RV porch light switches - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
RV porch light switches

are *ALL* of the common RV porch lights, like used on Casita and Escape (and most every other RV I've seen) flakey with a couple years of age?

both my Casita and Escape have a flakey switch. if I've not used th elight for awhile, I have to 'flick' that switch a dozen times before the light comes on. I squirted some DeOxit D5 on/into my Casita's switch and it worked better for a few months, but its back to just as flakey.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've had mine for about 12 years and no problems with the switch.

Many years ago I saw a relay filled with ants that stopped it from working. I believe it had been someplace in the south, maybe even southern California.

Spiders can also wreck havoc with electrical switches.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Original 40 year old porch switch in my Trillium 4500. The ON and OFF lettering is partly worn off. It is a panel mount, snap in and out, so easy to replace.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #4

Mid Left Coast
my 2 samples are from 2008 and 2014, and they both look the following...

if I've not used them for a few weeks, just switching them on, nada. I hold one finger lightly on the 'on' side, and use another finger (other hand) to repeatedly flick the off side so the first finger acts as a spring and hammers the 'on' side until they light. half dozen of these, then the switch starts working again.

on the escape, there's an indoor switch also, so if I leave the outdoor switch on, and use the indoor switch, I've not had any issues yet.

btw, both of mine have an amber/yellow LED in them. Maybe its the much lower current of the LED (probably 80mA for about 1 watt?) thats exasperating the problem, the standard bulb is likely 1 amp or so.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Open them up and put a little dialectric grease on them, they will work fine.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Open them up and put a little dialectric grease on them, they will work fine.

Dialectric grease does not conduct electricity. It is an insulator meant to be used on the rubber boot of a spark plug to keep water and debris out.
I use electrical contact cleaner in a spray can for problem contacts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silico...lectric_grease
Old 06-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Both our Scamp's and this Parkliner's porch light switches have gotten hard to turn on. But once on made good contact. Turning them off is easy.
A squirt of WD40 seemed to help.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Replacement switches are pretty inexpensive. If you want an interesting project, replace the switch with a Single Pole, Double Throw, add an interior SPDT switch & wiring, and you will be able to turn on & off the light from either inside or outside.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Here's a picture to visualize what Jon said.
Attached Thumbnails
3-way (2).jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #10

Mid Left Coast
on the escape, I'm very tempted to bypass the switch on the light, and just use the doorjam switch, its only a couple feet away.

on the casita, well, we're selling that
Old 06-22-2018, 06:17 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New York
2017 Scamp Porch Light

I was hoping to respond to a previous thread, not to start a new one. That said, the problem I have is getting water inside the porch light. This happens even if the Scamp 13 is just sitting on my driveway and there is a moderate rain. I'm sure that eventually I will have a problem with the switch. Any suggestions on what to use to get a better seal around the switch are more than welcome.
Bob Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #12

Michigan
Registry
John in Santa Cruz, another option is to replace your porch light with an identical porch light WITHOUT the switch. I found the switchless version of the porch lights available at etrailer and also at delcity:

https://www.delcity.net/store/Utilit...iABEgKzS_D_BwE
Old 06-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Greene View Post
I was hoping to respond to a previous thread, not to start a new one. That said, the problem I have is getting water inside the porch light. This happens even if the Scamp 13 is just sitting on my driveway and there is a moderate rain. I'm sure that eventually I will have a problem with the switch. Any suggestions on what to use to get a better seal around the switch are more than welcome.
While it might be the switch that is leaking, it is more likely the lens, or condensation. I drilled a drain hole in the bottom of mine, which seemed to help.

As to adding the 3 way rather than using the door switch, in my 2011 17, no door switches, and I wanted to be able to turn it on from the bed.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #14

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Greene View Post
Re-install the fixture after covering the backside with butyl tape OR seal the top and side edges with polyurethane sealant
Old 06-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #15

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
As to adding the 3 way rather than using the door switch, in my 2011 17, no door switches, and I wanted to be able to turn it on from the bed.
I also completely removed the switch in my porch light and filled in the switch hole with white marine grade sealant. The ONLY switch to turn it on or off is now located inside my entry "hallway" where only I, and not someone outside, can turn it on or off. After all, why would anyone want a porch light with an outside switch? If some unknown stranger is knocking on your trailer door at night, are you really going to open the door to reach outside to turn on the light? Do you have to go outside to turn your porch light on in your home? To me it makes no sense and could be dangerous. I want total control over my porch light, not someone outside.
Attached Thumbnails
casita1 003.jpg   casita1 004.jpg  

Old 06-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Dielectric grease is used on insulators, yes, but it also prevents switch contacts from corroding and failing. Say what you may, I have been using it for over 40 years with no problems and good results. If the light switch contact is cleaned a little with sand paper and dielectric grease or lithium grease is applied there will be no more problems!!
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #17

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Dielectric grease is used on insulators, yes, but it also prevents switch contacts from corroding and failing. Say what you may, I have been using it for over 40 years with no problems and good results. If the light switch contact is cleaned a little with sand paper and dielectric grease or lithium grease is applied there will be no more problems!!
The problem with using dielectric grease, or any other "coating" lubricant, is that the swipe contacts on the switch would have to push the grease out of the way and off the contact surfaces to make an electrical connection. These little RV light switches are so cheesy and weak, it would be debatable as to whether they had sufficient spring strength to do it. We're not talking "heavy duty" equipment here.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:13 PM   #18

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
The best contact cleaner for small electronics is DeoxIT. Fairly expensive for the cheap switches in these lights.

DeoxIT® D-Series - Contact Cleaner & Rejuvenator
ldsharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, porch light