Replacement battery for 2015 Casita SD17? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2021, 09:52 AM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Replacement battery for 2015 Casita SD17?

My original battery is super-dead, and I need to get a new one. I will be able to monitor the new one's power level, and re-charge it as needed. I believe the existing one is a "SRM-27 12V Interstate Deep Cell Marine battery". Ideally, I could get one that is zero-maintenance, so I don't have to add water to it. I don't think I need a super-battery, I just need it to work and not cause problems. It looks like the Casita has a small battery compartment, and you have to make sure the new one will fit. Any battery suggestions that are known to work?

Is this the one I need: https://www.amazon.com/Interstate-Ba.../dp/B00YB26RYG
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Your battery is group size 27, the one on the link looks like group size 31, it may not fit to the existing battery box.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #3

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Your battery is group size 27, the one on the link looks like group size 31, it may not fit to the existing battery box.

Where is the Group Size? I still don't see it on the product page.

This VMAX weighs 70lbs: https://www.amazon.com/VMAX-XTR27-11.../dp/B072QTMVRT
Old 01-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #4

SW Florida
Check your battery box internal dimensions and compare with the size provided on the product page.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Battery replacement

I took my old battery and a tape measure into O'Reilly's Auto Parts and was able to find a Group 31 Marine sealed lead acid battery that fit with a couple of adjustments.

The group 31 battery is a bit longer so I had to re drill the battery tiedown bolt holes about an inch farther out.

The battery case top has a taper. It's higher by the battery door than it is far inside. So I had to cut a half inch off the battery inside post to get it all the way in without rubbing on the top of the battery case.

This has been a good investment. With our use we have plenty of power left in the morning. Our solar system recharges the battery by noun.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've used flooded lead acid batteries successfully in my trailers for 40 years and more recently AGM. FLA batteries require addition of distilled water on a regular basis. AGM batteries are sealed and aren't suppose to need water however over time, may dehydrate somewhat. I've gotten up to 10 years from a well maintained FLA. I've added small amounts of water to the AGM which is now 6 years old and still has over 90% of original capacity.
I have found a difference between the RV deep cycle batteries and the RV/Marine deep cycle batteries. The RV deep cycle battery is designed specifically for that application, low drain over a long period of time. The RV/Marine battery seems to be a cross between an automotive battery and an RV deep cycle battery. I have found that RV/Marine batteries can supply power at a higher rate but don't tolerate deep discharge as well.
For many years I carried two group 27 FLA batteries and switched them out prior to 50% discharge and recharged when I got back home. Now that I've switched to solar my batteries never go below 75% charge and recharge as soon as the sun comes up.
The next time I need batteries I'm considering Lithium. I boondock a lot and don't like to leave batteries on the tongue of my unit unattended. FLA produce hydrogen gas and are not suitable for inside application. AGM can be located inside however the power density of lithium is impressive. I prefer to have a battery capacity at least two to four times my anticipated daily consumption.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is the battery compartment sealed from the interior? Is there enough room in the battery compartment for a slide-out tray? Is there a vent in the exterior hatch door? I’ve seen Casitas with both, and they make use and maintenance of a flooded lead-acid battery a piece of cake.

With AGM you’re paying a high price for convenience with little or no gain in function. And there’s this. If you make a mistake or life gets in the way and you accidentally kill your battery- it’s happened to better people than me- it’s a whole lot less painful to start over with FLA.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #8

SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
With AGM you’re paying a high price for convenience with little or no gain in function.

AGM batteries tolerate more charge/discharge cycles than FLA. You get longer battery life (if you will not kill it) :-)
Old 01-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The original Interstate battery in our 2013 Casita failed after 14 months (Shorted Cell) We replaced it with a $78 Walmart special which lasted 5 years
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
AGM batteries tolerate more charge/discharge cycles than FLA. You get longer battery life (if you will not kill it) :-)
True, that’s why I said “little or no.” There are a lot of variables, including how much the RV is used, how often and what type of recharging is applied, and how deeply it gets discharged in between.

Occasional, light users will likely see no practical benefit of AGM (other than convenience where battery access and/or venting is difficult). Frequent, heavy users might get a little longer life from AGM, but it won’t come close to recouping the extra cost, and they’d probably be better served by lithium.

I converted our other RV from AGM to FLA at a third the cost. They’re working fine for our occasional light use, and maintenance is less than an hour to pull and water once a year. And yes, my goal is not to kill them!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #11

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoepner View Post
I took my old battery and a tape measure into O'Reilly's Auto Parts and was able to find a Group 31 Marine sealed lead acid battery that fit with a couple of adjustments.

The group 31 battery is a bit longer so I had to re drill the battery tiedown bolt holes about an inch farther out.

The battery case top has a taper. It's higher by the battery door than it is far inside. So I had to cut a half inch off the battery inside post to get it all the way in without rubbing on the top of the battery case.

This has been a good investment. With our use we have plenty of power left in the morning. Our solar system recharges the battery by noun.
:

When we purchased our 17' Casita ten years ago it had a rebuilt title, with no battery. We'd already owned about 8-10 campers previously and knew a series 31 batttery was far superior to a series 27. I also saw that the battery location made it hard to check the fluid levels in the battery, so we wanted AGM, not standard flooded.

