RV Solar Calculator - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 06:14 PM   #121

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
A park worker came by and I flagged her down for a jump. "We are forbidden to give jump starts, but I can call AAA for you if you'd like" This, as her truck sat next to mine idling. ...
We were told not to jump off other vehicles from the city police cars... apparently all the added electronics, computer, etc. didnt always survive the jump start. Maybe she was under similar instructions.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:20 PM   #122

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Liability is a tricky thing. Any time I've worked for the government there's been a policy that you can't let anyone ride in the truck who isn't a government employee, there for official business, or a volunteer. As the person said in your case, we could call a tow truck, sit with them, whatever. But we couldn't give them a ride. Don't remember about jumping but I'm sure there's liability there.

It brings up its own set of problems, especially since I mostly camp alone, but I'm lucky in that my truck is a 5 speed. I can still pop start it if I need to.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #123

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I tried to give someone a jump once and their car melted my cheap jumper cables, they were so hot i nearly got burned disconnecting them and that was before they even tried to start. I don't remember which car I was driving, probably my Volvo 740 turbo wagon, and their car was an older honda. the Volvo had a decent sized battery, in fact the same one in our W124's. ruined a good set of heavy gauge pure copper jumper cables

anyways, I understand the reason for the parks policy. it could kill the ranger's truck and leave them stranded.
Yeah. Often things make sense at the same time they don't. Like the time a ranger told me I could not idle my truck to charge the batteries in my trailer at Yellowstone. This in the middle of the day with generators running all over the place.

I once jumped another car with my Dad's old '55 Dodge. It had metal bumpers and I had no cables. So I touched bumpers together and used the folding jack handle to connect the two battery + poles. I remember the rivet at the handle pivot point got hot and there was some sparking. But I got is started.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #124

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Perry, the RV tech stated that the glue technology has not been around long enough to know if panels only glued to the roof with remain so 10 or 15 years down the road. With bolts you know it will hold. I don't expect to be around 15 or 20 years from now, but my kids may have the trailer and having the possibility of the panels flying off when on the road is a chance I don't want to take. I don't mind a few bolts in the ceiling, although I can't say that my wife will find it appealing...
(My thought) would be (more) FLEX/ movement, thus concern that, like w/ DELAM, it will come loose/ rip loose on edges, air underneath, fold back and be lost on the highway?
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:09 PM   #125

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
My trailer is still in the shop. I am hoping the solar install will be done by May 1.

I had to pump up a TT tire about 2 seasons ago. Alligator clip the TV battery and... air hose was not long enough to extend to the TT tire. So rather than do the smart thing and unhitch, I got the bright idea of using my jumper cables (heavy duty) to attach to the alligator clips of the air pump. So...Postive and negative cables are all the same length...I laid them on the ground then proceeded to pump air into the tire. Alligator clips touched... Lesson learned.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:35 PM   #126

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
I laid them on the ground then proceeded to pump air into the tire. Alligator clips touched... Lesson learned.

What's a few sparks amongst friends?
Old 04-09-2020, 05:34 AM   #127

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
My trailer is still in the shop. I am hoping the solar install will be done by May 1.
How is your trailer? Was there any damage from the tornado?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #128

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by THene1713 View Post
(My thought) would be (more) FLEX/ movement, thus concern that, like w/ DELAM, it will come loose/ rip loose on edges, air underneath, fold back and be lost on the highway?
Yeah. My solar panels are currently attached with only 3M tape. I have no doubt the tape will hold. But the tape is only as good as what it's attached to. Gel coat, fiberglass. Or paint in some cases. If any of those surfaces can delaminate, then there's an issue. I'll likely put a couple bolts through my roof before too long, just to be safe.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #129

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelH View Post
Its proven VERY cost effective - Plug in sites cost me about $30 more per night than dry-camping sites. My system pays for itself every 100 nights off-grid.
I'm in the process of rereading this thread and I noticed this interesting statement by MelH. It makes me feel a lot better about all of the money I am spending.

When I go to My daughter's at the end of this year I may not need to plug in. If I need AC I can fire up my generator and keep the gas from getting stale.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #130

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
ThomasC, my trailer was parked at the RV service shop when the big tornadoes hit. There was destruction all around the shop but nothing in the shop was disturbed. The owner said he has a flat bed trailer with steel siding laying o it, unsecured. It did not even blow off the trailer. two smallish (maybe 1500 to 2000 square feet?) just built new home were completely gone, only the foundations left. This shop is located behind Walmart which was damaged. Thank you for asking.

I went with a Cummins Onan 2500 LP generator this time around only because of the hassle of needing to run my gas Honda eu3000is generator dry or draining out the gas when I stored it for the winter. I really like using LP, but in my opinion the Honda is far superior to the Cummins Onan. You may want to consider modifying your gen to LP: Be aware there is a slight power loss when making the change.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #131

Massachusetts
It is good to hear that your Bigfoot is OK. I found some of my solar prewiring the other day. There is a coil of wire under the trailer in the front right. Someone else mentioned behind the stereo so I will have to check there.

My inverter came in the other day. It is a Samlex EVO-2212. It should be interesting setting it up. It is supposed to do everything except cook dinner.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #132

Massachusetts
Gathering parts

I don't want to highjack this thread. I just didn't want to jumble my mod thread with out of order posts.

Well I have everything ordered except cable, crimper, and a couple or three batteries. I ordered 4 Lensun 110 watt flexible panels yesterday. We had a wicked storm yesterday. Being stuck in the house makes me spend money.

Well time to go finish the Pro-Pride installation.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #133

Montana
As to the bolts in the ceiling, ask around and see what others have done. I haven't worked through it in my head completely yet, but I'm thinking along the lines of something like carriage bolts, with the bolt head on the inside ceiling. I'm sure there's a way to make it nice and flush, with the other end and nut (the ugly side) outside sticking out of the roof.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #134

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
As to the bolts in the ceiling, ask around and see what others have done. I haven't worked through it in my head completely yet, but I'm thinking along the lines of something like carriage bolts, with the bolt head on the inside ceiling. I'm sure there's a way to make it nice and flush, with the other end and nut (the ugly side) outside sticking out of the roof.
I don't like carriage bolts in fiberglass. Too much stress concentration and they are designed for wood, where the square is driven in to hold the nut torque. Ouch, on fiberglass. Better, might be to use a round head, stainless, phillips drive machine screw with stainless washer or stainless fender washer. A flat head screw is another possibility, sits flush inside, but is much easier to pull through than a bolt head against a washer.

I've made the mistake of using Sikaflex to glue things down on my boat and when removed, the part would rip the fiberglass apart before it came off. Way strong. But bolts are comforting.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #135

Montana
Thanks, good advice. Yeah what I hadn't figured out yet was how to lock the carriage heads in place on the ceiling. Simple machine screws make a lot more sense, and it's not like you need a thick gauge bolt to hold a solar panel.

Good to know about sikaflex...too late for me. I bought my mounting kit from AM Solar, and sikaflex was their recommended sealant, so that's what I've got on my roof.

Tags
solar