Scamp 13 Power Inlet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Scamp 13 Power Inlet

So, this Spring I decided to do something about the floor rot in the back of the trailer. I've pulled everything out, and removed the rotten OSB, cut a new piece of 3/4 inch ply and all that good stuff.

While I was in there, I was looking at the power inlet, or that big open hole to the outside world that all kinds of critters and other things could come in through. I decided before I start putting everything back in, I want to change that out.

So I got to looking at these:
F30INS-PS - Power Inlets - Marine Shore Power - Electrical

I thought I read here that another owner has installed one of these on a Scamp, so I was wondering, did they go with the square as above or the round:
F30INR-PS - Power Inlets - Marine Shore Power - Electrical

Also, did you you think I will have to trim the shell to get that in?

Finally I also saw the Stainless version
F30INS-SS - Power Inlets - Marine Shore Power - Electrical

while nice and shiny and I like shiny, I don't know how it will look on the trailer, any thoughts?
jcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Did it years ago and it really makes life simpler. Simple to use an extension cord, keeps out the ants that walk in on the cable, Gives you storage room where the cable went into the camper, etc. Can't remember if I had to saw the glass or not.
You can run most everything with a 12 gauge extension cord.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I had thought about doing that, but then you do have to store the cord somewhere, and remember to bring it along when going camping. I simply wad-up a plastic shopping bag around the cord in that cavernous opening and close the lid down. This not only has kept the bugs out while camping, but as well as the rain while traveling down the highway. Very quick, inexpensive fix.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jim
I recently installed a square plastic Furron connector. I like the little blue light feature so you can tell if you have power applied. I put a cargo door on the rear drivers side so I had to drill a hole to fit the connector. I think others may have gone with another brand which was a little larger so it would cover your existing power plug hole without making an adapter plate. If I find the post I will let you know. I know it was available on Amazon.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Jim
I could not find the post that talked about the larger connector used to cover the existing hole. Scamp uses two types of cable covers one is much larger than the other and you may have to make a larger bushing to mount your new connector in the old power plug hole. FWIW I was just going to make a bushing out of a thin white cutting board from Wal-Mart.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #6

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Scamp 13 Power Inlet

I ditched this on my scamp 19:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1397216754.711870.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	69725

I installed this:

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1397216778.484350.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	69726Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1397216800.684797.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	69727

The ring only came with holes for three screws, it didn't seal it tight enough to the camper for my liking, so I drilled three more.

It came with this end to put on the existing cord:

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1397216910.198720.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	69728

It sticks out to far for my liking and flexed the fiberglass a bit, so I bought one of these with a 90* end that works much better:

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1397216963.550238.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	69729

I then switched the end on the factory cord to turn it into an extension cord if the yellow one isn't long enough. The end is hard to find, camping world had them.

I didn't have a choice, with twin 20 gallon water tanks, there's no way to stuff the cord past the tank and into the bench. I think it's an excellent mod for anybody. It's sealed, and the cord isn't wrapping around crap under the bench. I've never understood the argument of forgetting it. Pull it out of the camper, plug it in. Unhook it, roll it up, place it in the camper. Why store it somewhere else, or take it out, except to plug it in?!
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Thanks for all the info guys, we went with the square white Furron with the little blue led. The edge of the connector covered the existing hole and the part where you do the wiring was smaller than the existing hole.

I only need to drill out the new screw holes and fill the original ones. I mounted it with 4 SS machine screws, washers and nuts. Then took the remainder of the original cable and put a new end on it to make it into the needed "extension cord".

Plugged it in and everything powered up as it should. I really like the look of the new connector and like the piece of mind having that hole filled. I hate ants getting in, and my wife is deathly afraid of spiders, so knowing they can't climb the cable is nice.

As for storing the cable, I will either put in just inside the door, or the PO of my trailer put a wood platform on the rear bumper, about 12" wide. I might create a small box on it to store the cable and other things I don't want to keep inside.

I'll see if I can remember to get some photos of the install later.
jcassady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
On my 16 foot, I installed a standard 15 amp flanged power inlet in the stock power cord entrance port. See my web site - Dan and Dawn's Scamp Travel Trailer - click on modifications and repairs, and scroll down to 'Power Inlet'.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp