Saved my Scamp from Fiery Death... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2022, 05:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
Saved my Scamp from Fiery Death...

... well, maybe someday. What I did do was a simple mod in response to a sad story I read here recently, in which a new Scamp Deluxe was lost to fire. The owner had a stored a metal bottle jack in the front closet. It came into contact with two exposed 12V electrical connections and made a short circuit, sparky, then smoky. By the time he pulled over, it was on fire.

Checking my own new(er) Scamp, I immediately found the problem. The new kill switch in the floor of the closet is connected to the 12v system just behind the cabinet wall. The two screw posts, positive and ground, are completely exposed.

My idea was to find some plastic of the proper circumference (8 1/2" inches), to be exact. I found it in the first place I looked, our "tupperware drawer," which is always overflowing with an excess of food storage tubs and their mismatching lids. Eureka, it's a fit! A Ziploc 8 oz container was the right diameter. I used a hacksaw to cut halfway through the open container wall, so it could fit over the wires. Once in place, I wrapped the base in clean white duct tape and called a good day's work. It feels quite sturdy now, like it won't come off easily.

Here's some photos of the process (sorry, not in proper order)-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1729.jpg   IMG_1730.jpg  

IMG_1731.jpg   IMG_1732.jpg  

IMG_1728.jpg  
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:11 PM   #2

Name: Kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
My 2021 Scamp was like that too, I ended up making a removable shelf to keep stuff from touching but also protect some of the wiring that ran through. I was kind of surprised to see it like that when I first got it. I did wrap the terminals with electrical tape as well just in case.
ken_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
You'd think that in 50 years they'd have learned not to make mistakes like this. But I believe the DC kill switch was introduced in 2020-21. So maybe they messed up by changing one little thing in 50 years?
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:38 PM   #4

Name: Kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Travel trailers are in a unique place. They probably don't have the protections of building codes like houses, yet we live in them. They do not have as much of road safety systems as an automobile does (ABS/structural integrity), yet we lug them down an interstate. Even the highest quality trailer, you have to do you best to make it safe compared to a car or house.
ken_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:42 AM   #5

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
The two screw posts, positive and ground, are completely exposed.
Ummm... technically no. Oh, they definitely are exposed, but they are both on the positive battery side of the electrical consumers in the trailer when the switch contact is closed, so both terminals on that kill switch are considered 'positive'.

The advice of providing insulation to prevent conductive items from shorting between any positive and ground is wise.
That's why I also don't store a bottle jack on top of the exposed terminals of my battery.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I have several 12V (cigarette lighter) jacks in my new to me trailer. The rear connections wires are exposed. I have worried about them being shorted out. I have had no luck in finding a rear cover cap, there are all kinds of front cover caps. I thought I have seen a rubber rear cap in the past. My next move is to tape a plastic pill bottle over the rear connections. If anyone has info. on a rear rubber cap let me know.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:25 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I have several 12V (cigarette lighter) jacks in my new to me trailer. The rear connections wires are exposed. I have worried about them being shorted out. I have had no luck in finding a rear cover cap, there are all kinds of front cover caps. I thought I have seen a rubber rear cap in the past. My next move is to tape a plastic pill bottle over the rear connections. If anyone has info. on a rear rubber cap let me know.
Eddie
Heat shrink and electrical tape or paint it up with liquid electrical tape.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:03 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
my favorite cover for the back side of things that might be exposed to rough conditions is an appropriate sized white PVC water pipe cap
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:10 AM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon MB View Post
Ummm... technically no. Oh, they definitely are exposed, but they are both on the positive battery side of the electrical consumers in the trailer when the switch contact is closed, so both terminals on that kill switch are considered 'positive'..
And Tupperware everywhere breathes a sigh of relief.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
the connections would arc however, if there was a DC load connected in the trailer, the switch was in the open position, and something conductive fell across the terminals. think of the arc you get when you connect an external battery charger to a battery, in this case you are closing or completing a circuit, and if there is a heavy enough load, it will spark

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp