Replacing fluorescent strip light - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Replacing fluorescent strip light

I have a wired-in, fluorescent fixture, about two feet long, mounted vertically, in my Campster. It has a switch on the fixture (hard to work.) I'd really like to replace it with something else but it has to be able to turn on and off at the fixture as there isn't a wall switch. (I don't know if the previous owner took a corded fixture and wired it in, but I've only seen on-off switches on corded fixtures.)

Any ideas what might work? And anything I should know about doing it? I've wired in light fixtures but not fluorescent ones. The Campster has these lights on both of the bulkheads but I only use one of them. And I use it sparingly as my dog has epilepsy so I'm wary of fluorescent lighting.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
WE replaced our's with an LED strip with switch that mounted to the bottom of a cabinet. It was purchased on Amazon. We now have only LEDS.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #3

Registry
Was that a wired-in strip, Norm? I looked at an LED strip on Amazon but only saw corded ones with switches.

I guess I could wire in a corded one by cutting off or removing the cord.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Sounds like an PO thing. As far as I know Scamp does NOT mount a fluorescent fixture vertically. Also the fluorescent fixture Scamp puts in is above the sink and 12" fixture horizontally mounted.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #5

Florida
Byron,
I think our Scamp is layout 4. Counters on both sides, one with the sink and one with the stove. It's really a counter intensive Scamp.

Our florescent was mounted horizontally over the counter to the left of the stove. I disconnected the AC and removed it from it's two screw caps and tucked the wires under the marine fabric.

The LED strip has a screw at each end for mounting. I drilled two holes thru the bottom of the cabinet for the screws. I also made a hole for the wires from the switch mounted on the end of the LED strip. I led them across the floor of the cabinet and picked up power from the 12 volt light near the LED strip.

Most of the trailer were wired for incandescent bulbs that each typically draw 2 amps. In our trailer we have all LEDs so these wires have plenty of capacity and can easily handle the addition of an LED strip.

The following is a link to what we bought. LED products keep improving so I don't know if this is now the best choice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #6

Florida
Bobbie.

I know nothing about your trailer, the layout or availability of 12 volts. Here's another Amazon more recent choice. Note that the earlier post of an example and this one are priced less than I paid, the general cost direction of LEDs. It looks like this one mounts in a similar fashion.

LED Bar Light - Heavy Duty, Water resistant 12 Volt DC LED courtesy convenience lamp, Warm White LEDs, 8" length - Vanity Lighting Fixtures - Amazon.com

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #7

Registry
This is a 110 fixture. There are also 12V fluorescent fixtures but as I'm not currently using any 12V I haven't done anything with them (they are the only thing in the trailer that would use a battery.)

I'm sure they are PO additions as the Coleman lamp seems to be the original.

I'd like to replace that, too, but haven't gotten around to having it done (not comfortable with sleeping in a space that I plumbed for propane.)(I am comfortable with my own electrical as long as I know what I'm doing but not so sure I want to do anything beyond simply disconnecting one fixture and mounting another.)
Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

Registry
I'd really just as soon put up an incandescent fixture and use an LED bulb. But same problem- finding controls on the fixture if it is meant to be wired in.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I replaced my horizontal florescent fixture with a 120 volt LED strip under the over head cabinets it has its own built in rocker switch. I then put a paper towel holder in place of the florescent light fixture.

NON LED countertop light - IKEA

I actually used 2 of them and put them under the overhead cabinets and stuck them in place with 3m high bond mounting tape.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #10

Registry
Those are corded. Is it as simple as cutting off the cord and wiring it to the existing wires?
Old 07-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I replaced my horizontal florescent fixture with a 120 volt LED strip under the over head cabinets it has its own built in rocker switch. I then put a paper towel holder in place of the florescent light fixture.

NON LED countertop light - IKEA

I actually used 2 of them and put them under the overhead cabinets and stuck them in place with 3m high bond mounting tape.
If those are anything like mine you can open them up and the electric cord is just attached to the wiring of the light with wire nuts. Probably find the existing light is the same with it's attachment to the trailer wiring.

Remove wire nuts from inside existing light, connect the trailer wires to replace the electric cord in the new with it's wire nuts and it's done.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:14 PM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
120V under counter fluorescent light fixtures with built in switches grow on trees and are available at any Home Center worth its' salt. The smaller ones usually come with a cord but either version should work for your situation. Just tuck the cord back under the fixture, cut off the plug and wire nut it to the existing wires.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Byron,
I think our Scamp is layout 4. Counters on both sides, one with the sink and one with the stove. It's really a counter intensive Scamp.

Our florescent was mounted horizontally over the counter to the left of the stove. I disconnected the AC and removed it from it's two screw caps and tucked the wires under the marine fabric.

The LED strip has a screw at each end for mounting. I drilled two holes thru the bottom of the cabinet for the screws. I also made a hole for the wires from the switch mounted on the end of the LED strip. I led them across the floor of the cabinet and picked up power from the 12 volt light near the LED strip.

Most of the trailer were wired for incandescent bulbs that each typically draw 2 amps. In our trailer we have all LEDs so these wires have plenty of capacity and can easily handle the addition of an LED strip.

The following is a link to what we bought. LED products keep improving so I don't know if this is now the best choice.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm sorry, Bobbie doesn't have a Scamp of any size.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
120V under counter fluorescent light fixtures with built in switches grow on trees and are available at any Home Center worth its' salt. The smaller ones usually come with a cord but either version should work for your situation. Just tuck the cord back under the fixture, cut off the plug and wire nut it to the existing wires.
I don't want fluorescent- but I can probably do this with a corded LED type, too.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Both under counter fluorescent and LED light fixtures usually have ko' s built in for mounting a switch . Otherwise you can drill a 3/8 " hole and mount your own switch .The least expensive route is to buy a cord fed light fixture with a switch and just remove the cord
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #16

Registry
I do have an outlet right below the light- so I could just cap off the old electric and use a cord- though I'll have to look at how to do that safely. Maybe I'll go up to Home Depot and browse and figure out what's available.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Michigan
When we went to Backus last January to ck out the 13's and order ours, I asked about the fluorescent light fixture over the sink / stove. The new Scamps didn't have them. Our salesman informed us they are no longer offered. I asked why, and he told us they weren't worth the all the problems associated with them.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light