USED to be of the opinion, pack two of everything in case someone else forgets some thing...

Now, (lighten the load/weight), pack for solo crusin....
Yep, I have not even been camping in my old Scamp yet and have already decided to leave some heavy extra cords at home. The Boy Scout in me said to pack everything, until sense prevailed. I just happened to pick up three 25’ 30amp RV extension cords cheap at a flea market several years ago. Fast forward to this year and me finally buying a 30amp plugged RV. Great I think, I will pack these in the trailer (in case I am a 100’ from the pole I suppose). Hummm, what are the chances of being 100’ from the power in a State Campground? So, I will pack ONE extra 25’ 30 amp cord, if I end up more than 50 feet from the pole I will scoot the Scamp a little closer.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #20

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My rule when taking down camp is whatever you remove, immediately goes in the trailer. That way, nothing gets lost. There's no point removing things, setting them down outside, and *hopefully* loading them later.

When I unplug the cord, it stays in my hand until it's back in its cabinet.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, scamp