Replacing Fluorescent Light with Double Dome Light in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #1

Name: Adam
Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Replacing Fluorescent Light with Double Dome Light in Scamp

Hi everyone. I'm replacing the fluorescent light in my 1988 13' Scamp with the double dome light that Scamp sells. I have two questions:

First, I believe the original fluorescent light was 110V, correct? How do I drop this circuit down to 12V? I wired up the new double dome light, turned it on and blew both the bulbs, yikes!

Second, I see that Scamp installs the double dome light under the cabinet. I was going to do the same by running the original wiring up into the cabinet. I'm wondering, how does Scamp hide the wiring within the cabinet? Is there some sort of small cover that goes over everything?

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!
mnimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:51 AM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Scamp 110 VAC cabinet light wiring

The 110VAC light in the cabinet over the dinette has 110 wiring coming in the back right rear of the cabinet behind a piece of plastic and runs along the front inside of the cabinet and is covered with a tape. I believe Wiring is run before the wall covering is put on and if you feel carefully near any other 110 user you can feel the flat romex under the wall coverings. I can trace my AC wiring up the wall and across the ceiling by touch.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would unhook the wiring to the flourescent light from the MAIN box! (with the electricity unplugged of course!) On my 13'er, right next to the sink cabinet is my panel which has all the 12v fuses in there as well. I'd run a wire up to the cabinets for the 12v. You could use the 115v wire, but you'll have to be careful and possibly use a smaller wire into the fuse box then wire-nut it to the 110 wire. Something I would NOT recommend if you dont have any electrical experience!!

Then again, if you have a dome light already attached to the outside of the cabinet in that area, you could EASILY tie into the existing 12v wires there with LED-ONLY lights!! That would be my strongest suggestion.

I'll NEVER understand why Scamp (at least on my 13' Scamp) mounted the flourescent light TO THE WALL and of course...more rivets to the outside!! All they had to do was rotate it 90 deg and attach it to the cabinet!! Wow.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #4

Name: Adam
Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Thanks

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll go with tieing it into the existing 12V dome lights, I called Scamp and that is what they recommended as well. I suppose maybe a piece of conduit or a folded piece of aluminum flashing will cover and protect the wires.
mnimz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, scamp