Scamp 5er electrical problem - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
While you're on the line, Byron:

I think you must have looked at the Scamp wiring diagram:

If the converter is working properly, shouldn't it be putting 12v power directly to the various fixtures, and working independently of the battery?

Francesca
If the battery has a shorted cell, the converter/charger will attempt to charge it with a full 20+ amp (American Converter, which is what Scamp was using for quite awhile). If the battery wants more, which it would with a shorted cell, the converter/charger will fold back to lower voltage to the point of putting out a maximum of 20 amps. Any other 12 volt item you turned on would attempt to increase the current output and cause a lower voltage output and converter would still be supplying only 20 amps.

Hope that makes sense to you.

One real problem with people that put in 45 amp converter/chargers, the wiring isn't big enough to handle 45 amps. With a 45 amp converter/charger, current 20 amp wiring, and a battery with a shorted cell you could have a bit of a fire.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
At least on my scamp the converter will power all 12 volt circuits without a battery hooked up
See my response to Francesca.

Celial could pull the battery and see it things come and work properly then. That would confirm that she has a bad battery.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Now if she has one of those cheap, plug in $2.50 voltage readers, we'd have more to go on.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
At least on my Scamp the converter will power all 12 volt circuits without a battery hooked up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

Celia could pull the battery and see it things come and work properly then. That would confirm that she has a bad battery.
Hear that, Celia? An easy way to isolate the problem, or at least narrow it down!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
So I think I've found all the fuses, wiring, etc., although what I have is not what Scamp uses now... I unhooked the battery and had NO power inside to the 12V - so it is the converter. Ordered a new one and all the stuff that goes with it, install next week I hope. Thanks for the help
CeliaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Good goin', Celia!

And here's hoping that the old converter didn't fry the battery so you won't have to buy a new one of those, too...

Keep us posted!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Update! My electrical engineer friend was over; we traced back all the wiring, fuses, checked with and without the battery - and the problem was a shorted PUMP! Apparently the switch to the water pump was left on (oops) and the short took out the battery and all the other 12V stuff. Never blew the fuse though. The battery, converter, switch breaker box, and all the fuses are fine. Tomorrow I'll find out if Scamp will take all the unneeded parts back... We labeled everything and I got a crash course in trouble shooting, so hopefully the next time I can narrow down the problem faster. Still not sure I can fix it though Thank you all again!
CeliaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, scamp