Replacement of Allanson 120V/ 20AMP Power Converter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #1

Name: erik
Trailer: Bigfoot 1986-17' ft. delux
British Columbia
Replacement of Allanson 120V/ 20AMP Power Converter

Hi all,

It's that time again, Update and upgrade time between camping weekends. our 1986 Bigfoot has been updated with a 190w GO Power Solar System which seems to work great for charging when only using the solar system and battery! But When the optional Plug into to shore charging happens the Solar controller is thrown into Error mode. Between trouble shooting, you tubing and finally bringing my camper back to the installer (I couldn't find the time to do the full install myself) we figured out the power converter would work with solar and shore separately being connected to the power converter, but not while connected to the power converter at the same time.

Existing Components:

as per the thread name, the OG power converter/ fuse panel is a Allanson 120v, 3.6 Amp, 60 Hz, with a total output of 20 amps.

Solar:

GO Power 190w Overlander Solar Charging System w/ Go Power PWM controller/ fuse etc. (no inverter and fancier solar components yet)

Battery: Costco (kirkland) special AGM

Wanted:

It appears after a basic solar sizing worksheet looking into the future we will be looking @ approx. 70 amps per day of amperage usage at the most.

I was thinking of removing the AGM battery and switching to a 12 V Lithium Ion setup.

which is expensive @ first but makes sense in the long run! and is not too far off of using 2 6v in parell agms.

Question:

What Power Converter would harness a great result for me and be safe but not over the top expensive and What lithium ion batteries would you suggest? I was thinking 2- 12v- 40AH batteries or 1- 12v- 100AH battery.
Has anyone re-used used Li medical batteries? I've see these at less cost and heard when they are from medical facilities they can only use them until they are only able to hold a % of charge (like 90%- which would be fine in my instance).
Any preferences or suggestions? I would end up locating them adjacent the Power converter/ electrical panel under one of the seats and not on the trailer tongue.

Thanks,
erikg is offline   Reply With Quote