Like you, I found an AGM that would fit in the compartment if I just cut off the inside battery post. This battery also had a place to bolt the cable rather than using the post. After cutting off the post and installing the cable I pushed the battery in and, like you, had to drill the battery slide bolt for it's new location.

In 2004, when we purchased our 2003 Odyssey to pull our 2000 Scamp 16' side bath, I installed an 8 or 10 gauge wire (I don't remember ) from the Odyssey battery to the camper converter, using an Anderson Power Pole for the connection. I did the same for the Casita. Both the batteries in the Scamp and the Casita charged quickly traveling down the road.

Another advantage of AGM vs Flooded is you don't have to worry about corrosion on the posts.

That AGM was still going strong five years later when we sold the Casita.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #12

Iowa
Replacing the battery is on hold until I get the sink faucet fixed. Once the faucet is replaced, I can test my new water heater anode using shore-power, and make sure it works before attaching a new battery. I really don't want to modify the battery compartment, so I may just get an exact replacement so I know it will fit.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:24 PM   #13

Name: Ken
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Battery replacement considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
My original battery is super-dead, and I need to get a new one. I will be able to monitor the new one's power level, and re-charge it as needed. I believe the existing one is a "SRM-27 12V Interstate Deep Cell Marine battery". Ideally, I could get one that is zero-maintenance, so I don't have to add water to it. I don't think I need a super-battery, I just need it to work and not cause problems. It looks like the Casita has a small battery compartment, and you have to make sure the new one will fit. Any battery suggestions that are known to work?

Is this the one I need: https://www.amazon.com/Interstate-Ba.../dp/B00YB26RYG
I have run both boat and RV deep cycle batteries 30 plus years. There are pros and cons to Lead Acid and AGM batteries, cost being only one of them. I had to replace a AGM sealed battery with a lead acid (FLA) battery when on a long trip and went for the cheap battery. About a year later our gas detector in the fifth wheel went off in the middle of the night and I could not find a gas leak - and yes I had false alarms from time to time but it would not be silenced this time. While walking around the trailer checking each compartment, I could not keep my hand on the battery compartment door it was so hot. With hot pads from the kitchen, I managed to get it out of the compartment, disconnect it, and get on the ground some distance from the trailer. Apparantly the battery shorted out inside and was giving off gas that set off the gas detector. Luckily for me it did not explode while I was getting it out of the trailer. I hate to admit it, but I have become lax over the years and have continued to use FLA batteries that came with a new boat and also a tongue pull trailer. Thanks for reminding me about battery selection, I will see if I can submit a change order for the Casita I have on order to include an AGM battery.
KenMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:34 PM   #14

Texas
Battery replacement considerations

I have run both boat and RV deep cycle batteries 30 plus years. There are pros and cons to Lead Acid and AGM batteries, cost being only one of them. I had to replace a AGM sealed battery with a lead acid (FLA) battery when on a long trip and went for the cheap battery. About a year later our gas detector in the fifth wheel went off in the middle of the night and I could not find a gas leak - and yes I had false alarms from time to time but it would not be silenced this time. While walking around the trailer checking each compartment, I could not keep my hand on the battery compartment door it was so hot. With hot pads from the kitchen, I managed to get it out of the compartment, disconnect it, and get on the ground some distance from the trailer. Apparantly the battery shorted out inside and was giving off gas that set off the gas detector. Luckily for me it did not explode while I was getting it out of the trailer. I hate to admit it, but I have become lax over the years and have continued to use FLA batteries that came with a new boat and also a tongue pull trailer. Thanks for reminding me about battery selection, I will see if I can submit a change order for the Casita I have on order to include an AGM battery.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #15

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMorris View Post

Do you know what brand and model of AGM battery Casita uses? I wonder if it will fit in a 2015 SD17.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:24 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I have mixed feelings about AGM batteries. The reviews are generally good. I have a 3 year old deep discharge which has been maintained by solar and never goes below 75%. So far so good but it seems to discharge faster than a FLA.
About 10 years ago I bought an Optima Red Top for my Vette. Even when new it didn't crank the engine very fast. The original battery put out over 14 volts, the AGM put out just over 13 volts. The Agm started my car this morning.
It seems that the power density of an AGM is lower than an FLA? Not sure how other users rate these batteries?
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #17

Texas
Quote:
Do you know what brand and model of AGM battery Casita uses? I wonder if it will fit in a 2015 SD17.
Sorry, I do not know what Casita AGM upgrade is about yet. I will have to find out and compare it to other options.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #18

Iowa
To what level do you charge the battery? I ran my Honda EU 2000i generator for about 7 hours to charge my relatively new replacement battery. It is up to 12.79 when I stop the generator and measure it with a little 12v battery checker.

I read it can take 2 days to charge a battery plugged in to your home outlet, I have not done that yet (will soon though). I guess it would take 2 days on the generator, too, if not longer. My new battery is

DieHard Silver
Deep Cycle Marine
600 Cold Cranking Amps
750 Marine Cranking Amps at 32F
160 Reserve Capacity
Part Number 27DC-2
Old 04-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
To what level do you charge the battery? ...
Start here.. The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:32 PM   #20

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

What level do you charge your battery to?

Tags
battery, casita